Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

The Little Mermaid Broadway Soundtrack

Today The Little Mermaid Original Broadway Cast Soundtrack came out to purchase. I bought mine off of Itunes and I must say that I'm very impressed. Although its highly unlikely I will be able to see the production till it comes here in California, I have been excited about this production from the start! The new songs compliment the beloved old ones perfectly and the voices are just phenomenal. I highly suggest any Disney, Little Mermaid, or Broadway lover purchase this soundtrack as its a wonderful addition to any collection!

Amazon: Little Mermaid Broadway Soundtrack

Jeff Wayne

Re: The Little Mermaid Broadway Soundtrack

Just got it a few days ago. It's a lot better than I expected!
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I've had it for a few weeks now (they sent it early b/c I preordered it when I saw the show in Denver)
    I really really enjoy the music! It's quickly becoming one of my fave Disney albums.

• Banned User

It was excellent!

Glad to hear the cast album is good. I've not been impressed by the clips I've seen.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I'll make my decision to buy it or not after I see the show in April. Assumptions are that it will eventually be a part of my collection.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Sea Creature

iTunes currently has it for $7.99. That's a friggin steal! 29 tracks for 8 bucks; how can you pass that up? I heard that the price will expire soon so get yours now!

• Minion

I got the soundtrack the other night and I really love it! I'm more impressed than I expected. I've impressed by the sheer number of songs. The soundtrack is approximately 78 minutes long - the original movie is only 83 minutes. I didn't realize they added that much. After hearing so much praise for her, I wasn't as impressed with Sherie Rene Scott as I expected. I like her but I guess her voice just isn't what I imagine for Ursula. Her part overall sounds more comical than menacing. I love Sierra Boggess as Ariel. She just sounds so great and captures Ariel really well. "Part of Your World" sends shivers down my spine. Actually I think all of the singers are really good, with Eric probably being the weakest lead. I was pleasantly surprised with all of the new songs. There's not really a song I don't like. Obviously, some are better than others there are none that I simply dislike. "If Only" is by far the best new track. It's an absolutely incredible song. Actually, any new song in which Ariel seems really great. I also really enjoy "She's In Love", which reminds me a lot of "Won't Say I'm in Love" from Hercules. The only song to me that doesn't sound to really fit in with the original tracks is "I Want the Good Times Back." I like the song but I feel like it doesn't fit in really well. It sounds very Stephen Schwartz-ish to me. Overall though, I love this soundtrack and it's easily going to become one of my favorites.
    Last edited by kirbilicious; 03-03-2008 at 08:23 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I bought it from iTunes. For that price, how could I resist? I agree with what was said above: The new songs impressed me more than I thought they would, though some seemed out of place (While I liked "She's in Love," I didn't think the style really fit TLM). And as for the actress who plays Ursula, I didn't think she really fit what I had in mind. Too comical it seems, and not the menace that Pat Carroll's voice has for her.

I'm looking more forward to seeing this in April now though.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Now that I'm over the initial "Ursula doesn't sound like Ursula" phase, I'm really starting to like Sherie Rene Scott playing the part the more that I listen to the soundtrack. I think it's an interesting take on the character.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Now that I'm over the initial "Ursula doesn't sound like Ursula" phase, I'm really starting to like Sherie Rene Scott playing the part the more that I listen to the soundtrack. I think it's an interesting take on the character.
    That's how I felt the first time I listened to the soundtrack, but she does an amazing job once you get over that phase. Thanks Al for featuring this post in the weekly postings.
    Jeff Wayne

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Mermaid Cast Recording Charts High on Billboard 200

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill
    05 Mar 2008

The cast recording of The Little Mermaid — which arrived in stores Feb. 26 on the Walt Disney Records label — entered the Billboard 200 at number 26 on the famed chart.

The debut was the highest for a Broadway cast recording in over a decade: Rent's original cast recording debuted at number 19 in 1996.

The Mermaid CD also placed in the top position on Billboard's Cast Album Chart. The Disney recording sold over 20,000 units during its first week of release.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/115637.html
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

I actually like Sherie Rene Scott. If you think about how her voice relates to her character and costume, it fits a lot better because it wouldve been hard to have this ernormous octopus thing on stage. I think all the leads are great, and I like listening to the new songs where you can see hints of Part of Your World or one of the original songs. I agree, a good steal for 7 bucks!
    If we chase the stars to lose our shadow, Peter Pan and Wendy turned out fine.

• Fairies and Mermaids!

I've been looking forward to this soundtrack for a long time, and I was more than satisfied! To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but this is really good stuff on here. So, if the show itself isn't great, at least the music and the new songs are (more than I can say for most of the new songs
    in the Tarzan musical which had a few new gems but little else). Personally, having more than one CD with Sherie Rene Scott (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Last 5 Years), I was more than pleased with her version of the sea witch as she ends up bringing a new twist to a classic Disney villain. This has quickly become one of my new favorites up there with Beauty and the Beast OBC. Must be a Menken, Ashman thing. lol.

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

• Minion

The more I think about, I really like the new twist on Ursula and I think it was a wise decision. Pat Carroll's performance in the original was just so perfect that any attempt to mimic her would probably just be a huge disappointment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast