Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• www.JonAutopsy.com

Exclamation Why American Idol is killing music...

DISCLAIMER: Please take this with a grain of salt. This is my own personal opinion. If American Idol is your favorite show, please dont hunt me down and rip out my voicebox.

<3 J.A.

Now, on with the post...

American Idol, I thought, was originally a good idea. Make getting a record contract a competition based on who has the most talent out of anyone else. That way, you get the best of the best and, best of all, it's voted on by the public.

But then the show went on, the people who judged got bigger and more egotistical, Ryan Seacrest got... Seacrest-er. Anyways, American Idol turned out to be humongous. And a hit was born.

However, with American Idol becoming more popular, the strength of popular music has taken a nose dive. Take, for instance, a young child who loves to sing, watching Simon degrade a contestant because they were a bit off on a song they sang.

Or how about a person getting told they wouldn't be going to Hollywood because they just couldnt quite pull off a certain type of song, even though, who knows if that person might have been sick that day or something.

Name your American Idol cliche...

Along with all of this, American Idol has shown the world that music outside of the pop, rock, R & B style is "not wanted". If a person were to go in there and try to do something with a heavier tone, they'd probably be laughed right off the set. Still, in the music industry, bands like Tool and Deftones have become some of the most influential bands for musicians who are looking for something a little bit different and have shown the general public that experimenting in music can payoff in a huge way.

However, being different is frowned upon in the eyes of American Idol. If you aren't marginally attractive, have an absolutely perfect singing voice, and an absolutely perfect track record in life as some A.I. contestants have had their run-ins in their past, then you shouldn't even try. IF you do, you're just going to get degraded on national television.

This is all breeding a race of musicians who are brainwashed to think that it's this kind of music and nothing else. And if they cant pull that off in a way where people walking down the street will stop to listen, then why even try?
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"
    1st Place - MiceChat Gumball Rally 2012

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Why American Idol is killing music...

Music was being ruined LONG before American Idol came along.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

True. Talent has been traded in for marketability. A.I., still, does not help this at all, either.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Good music rises to the top. Kelly Clarkson & Carrie Underwood thrive while Ruben Studdard wallows in obscurity.

I like Simon bring tough on the contestants. This is what young people are going to have to deal with when they realize singing isn't a sure fire way to make a living. Paula Abdul doesn't help these people by telling them they are a "free spirit" while singing like a cat in a blender.

One thing I do like, most of them are selecting classic music to sing. They better learn now the real cash is in songwriting rather than just being a puppet with a good voice.

• Minion

I think American Idol is a great outlet for "singers up for hire."

It's probably written in their contract that they have no artistic input or control over the 'product' and thus the only thing they have to worry about besides their voice is how they appear in public. And I think that sort of business is bad for the creative industry. As some one mentioned individuality and talent is traded for marketability.

I think the premise of the show is great, it filters out those that are deeply committed to the craft from those that aren't yet sure what they want; all while the public supposedly votes for who they want.

• Shablagoo!

I think it is also killing TV. It's not the kind of show I watch, but to each their own.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Personally, I think the recording industry is in the downfall for a variety of reasons. The most significant being that there is not all that many good songs being produced and all the hits that do come out, only stay hits for a few weeks. I mean, It's not like todays current hit songs will be hits still fifty plus years down the line unfortuantly.

I also use to enjoy Idol. But now it lost it's purpose. What's the whole point of the competition if many of the runner-up's will now get their own recording contracts? I mean, I'm not hating on them or anything, but the purpose of the show was just for the winner to be plucked from obscurity to get a contract.

I have my beefs with Idol, but here's the thing. Out of all the Idol winners, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood are the only two who definatly deserve all the awards and fame they earned. They have produced some really good songs. Then there is Chris Daughtry. I believe he should have won the contest, not Taylor Hicks. Daughtry is doing very well right now too. Chris Daughtry was screwed out of that contest because of the nuts who vote for losers. It should have been chicken little who was voted off then.

My point also being that Idol has produced a few gems and I think the show and it's producers deserve credit for that. But then again, they have not had a good record when it comes to choosing winners. Let's see how far David Cook will go.

But we all know the producers love Idol primarily because of the flawed voting system. That is a big joke in itself.

Last season was a complete joke because it focused more on the celebrities than the contestants. It became nausiating and really burned me out.

I somewhat like Idol too because it lets us see the contestants put their own spin on popular songs. I still LOVE Chris Daughtry's performance of Johnny Cash's "Walk the Line" and since then I have been a fan of the song and got more into Mr. Cash's music. I also loved Gina Glockson's performance of the Charlie Chaplin song, "Smile." I never heard the song before she performed it on American Idol and I absolutly love it now. These contestants can either butcher the song, or take a risk by performing their own version of it and introducing the songs to newer audiences.

I'm very back and fourth about Idol. I see it's pro's and con's. I listed only a few pro's and con's I have observed while being a fan of the show.

I hope I wasn't rambling

I agree that music had started to really collapse well before American Idol but I do agree that it has recently hurt rock music. Guys like Chris Daughtry and David Cook are singers for hire not rock stars. How do you think Simon Cowell would react to Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain or David Lee Roth. Rock isn't all about talent.

Check out real rock groups that are in obscurity like the People's Party in LA. They play real and inspired rock/funk music that you wouldn't hear on American Idol.

• Triple Goddess

I personally like American Idol, even though I feel the shows are stretched out waaaay too long. My husband, however, hates it. He says the problem with the show is that "America" votes for whoever is most popular, not who has the most talent. I think that with anything, whoever you like is subjective and not necessarily indicative of talent. My husband is a drummer and a HUGE fan of music. He has had a problem with the music industry for a long time, but he really feels that AI has ruined music. We argue about it every season.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

It's not necessarily the music industry itself but more the major labels who are dictating what is "popular".

I know first hand what it's like to land in something where someone from a label or a management wants you to sound a certain way or they wont bring you in or work with you. It's sad because there are so many good musicians and groups out there who have a lot of talent and it's squandered for a small piece of the pie.

Ever notice when a band puts out a fantastic first album, everyone loves it, then they follow it up with a piece of dogflop? That's because major record labels are trying to get them to be liked by everyone which is something that hasn't been realized as an impossibilty. Like when Linkin Park first came out and how huge they were; people loved them. I, however, have never liked Linkin Park. But then it goes again with a band I like that might be mainstream. Take Peter Gabriel for instance. I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan but my dad is not. However, Peter Gabriel might do something that my dad may like but I may despise. There is no such thing as music that "everyone" likes.

It's too bad that this is the fact but major labels are tearing down music because a dozen middle-aged men in business suits riding stretch limos to work and discussing who's business cards are the best are the ones who say what's good and what's not. Just go back to my first point:

Talent has been traded in for marketability.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Triple Goddess

Another point my husband would make is that "popular" music has been geared towards a younger audience. There's a cookie cutter image and sound that each new artist is made to fit into. I realize, of course, that a HUGE number of 13 year olds are buying records, but what about the ART of music? Where does that fit in?

I'm not trying to put down 13 year olds. I'm just saying that we are not all 13 year olds.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Autopsy View Post
    Talent has been traded in for marketability.
    This goes all the way back to the Beatles, yes THOSE Beatles.

When they first came to the states they weren't "The Beatles" as we know and respect them today. They were a teenie-bopper band. They obviously had the talent to back up their marketability, but even their 2nd album contained covers of Motown and R&B hits.

They made 3 movies (Help, A Hard Days Night, Magical Mystery Tour and the animated Yellow Submarine) and even had a cartoon series. While they didn't do the voices for Yellow Submarine or the cartoon series, they did have a part of it.

Now I'm not saying ANYBODY on A.I. is going to be the next Beatles, but the whole thing of marketability is nothing new.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

It has increased by an incredible amount since then, though.
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Autopsy View Post
    It has increased by an incredible amount since then, though.
    I don't disagree, but it's always been around.

• www.JonAutopsy.com

So have pirates but they only recently became a big thing
    "NATURAL BORN KILLERS"

JON AUTOPSY - FACEBOOK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast