• Oh bother!

Cirque de Soleil's "Wintuk" in NYC

I bought tickets to this show when they went on sale almost a year ago, based on how much I loved Mystere, O, Kooza and Saltimbanco.
    Well, it debuted this past week and the reviews are TERRIBLE. This just sucks all the joy out of our outcoming roadtrip. Apparently people are referring to it as "Win - Suck."

Has anyone here seen the show? What did you think?

Oh and if want to read reviews from Cirque fans...
    1. The Forums on the official Cirque de Soleil site
    2. Cirque Tribune - a fan forum (kind of like MiceChat for CdeS! lol)
    3. Tripadvisor - type in "Wintuk" and read the peer reviews (forum) starting on page 2
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13

• Neep meep beep

Re: Cirque de Soleil's "Wintuk" in NYC

THAT is disappointing. I suppose it was only a matter of time until the brand was diluted some

We are going on DEC 2 and we heard it was not that great. They almost left after act1 but they said act 2 is better.

• Magic Making

not to be nit picky, buts its Cirque DU Soleil.

I worked with them on one production on tour for 2 months. Trying to work with 15 different languages being spoken and things having to be translated 4000 times, got annoying. Some of the spot op and lighting cues were called 3 or 4 times in 3 or 4 different languages (english was first) so you really had to pay attention or your spot cue would be missed. Then trying to do a hang with them is like being in a tornado. Truss pieces flying this way and that, lights being hoisted left and right, cables dropping in from all angles, then you have idiots you double hang a pre-hung truss while the motor truss is trying to be hoisted up below it. The motor truss is what will support that double pre hung (with lights that is) truss for hte show. All trusses are temp hoisted with cables for trim height and leveling.

Now as for the Wintuk show. Talked to friends of mine that were on my tour that are working on that show. They said its a tech nightmare. Not to mention most of the effects dont always work when cued up by the board and have to be manually done. The articulated lamposts have broken already, and are not up to par with Disneys AAs. Plus all those huge puppets are causing peformers injuries. Anyone recalling back to the day of Tapestry of Nations and Dreams? I knew a person in that parade. He did the Inverted Marionette which has a balance of a triangle, top heavy. One day the puppet broke left, he went right and tore all the ligaments in his back. The Hammer men had facial issues. When you walked you had to look left then right then left then right as not to get hit in the face with the leg panels.
    Last edited by SparkyLD; 11-27-2007 at 04:56 AM.

• Oh bother!

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLD View Post
    Now as for the Wintuk show. Talked to friends of mine that were on my tour that are working on that show. They said its a tech nightmare. Not to mention most of the effects dont always work when cued up by the board and have to be manually done. The articulated lamposts have broken already, and are not up to par with Disneys AAs. Plus all those huge puppets are causing peformers injuries.
    I'm thinking that if this is the case, those problems should have been solved BEFORE the performances started and people like me forked over big bucks for tickets (not to mention 20 hours driving and hotel costs) in the mistaken belief that this show was performance ready and of typical Cirque quality.
    WDW '82 '90 '94 '99 '01 '04 '09x2 '10
    DLR '05 '06 '08 '13