Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Book Ideas for a Young Boy

Hey, Everyone:

A family who is good friends of ours has a nine-year-old boy who just loves to read.

His parents, however, aren't really book people, and so I've been trying to think of some good books to keep him supplied with (trying to stick to the classics).

I gave him a copy of Robinson Crusoe for his birthday, and he loved it. I was thinking of giving him The Call of the Wild, or The Last of the Mohicans next, but am not sure.

Does anyone else have some good, old-time classic books they'd like to recommend for that age group?

Thanks!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Book Ideas for a Young Boy

Treasure Island is a good one. Or get him started on The Hardy Boys series.
    A signature should go here.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

My almost 9 year old son received a copy of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory in his Easter basket. He was so excited about it! He is asking for The Spiderwick Chronicles for his birthday. He loves Goosebumps too. I have my copy of The Little Prince for him, which is something we read together when he was younger.

You could get him a set of The Hardy Boys series, or just a few to start him out.

Have fun shopping!
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Treasure Island, The Jungle Book, your pick from the Jules Verne books. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, White Fang just a few ideas off the top of my head.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Winter in Oceanside...

You are talking the age group that I taught for 10 years. Off the top of my head, these are the books my boys enjoyed:

Hatchet (if he liked Robinson Crusoe, he'll love Hatchet)
    Series of Unfortunate Events
    Bunnicula (and the rest in that series)
    Maniac McGee and the other books by Jerry Spinelli
    Frindle
    The Hank Zipzer books by Henry Winkler
    Mouse and the Motorcycle
    How to Eat Fried Worms
    Chocolate Fever

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
    Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
    Redwall series by Brian Jacques
    Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll
    The Glory of Their Times: The Story of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It by Lawrence S. Ritter
    Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck

Almost anything Jules Verne or H. G. Wells.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

The Indian in the Cupboard! Good call!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Yes, I forgot about Indian in the Cupboard. They loved that one!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
    Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
    Redwall series by Brian Jacques
    Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll
    The Glory of Their Times: The Story of Baseball Told By the Men Who Played It by Lawrence S. Ritter
    Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck

Almost anything Jules Verne or H. G. Wells.
    I totally forgot about Indian in the Cupboard, I loved that book and series.
    Where the Red Fern Grows is a great book, but may be too Old Yeller like if he's close to a pet dog.
    The two Alice books are great as well. I don't know why, but H.G. Wells slipped my mind when I mentioned Jules Verne earlier, good choices there as well.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• For You!

I've been in charge of my son's elementary school book fair for the last year - the big popular boy items have been

Swindle - Gordon Korman
    any book by Jerry Spinelli (Eggs, etc)
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Rodrick Rules
    The Spiderwick Chronicles
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    Beast Quest Series - Adam Blade
    The Sisters Grimm Series
    Rick Riordan has a series of books out and I can't remember the name, but it's kind of a fantasy series that's pretty cool - the 3rd book is Titan's Curse.
    No Talking - Andrew Clements (or any of his books)
    Alex Rider Series - Anthony Horowitz (think jr. james bond)

Hope that helps a little. They are "classics" per say, but it's what the boys at my school really like.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

The Rick Riordan books are called Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Think Harry Potter based in Greek Mythology instead. I have read the first three and really enjoy them. My 9 year old daughter really enjoys the Sisters Grimm series to the point that she is looking to start a book club at her school to introduce them to others.

I also like Cornelia Funke - Dragon Rider is one of her better ones. Inkheart is good too.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how youd meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later youd be playing like you were best friends?"

I could not get my son to read it when he was younger but my all time favorite book when I was that age was...

Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

The Phantom Tollbooth, another great one!

• Minion

SUN SWORD 1: QUEST FOR THE SUN GEM

by Belinda Murrell Magical and exciting, full of wonderful creatures, mysterious codes and puzzles, and with four courageous young heroes and heroines, this series will delight all 8 to 12 year olds.Description of book

After their village is attacked, a young brother and sister set off on a dangerous quest to save their captured family and friends - and free their land from the Sedah invaders. Where are Ethan and Lily's parents being held? And where have the Sun Sword and its magical gems been hidden?
    Joined by their friend Saxon and the determined Princess Roana, Ethan and Lily must solve puzzles and riddles, escape legendary sea monsters and outwit bandits along the way. But the greatest threat to the children is the sinister Sedah tracker, Sniffer, who is close on their trail.
    Can the four friends find the Sun Gem - before the Sedah can find them?Reviews

'This book was a cross between Lord of the Rings and Deltora Quest and Ranger's Apprentice... Jam packed with action and thrills, this book is great!!' - Amara Chellappah, age 11, Random House Book Buddies Club
    'Absolutely brilliant! It was one of the best books I've read. I would definitely recommend it to others, it's really, really, really FANTASTIC!!!' Melissa Rigby, age 10, Random House Book Buddies Club
    'This story was extremely good. I couldn't put the book down. I liked the part when Lily and Ethan tried to find the prisoners that had been captured by Captain Foulash and his men.' - Natasha Reibel, age 9

http://www.amazon.com/Thirteen-Unpre...6577586&sr=1-1

thirteen unpredictable tales by paul jennings (or any paul jennings books!!)
    From School Library Journal
    This entertaining compilation collects 13 of Paul Jennings' imaginative, twisty tales, packed with Australian slang. He effectively captures the pain of adolescent angst, but then adds a surrealistic layer that makes each story intriguing. Many of the yarns revolve around outsiders trying to outwit bullies. Cosmic forces come to their aid, but with mixed results. In the gross yet darkly funny "Spaghetti Pig-Out," the hero hopes to befriend a merciless thug by showing him an unearthly remote control device that makes people and animals rewind, fast forward, and pause. Things do not go as planned, and the results are both hilarious and disgusting. In the delightful "Wunderpants," Jennings tells of a pair of "fairy pants" that transforms a weakling into a racing machine who can out-race the local villain. In "There's No Such Thing," the bully is a nasty nurse who heckles a boy and his hospitalized grandfather. This story offers the collection's most satisfying surprise ending and a wonderfully creepy scene inside a dragon's lair. Other tales show the awkwardness of kids experiencing infatuation: a boy finds himself frozen to a beautiful ice statue after kissing "The Ice Maiden"; a lad freaks when he sees his clone kissing his girl in "The Copy"; and a young man punishes himself (in a very bizarre way) for the death of his beloved's bird in "Only Gilt." The best stories in the collection show what a gifted storyteller Jennings is. His use of a narrator speaking in the second person adds urgency to the mind-reading fantasy "Thoughtful." Jennings creates a vivid seaside atmosphere in the surprisingly haunting "Nails." "Clear as Mud" is a clever (and at times gross) look at the effects of a beetle bite on a boy's body. Even the more slight stories ("Pink Bow Tie," "Exposers," "The Strap Box Flyer") move fast and crackle with a sense of fun. Narrator Steven Pacey does an excellent job conveying the tone, humor, and weirdness of each story

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

How about the Narnia books?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast