• Banned User

Best Musical Winner Prediction

Hi, I have a prediction for the winner for Best Musical in the Tony Awards.
    I think it's going to be either In the Heights or Xanadu.
    Last edited by TsWade2; 05-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.

• Ravenclaw

Re: Best Musical Winner Prediction

I think it will be Passing Strange.

--nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post

--nick--
    Oh no! Forget it! Spring Awakening ruined it last year and it won't happen again.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post

--nick--
    A lot of people predict In the Heights might win.

• Ravenclaw

I just disagree. I've heard the OBCR's of both Passing Strange and In The Heights, and I have to say-

In The Heights: I've heard it before. This is nothing new or groundbreaking for Broadway. Sounds like The Life or pieces of Steel Pier and Brooklyn.

Passing Strange: Truly, I don't think anyone can say that this type of show has been on Broadway. Listen to the music. It's brutal, raw, powerful.

--nick--
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• would love some pie

Quote Originally Posted by TsWade2 View Post
    Oh no! Forget it! Spring Awakening ruined it last year and it won't happen again.
    Have you seen Spring Awakening? Why do you hate it so much?

As for this year's tony's, I'm not really sure. I'm leaning towards Passing Strange (esp. if we look at critical opinion), but we'll see.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DATman View Post
    Have you seen Spring Awakening? Why do you hate it so much?

As for this year's tony's, I'm not really sure. I'm leaning towards Passing Strange (esp. if we look at critical opinion), but we'll see.
    I didn't see it and I did saw clips of it and saw it last year of the Tony Awards. It looked very disgusting and it's really horrible to me. But, just to assure you had nothing against rock 'n' roll musicals. They're fine, it just depends if I like it or not. My parents saw the performance of Spring Awakening at the Tony Awards, and they were horrified. My mom even said to her friend, there's something wrong with Broadway.

Anyway, I still think In the Heights will win. Because it was a box office hit and it already recieve awards last year during their off-broadway run. And I think I should apologize about Passing Strange. i just want this year Tony Awards to be better than last year after the disappointment of Disney being beaten by a musical that deals with sex. And I know Passing Strange is dealing with sex, but I must ask you, did Passing Strange say seriously bad words like Spring Awakening? And are they taking over Broadway forever and never let any new musicals that are not rock'n'roll to win?

• would love some pie

^Just because a musical discusses sexual themes does not make it disgusting. Spring Awakening dealt with teenagers growing up. I'll be damned if what Hanschen does during My Junk isn't what every other teenage boy has done at that age. The fact that there were two boys kissing isn't disgusting either. in fact, the musical didn't even focus on the act of sex itself, sure it was built into a song, but it was about them discovering who they are and breaking through the stupid boundaries set forth by their parents. It also focused on the consequences of bad decisions. To me, it was an extremely touching show that truly spoke volumes about the idea of "for the sake of the children".

Bad words? Did you see RENT?

Besides, having only seen the Tony performance, you really have no idea how good the show is. I've never found a Tony performance to live up to the actual show.

• Banned User

^Just because a musical discusses sexual themes does not make it disgusting. Spring Awakening dealt with teenagers growing up. I'll be damned if what Hanschen does during My Junk isn't what every other teenage boy has done at that age. The fact that there were two boys kissing isn't disgusting either. in fact, the musical didn't even focus on the act of sex itself, sure it was built into a song, but it was about them discovering who they are and breaking through the stupid boundaries set forth by their parents. It also focused on the consequences of bad decisions. To me, it was an extremely touching show that truly spoke volumes about the idea of "for the sake of the children".

Bad words? Did you see RENT?

Besides, having only seen the Tony performance, you really have no idea how good the show is. I've never found a Tony performance to live up to the actual show.
    Well, I kind of like Rent. But I haven't seen the show, but I do have the movie of it. And I think some of the songs were very inspiring. Now understand for Spring Awakening. SA and PS is still not be my cup of tea. And I never been to Broadway before.

• would love some pie

^RENT is very much like Spring Awakening in that it deals heavily with sex and language. What you missed in the movie was the giant orgasm the main cast has under a sheet (was, in my opinion, not graphic nor offensive). If you liked RENT, I can almost promise that you would enjoy seeing Spring Awakening. The music is astounding, the set is very RENT-esque (but still extremely unique), and it was all-around amazing.

In the end, all I'm trying to say is don't judge a show by its soundtrack (have you listened to it? I agree that it can be a little shocking if you are younger) or its subject matter.

• Banned User

^RENT is very much like Spring Awakening in that it deals heavily with sex and language. What you missed in the movie was the giant orgasm the main cast has under a sheet (was, in my opinion, not graphic nor offensive). If you liked RENT, I can almost promise that you would enjoy seeing Spring Awakening. The music is astounding, the set is very RENT-esque (but still extremely unique), and it was all-around amazing.

In the end, all I'm trying to say is don't judge a show by its soundtrack (have you listened to it? I agree that it can be a little shocking if you are younger) or its subject matter.
    I'll try. But, there's one teensy weensy problem. My parents! I don't think they want me to see Spring Awakening. But you know what? Maybe I'll just say it's not my cup of tea. Of course, I'm got to admit with Duncan Sheik, I very glad he's into a Broadway spirit. In fact, he is composing a new musical that maybe I might find it better. It's called Whisper House. Here's the information:http://www.playbill.com/news/article/117097.html
    Last edited by TsWade2; 06-14-2008 at 10:20 AM.

• is NOT Lea Salonga

Why the Spring Awakening hate? ;_;
    I'm used to hearing constant cursing in musicals. Miss Saigon's got a few, and Jersey Boys has authentic Jersey language. Can't force you to like it, your opinion is your opinion. I got a few friends who hate the show because of it's raunchy nature. I like it because it touches on relevant themes about being young and growing up conservative. It's not so much the sex and the cursing, but looking past all that, it's still a good show.

In the beginning, I felt "meh" about Rent. Well, I was in middle school - didn't understand the gay thing and the AIDS thing all too well. It was not until I was living in San Francisco I really got into it. I saw the movie first, but I have a preference to the stage version because you can feel the raw energy of the ensemble.

Pssh, I really wanted Wicked to win the Tony the year it was up for one, but fornicating puppets took it. Yet, in hindsight, Wicked is the top show on Broadway. ^^

My money is on In the Heights.
    Last edited by Scarlet Rhapsody; 06-11-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Escapade
    Disneyland Resort trip reports

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Rhapsody View Post
    Why the Spring Awakening hate? ;_;
    I'm used to hearing constant cursing in musicals. Miss Saigon's got a few, and Jersey Boys has authentic Jersey language. Can't force you to like it, your opinion is your opinion. I got a few friends who hate the show because of it's raunchy nature. I like it because it touches on relevant themes about being young and growing up conservative. It's not so much the sex and the cursing, but looking past all that, it's still a good show.

In the beginning, I felt "meh" about Rent. Well, I was in middle school - didn't understand the gay thing and the AIDS thing all too well. It was not until I was living in San Francisco I really got into it. I saw the movie first, but I have a preference to the stage version because you can feel the raw energy of the ensemble.

Pssh, I really wanted Wicked to win the Tony the year it was up for one, but fornicating puppets took it. Yet, in hindsight, Wicked is the top show on Broadway. ^^

My money is on In the Heights.
    Thank you. Finally, someone understand my prediction. By the way, I did see Miss Saigon at my neighborhood theater and it really blow me away. And I kind of feel bad because I didn't get a chance to see Les Miserables. Hope I'll see it someday.
    Last edited by TsWade2; 06-14-2008 at 10:25 AM.

• Banned User

For those of you who think that In the Heights might not win, but it did? Let me just say...told you so! In the Heights win for Best Musical. Also for Best Choreography, Orchestrations, and Score.

So, like I said. Told you so!