Thread: Disney War

• Hey it's that guy I am.

Thumbs up Disney War

This has probably been posted before, however, I would like to fully recommend Disney War by James B. Stewart.

It is not just for the Hardcore Disney Fan or even the casual fan. It is an interesting read for anyone that is interested in Disney, the entertainment industry, or even corporate politics.

I am about to finish it up and I can't wait. I have about 28 pages left. It starts with Eisner at paramount and goes all the way through to his leaving the company. There are also many interesting stories that ranged from amusing me to completely flooring me. One example is Eisner passing on the lord of the rings because he said that they would never make good movies!

Anyways I highly recommend it, although it is 528 pages, its hard to put down and a pretty easy read. Hope some pick it up and check it out, enjoy!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Re: Disney War

Thanks!
    It's in my big pile of books I still have to read It might be moving up to the top of that pile!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I thought it was a good book. The author really shows all sides of Eisner. He starts out as a god and ends his career at Disney as the Devil. Interesting.

It's also interesting to note that no one in that book really comes out the other side clean, maybe a couple, but still lots of ego is bad news.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I love this book. Showed me a different side of Eisner and Disney for that matter. Also, in a way, it shows how Stanley Gold ruined Roy's career at Disney.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I bought DisneyWar the day it was released and read it immediately. The only down side to me was that the publication was rushed. The book end with uncertainty regarding Eisner's remaining tenure at The Walt Disney Company. It felt like too much of a "here and now" book and would be lacking in a true end even today.

I'd also recommend an earlier work on Eisner, Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everybody Else by Kim Masters.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I bought DisneyWar the day it was released and read it immediately. The only down side to me was that the publication was rushed. The book end with uncertainty regarding Eisner's remaining tenure at The Walt Disney Company. It felt like too much of a "here and now" book and would be lacking in a true end even today.

I'd also recommend an earlier work on Eisner, Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the Fall of Everybody Else by Kim Masters.
    Does it put some perspective on Disney War? I like the book but its still just one account of the Eisner Era.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

When one looks at when Keys to the Kingdom was published, I think it provides some insight that, at least, some people knew something was going to happen with Eisner (the shareholder revolt). I cannot recall any sort of disagreements between the two books, but I read them about a year apart.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I've read it at least twice. It's facinating to me that Eisener was that oblivious around the author. Didn't he have a clue about how he would come across? Oops. Also very cool to read about how the media moguls would meet over the Summer. How cool to be a fly on the wall with all of those egos in the room.

•   

I bought this when it came out and read about half and then I totally forgot about it. I think I was re-reading some Harry Potters or moving or something. Thanks for reminding me about it again! It's time to bring it back out.

Sometimes I wonder how bad movies get made, but after readin Disney War I guess its not that hard to fathom. With egos on the line, the ever increasing bottom line, and the blind devotion to you own idea. Wierd.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squashandstretch View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how bad movies get made, but after readin Disney War I guess its not that hard to fathom. With egos on the line, the ever increasing bottom line, and the blind devotion to you own idea. Wierd.
    A bad movie is one thing, a bad string of movies is entirely different. I think the biggest problem has been that there is a desire to be Walt when really the person should be looking to be more like Roy O.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow. I found this book at Barnes and Noble a few months ago for $5 and haven't read it yet.

Now I think I am going to take a look at it. This is really piquing my interest!

• FL born, CA grown

I finished reading it last week. It was very interesting. It sure shows that the company needs another Walt/Roy, Eisner/Wells to run the Disney Corporation properly.
    -Todd, Ginarella's loving husband.

The Greatest Rock Band EVER!

• Huh?

Wait... was there another edition published that added his end at the company? From what I remember, the book was released just before that infamous stockholder's meeting during the entire "Save Disney" campaign.
    -Tim