Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Music - Is it about the Lyrics or the Music?

For me, Music has ALWAYS been about "The Music". The lyrics are always secondary to me. If it's not a beat or rhythm that I like, I don't care if the lyrics are good. There are exceptions I'm sure (artists like Elton John come to mind), but not many.

Plus, you can't play air guitar or air drums to an a cappella song. Eventually after listening to a song with good "Music" for awhile, I'll pick up no the lyrics though.

I think that's why I don't care for alot of "Pop" songs, they tend to be more about the lyrics or the look of the artist than the music.

So what a bout you, when you listen to the song, do you listen to the lyrics or the music mostly?

• For You!

Re: Music - Is it about the Lyrics or the Music?

I found that when I was younger, it was about lyrics. I always tried to relate them to my life, or love, or whatever.

But now, I listen to lyrics and wonder what the heck I was thinking - they usually made no sense at all (listen to most police and men at work songs).

Now, if the beat is good, the melody is interesting and the lyrics flow well with the song, I enjoy it. I've also found myself listening to more instrumental music, soundtrack stuff and of course, disney area music.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

For me, its both. But there are songs that I love the music to, and think the lyrics are the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's peanut butter and Jelly. Both are important alone but they truly need each to make magic.

• Seasick

Both can be important. However, good music can overcome bad lyrics. I won't listen to a bad song that happens to have good lyrics.

My favorite music is absolutely that which combines good music and lyrics I enjoy or relate to.

Once I've listened to a song multiple times, it's most likely that I'm "done" listening for the lyrics and just enjoy the music.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm going to have to say the Music if I had to choose one. I'll listen to an instrumental.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    For me, its both. But there are songs that I love the music to, and think the lyrics are the most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard.
    Same here. There's some I just want to listen to the music too, to dance whatever and the lyrics are secondary and sometimes just freaking lame.
    Other times, I want to listen to something that's going to speak to me, something that's going to relate to what I'm going to or what I'm feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    It's peanut butter and Jelly. Both are important alone but they truly need each to make magic.
    I love this

I guess if I absolutely had to pick one, I'd say lyrics because while I love music, I've never had music touch me like some lyrics have.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dsnylndmom View Post
    Same here. There's some I just want to listen to the music too, to dance whatever and the lyrics are secondary and sometimes just freaking lame.
    Seriously, is "Hot Dog" really a great song? Not so much, but its freaking ridiculously hilarious and I LOVE listening to it. If it brings out any kind of good emotion in me, I like it no matter how dumb it is.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    Seriously, is "Hot Dog" really a great song? Not so much, but its freaking ridiculously hilarious and I LOVE listening to it. If it brings out any kind of good emotion in me, I like it no matter how dumb it is.

Exactly! There are those songs that you just need to sing/yell whatever. The beat rocks and the lyrics, yeah not so deep Helllooo She Hates Me!

Dude, are you totally remembering you, me and Julia on Memorial Day last year now?

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Yes. Could we be any dorkier? I think not, but we had a GREAT time rocking out, and thats what its all about.

*clap clap*

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Music expresses that which cannot be said by words alone. Even poetry has its limitations as compared to what can be expressed musically.

Take the transition between the 3rd and 4th movements of Beethoven's 5th symphony which was written during the time that Beethoven realized he was losing his hearing. The famous four note motif repeats itself rhytmically throughout the entire symphony. Musicologists who study this say that it symbolizes the fate of his worsening deafness upon him. The 4th movement and the transition to it in my opinion creates a feeling of triumph over this disability and is expressed beautifully without any words at all. It would take a lot more effort lyrically to create the same effect that was done using music alone.

• Banned User

First it's the music, then lyrics come second. But I take the time to know what the lyrics are and what they mean.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Usually when I hear a song for the first time, it's about the music. Then when I keep listening to it, I focus on the lyrics.

• Man O Lantern

Mostly lyrics. I'm a singer/songwriter fan. And I like things to be a little different. The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands...and they use words like "dirigible."

I'm not a big rock fan and long guitar solos are a huge turnoff to me.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

WHile I still think it's the music, I keeping going back to the great songwriters and realizing it's the lyrics that bring out the emotion more. Cat's in the Cradle - American Pie -Piano Man - Time in a bottle are all songs that have simple music but the lyrics are what make them timeless.

Great question! I'm sure after reading more posts my mind will change another 5-10 times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast