Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Your top albums of 2007

What were your favorite albums released in 2007?

Mine:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
    IMO, the perfect blend of funk, electronica and rock. From beginning to end, just an awesome album. Their first self-titled album isn't bad either.

Rush - Snakes and Arrows
    Bet you thought this would be #1 didn't you. Normally, any new Rush album would be for me, but Sound of Silver was just unbelievably good. This album however was so honest and from the heart. And also kicked some major ***. How this didn't make Rolling Stones list of top 50 albums is beyond me. But it's rolling stone, kind of expected since they actually suck.

Radiohead - In Rainbows
    I'm a recent Radiohead fan (I know, what's wrong with me). I just never really 'got' them until I really let my guard down and listened to them. This album is awesome and is right up there with OK Computer and Kid A IMO.

Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
    From beginning to end, one of the stronger albums from the Foo's. IMO they are one of the better pure rock bands around. Their songs will kick you where it counts and not let go. But lyrically, their songs actually mean something which is great.

Meet the Robinsons Soundtrack
    Between Danny Elfman's score and the additional songs on the album, great all the way around.

Hairspray Soundtrack
    Great soundtrack from a great movie

Biggest Dissapointment

The Killers - Sams Town
    After the awesomeness that was Hot Fuss, this was a MAJOR let-down. I think I've listened to it once.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Re: Your top albums of 2007

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Hairspray Soundtrack
    Great soundtrack from a great movie
    I totally hear ya' on this one. We put this CD in the car and it played on every trip from July 20 through sometime in September.

• For You!

I checked out a few top albums of 2007 lists - wow, I didn't know over 3/4 of the bands. But, I did find one that really intrigued me - Robert Plant and Allison Krauss. I like both of them individually, could be interesting.

The only full CD I bought this year was the Robinsons Soundtrack - everything else was individually on Itunes.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Senior Minion

Noel - Josh Groban - an amazing classic Christmas album. I'm not surprised that it did as well as it did.

Inside Out - Emmy Rossum - I like how she did the vocal layering and co-wrote almost all of the songs and that they were serious topics about real feelings. I was expecting a classical album (a la charlotte church) because she has a trained opera voice, but I loved her album. Her Christmas EP was really good to, I love the vocal layering on 'Carol Of The Bells'.

Hairspray Soundtrack - Awesomeness

Enchanted Soundtrack - The songs are so catchy and upbeat, I can't wait to own the movie.

Dissapointment:

Insomniac - Aly & AJ - I loved their first album and their christmas album so I had high hopes for this one. The first track was good, but the rest were too hard-rock-ish for my taste not sounding at all like them.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Circle of Ancients

Kaiser Chiefs-Yours Truly Angry Mob, Great album

Sweeney Todd movie soundtrack-I can't get enough of this album.

MuteMath- Another good album. I saw them at concert recently. Great entertainers
    Last edited by Ginarella; 01-04-2008 at 11:27 AM.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Biggest Dissapointment

The Killers - Sams Town
    After the awesomeness that was Hot Fuss, this was a MAJOR let-down. I think I've listened to it once.
    I thought the same thing at first but I had to listen to it a few times and now I love it.
    I haven't bought their newest one of B sides yet though. They felt they needed to release that to make up for what Sams Town didn't have.

• Disneyland PAP

Soundtracks took up a lotta time in my CD players last year: Hairspray (the new film), Jersey Boys, and Avenue Q. I also liked Meet the Robinsons.

Also, these weren't great albums, but I'm glad they came out last year because I love their music: The Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden," Matchbox Twenty's "Exile on Mainstream."

• Grumpy old man

I didn't get nearly as much new music this year as I've done in the past because I decided to stop being a pirate, which severely limited my music consumption. But out of what I got, here's some of my favorites.

Two Gallants - Two Gallants
    Two Gallants just keeping better. I haven't listened to this as much as their other two albums, but I love it just the same. This one is going to get them mainstream attention too, and I hope it won't change them too much, but Saddle Creek is good to their artists.

Radiohead - In Rainbows
    I was never a Radiohead fan, but I couldn't pass up a free download like this. I wasn't disappointed by the album and I enjoyed it.

Ted Leo - Living with the Living
    I don't think Ted Leo can do any wrong. This album was fantastic. Lots of great songs

!!! - Myth Takes
    I don't think this was as good as their early stuff, but still really good dance music.

Lifetime - Lifetime
    I don't think a comeback was right for them. It was a decent album, but not as great as their early stuff

Biggest disappointment:
    Against Me! - New Wave
    I was one of the few fans who stuck with them as they signed to Fat Wreck and went a bit more mainstream and left their DIY past behind. But when they signed to Sire, they lost a lot. Most of the songs are saying the same thing "our fans say we sold out, but what do they know". The music in all the songs sounds exactly the same, the vocals have no passion. It's truly their worst album.

• That Guy

Thank GOD you guys are coming around about Radiohead. They are amazing, and their body of work is unreal.

Here are my favorite artists of 07.

Arcade Fire

Sufjan Stevens

TV on the Radio

Radiohead

The Nationals

Editors

• Minion

Top album of 2007 - Hannah Montana 2: Meet Miley Cyrus

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
    Orson - Culture Vultures (I didn't get it til last month but it came out in November 2007 so it counts)
    Hard-Fi - One Upon A Time In the West
    Anberlin - Cities
    Hello Operator - The Breaks
    Plain White T's - Every Second Counts

Biggest disappointment: Duran Duran - Red Carpet Massacre (I love them, but this album sucked).

FYI... Sam's Town by The Killers came out in 2006. The B-sides/Unreleased tracks album, Sawdust, came out in 2007. I agree Sam's Town was terrible. It was the biggest disappointment of 2006 for me.

Here's hoping 2008 is a better year in music. I'm already looking forward to the new Boy Kill Boy album.
    Last edited by aimster; 02-11-2008 at 02:09 PM.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Radiohead
    Good Charlotte
    Say Anything
    Sweeney Todd
    Foo Fighters

• Minion

Justice - Cross
    What Daft Punk should have evolved into with "Human After All", amazing electro album.

The Horrors - Strange House
    It's bizzare, psychedelic, and even a little bit goth. But I couldn't get enough of it last year.

!!! - Myth Takes
    The singing isn't that great, but you'd have to be considered dead if you didn't enjoy this.

The Noisettes - What's the Time Mr. Wolf?
    I haven't heard a rock album this fun in a while.

M.I.A. - Kala
    Thesound is pretty tribal, and the lyrics can be kinda thought provoking. I just love this woman.

Lupe Fiasco- The Cool
    The content is much darker than his first album, but the sound is so much slicker.

Kanye West - Graduation
    IMO "Stronger" made this album worthwhile. But it's nice to see how Kanye's newfound appreciation of House and Elecro music has influenced this album.

The White Stripes - Icky Thump
    Um, this is pretty much obligatory for me since i've been such a huge fan of them for years.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Folly View Post
    Justice - Cross
    What Daft Punk should have evolved into with "Human After All", amazing electro album.

The Horrors - Strange House
    It's bizzare, psychedelic, and even a little bit goth. But I couldn't get enough of it last year.

!!! - Myth Takes
    The singing isn't that great, but you'd have to be considered dead if you didn't enjoy this.

The Noisettes - What's the Time Mr. Wolf?
    I haven't heard a rock album this fun in a while.

M.I.A. - Kala
    Thesound is pretty tribal, and the lyrics can be kinda thought provoking. I just love this woman.

Lupe Fiasco- The Cool
    The content is much darker than his first album, but the sound is so much slicker.

Kanye West - Graduation
    IMO "Stronger" made this album worthwhile. But it's nice to see how Kanye's newfound appreciation of House and Elecro music has influenced this album.

The White Stripes - Icky Thump
    Um, this is pretty much obligatory for me since i've been such a huge fan of them for years.
    MF,

Hey, something is wrong with your computer, the rest of your post didn't appear. The part where you list Radiohead, TV on the Radio, Nationals, Editors, Peter Bjorn & John, Besnard Lakes, etc.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    MF,

Hey, something is wrong with your computer, the rest of your post didn't appear. The part where you list Radiohead, TV on the Radio, Nationals, Editors, Peter Bjorn & John, Besnard Lakes, etc.
    I knew that free AVG anti-virus software was crap. I don't know how I forgot about Peter Bjorn & John though, that album was pretty good. I'm not really a fan of the other groups though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast