Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TERRIBLE reviews for The Little Mermaid on Broadway

Here is an excerpt of the SCATHING review from NYTimes

"Directed by Francesca Zambello, this “Little Mermaid” burdens its performers with ungainly guess-what-I-am costumes (by Tatiana Noginova) and a distracting set (by George Tsypin) awash in pastels gone sour and unidentifiable giant tchotchkes that suggest a Luau Lounge whipped up by an acid-head heiress in the 1960s. The whole enterprise is soaked in that sparkly garishness that only a very young child — or possibly a tackiness-worshiping drag queen — might find pretty.

Come to think of it, the motto of this production, the latest and least of the Disney musicals to besiege Broadway since “Beauty and the Beast” opened in 1994, could be, “You can never go broke underestimating the taste of preschoolers.”

http://theater2.nytimes.com/2008/01/...ws/11merm.html

• Senior Minion

Re: TERRIBLE reviews for The Little Mermaid on Broadway

It's a real shame. These are issues that were raised in the tryout reviews and they haven't done anything about them for the Broadway production?
    What the heck are tryouts for?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Quality not quantity

In a backhanded way this could be a good thing. At times it seems like the suites at Disney feel that all they need to is slap the "Disney" label on any old thing and people will flock to it. Hopefully the occasional flop will help discourage this point of view.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• For You!

Elisabeth from the View raved on and on about it - thought it was incredible.

I usually don't listen to critics anyway.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen View Post
    Elisabeth from the View raved on and on about it - thought it was incredible.
    Wow. So it really is as bad as people are saying.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    In a backhanded way this could be a good thing. At times it seems like the suites at Disney feel that all they need to is slap the "Disney" label on any old thing and people will flock to it. Hopefully the occasional flop will help discourage this point of view.
    That already happened with Tarzan.

I'm goign to ignore the critics on this one. As others have pointed out, many ciritcs absolutely loathed Beauty and the Beast and yet that show was incredibly successful. I don't think Mermaid will have too many problems. Many people won't even see these reviews.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I dunno... I don't think this will go the way of Tarzan
    As we were discussing in another threat. When Beauty and the Beast opened it got terrible reviews as well and we all know how that story ended
    I think Mermaid has more of a core fan base than something like Tarzan and will be able to hopefully win over fans

I saw it in Denver and while I will admit there were some issue and it probably wasn't the most amazing show I have ever seen, I really did enjoy it and I thought a lot of the decisions they made with it (such as heelys and fiber glass water) were actually good solutions. I think it takes a little suspension of belief and looking at it from a more artisitic interpretation.

*shrug* Just my thoughts

• I am number 4 of 999

Hunh... those weren't the reviews I got in my email from Disney the other day! lol
    We have tickets to see it on... THURSDAY!!!! I sooooo can't wait!!! Original cast!!! W0ot!!!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Sea Creature

The Philadelphia Inquirer, Time, and The Wall Street Journal raved about the show. I think it will be just fine. It's selling well and based on what I hear, the audience unanimously enjoys the show. Beauty and the Beast received very similar reviews and look how it has done
    Last edited by DisneySeaFan; 01-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.

• Banned User

Best line ever:

"...unidentifiable giant tchotchkes that suggest a Luau Lounge whipped up by an acid-head heiress in the 1960s."

I simply must find an excuse to use "acid-head heiress" in conversation. Truly sublime.

Like the guy in Ratatouille said, bad reviews are fun to write. The Internet is full of them, check any good humor site and there will be negative reviews.

We should listen so we don't spend our money on something horrible, but remember that sometimes the critics don't know what the people want. The same can be applied in reverse.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• Senior Minion

I listened to the entire soundtrack and I found that I really like it. I've seen some youtube clips of the show as well and if you use your imagination then you can believe that it takes place under the sea.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• I am number 4 of 999

While of course it wasn't horrible, I don't know that it was Broadway caliber. It just wasn't very good. Or worth $100 per person. There were hardly any props and very little scenery to speak of. They didn't really write new songs, they just put words to already existing melodies from the movie. And to me, the cast kind of had this, "you already know all of the words and how everything is portrayed, so why do I have to do it?" attitude. Nobody walks past that theater thinking, "The Little Mermaid? I wonder what that is about?" and so they take liberties with the story that I think were just them being lazy, rather than trying to extend the storyline to get more of an insight of the characters. And the final confrontation with Ursula was pretty much nothing. I won't suggest seeing it if someone asks me if they should.

I'll stick to watching the original movie, thanks, but I AM counting down the days until the soundtrack is released!
    Last edited by ghosty4; 01-27-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Minion

I have heard both good things and bad things about the show. Right now I just think that there are too many movies being made into musicals. Where is the imagination? I read the other day Shrek is coming to Broadway. I wish that Disney would come up with more original things, which we don't already know 1/2 the stroy line.
    Jeff Wayne

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I just saw it today with my theater arts class. I will say that it falls into the middle of the road for me. Not great, but not awful either. There were many things I liked about the show, the music, the actors (Ariel, Ursula, and Flounder especially), many of the effects (swimming from under the sea to the surface is still amazing, just like it was in Tarzan). Heelies I thought were a GREAT idea, and really helped with the issue of the characters swimming underwater. A nice touch, and very well done.

However, there were a few issues that I had about the show as well too. The costumes to me left something to be desired, especially Sebastian. The eyes on a hat were just annoying and distracting, and made the whole costume look cheap. And Ronald McDonald boots for the seagulls? No. The story of course has been changed, and what has been posted already, the ending kind of just cheapens out. Act I is MUCH stronger than Act II, and the ending just gets a little odd, with the mermaids dancing with the human men? Also, the seagulls in general were very weak characters and largely just annoying.

As I was talking to a friend, we both came to the conclusion that this was an infantilized Broadway musical. It is not high art, but it's decent, and certainly will continue to last for a while at any rate, due to the crowds of you girls who were taken to see the show. All in all, it is made to appeal to the younger sets, and with the colorful lights, shiny objects, and heelies. It works, and adults may enjoy parts of it as well. Just don't expect to be wowed by it.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast