• Banned User

Angry Stay Away from the Tonys Passing Strange!

Okay,

You remembered last year's Tony Awards that Spring Awakening beat Mary Poppins which makes the worst Tony Award ceremony ever. And now, there's another enemy this year that I wish it never recieve a Tony nominee for Best Musical this year. And it's called Passing Strange. This musical deals with sex, drugs, and racism. I was hoping that this will be a failure, but those damn critics like it! So, what I'm saying is I am never Passing Strange to be part of the ceremony. Never! Stay away from the Tonys Passing Strange! I don't want to let the musicals to beat Disney again! Of course, In the Heights sounds like a better musical. In the Heights, if you beat that evil Passing Strange, you'll have my permission to win for Best Musical.

Okay, I know it's part of my obsession behavior, but I don't want to let that happen again.

• Minion

Re: Stay Away from the Tonys Passing Strange!

Just because a play has Disney's name slapped on it doesn't mean it is the best and automatically deserves the best. I've never seen Spring Awakening or Passing Strange but they both sound like really good and interesting shows to me. Why do you want Passing Strange to fail so badly? Because it doesn't deal with mermaids, a woman who flies by umbrealla, or talking animals? I hate to break it to you but not every musical can be a fantasy. Just because a show deals with drugs, sex, and racism doesn't mean it is a bad show. It sounds like it's a show that deals with real, contemporary issues. And honestly, based on the critic's reviews, I'll doubt you'll even see The Little Mermaid in the running for Best Musical.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Just because a play has Disney's name slapped on it doesn't mean it is the best and automatically deserves the best. I've never seen Spring Awakening or Passing Strange but they both sound like really good and interesting shows to me. Why do you want Passing Strange to fail so badly? Because it doesn't deal with mermaids, a woman who flies by umbrealla, or talking animals? I hate to break it to you but not every musical can be a fantasy. Just because a show deals with drugs, sex, and racism doesn't mean it is a bad show. It sounds like it's a show that deals with real, contemporary issues. And honestly, based on the critic's reviews, I'll doubt you'll even see The Little Mermaid in the running for Best Musical.
    Very well said. I couldn't agree more. To make such a judgment on productions you really have to broaden yourself up to more of them. There has been thousands of musicals and plays that deal with these issues.
    Jeff Wayne

• Man O Lantern

Have you seen Spring Awakening or Mary Poppins? I've heard nothing but glowing things about Spring Awakening and I just about cried when it won. I'll finally get to see it next year when it goes on the road.

Just because this is a Disney board doesn't mean we're all pre-disposed to love all things Disney above anything else.

Have you seen Passing Strange? How can you judge it otherwise?

• Banned User

Because I want this year to be better than last year. But I am very interested of In the Hieghts. In the Heights really looks like a great musical. I'l be rooting for Little Mermaid and In the Heights. If In the Heights wins for Best Musical that's okay. Sorry I get carried away. And I still don't think Passing Strange will be eligable for Best Musical. Maybe for Best Score but to me, not going to happen. I know it's to early to predict the Tony Nomination, but here's my prediction:

Best Musical:
    A Catered Affair
    In the Heights
    The Little Mermaid
    Young Frankenstein or Cry Baby

I don't think Cry Baby has even opened on Broadway yet, has it? I thought it was still in preview phase in La Jolla.

Anyways, I agree with the posters who said that yes just because Disney put it out there, doesn't automatically make it award-worthy (*cough*Home on the Range*cough*Tarzan*cough*). I prefer shows with more controversial material, or more original storylines. Granted, I do love me some Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, but the original doesn't have quite as many die hard fans to please. Taking a VERY popular movie musical and transferring it to the stage, however is a much bigger feat.

I haven't seen Mermaid in person, so I can't really judge. But aside from Sierra Boggess and Sherie Rene's voices, I haven't really seen much reason to. The costumes and set just don't seem to do it justice, of course this is an opinion from someone who hasn't actually seen it. Though, for these same reasons, I don't see any reason to go out and catch it, either.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TsWade2 View Post
    I know it's to early to predict the Tony Nomination, but here's my prediction:

Best Musical:
    A Catered Affair
    In the Heights
    The Little Mermaid
    Young Frankenstein or Cry Baby
    If you're going to go based on critics' reviews, I doubt Mermaid or Frankenstein will be there. Based on the soundtrack alone, I believe Frankesntein definitely does not deserve to be nominated. There are waaaay too many similarities to The Producers for my taste.

• Banned User

If you're going to go based on critics' reviews, I doubt Mermaid or Frankenstein will be there. Based on the soundtrack alone, I believe Frankesntein definitely does not deserve to be nominated. There are waaaay too many similarities to The Producers for my taste.
    That's fine. But if Young Frankenstein didn't get nominated, than Xanadu will. I think Cry Baby is going to be a flop.
    Last edited by TsWade2; 03-28-2008 at 10:14 PM.

• would love some pie

Are you joking? Did you actually see Spring Awakening? Havig seen it myself with most of the original cast, I can say that it definitely deserved Best Musical. It was absolutely astounding! Every aspect of the show blew me away. I'm not suprised at all that it beat out Mary Poppins, which is all technical flash and no substance. Don't judge a show before you have seen it.

• Banned User

Okay. I just want to apologize for judging Passing Strange. I've been listening two songs Amsterdam and Keys and they were very nice. It's still not going to be my cup of tea and probably won't win a Tony for Best Musical. Now I know it won for Drama Critics Award, well that's for the critics. I think In the Heights will win because last year it won Outer Critics Award for Best Off Broadway Musical and I think this musical I'm rooting for will be perfect. I'm surprise that Cry Baby got nominated for Best Musical. But I won't be surprise if it didn't recieve awards for any catergory. So, I starting to feel Passing Strange is okay. It may not win, but as long they use these songs that I just heard, it'll will be fine.

• Senior Minion

I agree but I must admit that it has grown on me after my initial dismissal of it.

Mermaid has been drubbed by all but the most die-hard (read; obsessive) Disney fan - it wasn't just the critics. It is lucky to get the two nominations it has.

As for Mary Poppins not winning last year? It did not deserve to win - I thought it was one of the worst musicals I have seen in a long time.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Okay. That's enough. Passing Strange won't win anyway. In the Heights might win for Best Musical because it's popular. I must to admit that In the Heights way better than Spring Awakening. So someone please close this thread so no one won't make fun of me.

If you let it drift to the bottom (aka don't respond to it), no one will notice the thread ever existed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    If you let it drift to the bottom (aka don't respond to it), no one will notice the thread ever existed.
    I know. I'm sorry. Maybe I should of known it may not win a Tony for Best Musical anyway.