Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Pirate - G'har!

Re: Colour-Blind Casting

But what about, say, Les Miserables, a wholly fictional story based on a backdrop of historical fact. Or The Phantom of the Opera, set at a specific time in Paris yet a gothic fantasy story (of course they don't cast all French people in either of those now do they). In the world of business the answer is simple: hire the best man, yet in theatre it becomes something else entirely. I think we're all agreed that if ethnicity plays a part in the plot, ie. Miss Saigon, Hairpsray, then obviously casting should be according to character, but what about Evita then? It's clearly a western musical and a rock opera, but ethnicity isn't part of the story as everyone is Argentinian, so is that ok? It's always gonna be a tricky subject. Take, say, B&tB, if the original character is a white girl with brown hair, should the on-stage version be the same to be faithful to the original or is it irrelevent? So many questions that will never have an answer and will rage on forever.

• Minion

I may have misuderstood the posting about Ernie Hudson in Ghostbusters, it seemed like the poster was saying that was a token black character, and if that was what was meant, I'm a tad taken aback. In that situation, blue colar workers in New York City, it seemed a perfect fit.

As to the larger question, I think of the story is adjusted to account for the racial differences, then it can totally work. Contemporary stories are so much easier because the world is changing rapidly and it seems a fair amount of color blind casting could happen, but generally doesn't.

• Senior Minion

My point about Ernie Hudson in Ghostbusters was indeed about him being a 'token black character'. Watch the film! He appears half-way through and has very little to do or say. His introduction into the script is almost like someone suddenly realised that there were no black characters there. I do not say that there was no room for a black character in the movie - but why couldn't Bill Murray or Dan Akroyd's character be black? Why did the black guy have to be the least important member of the gang?
    Anyway, that is a little off topic. As far as the poster who suggested that Phantom and Les Miz should be cast with French people - I don't agree. Even Evita can get away with a caucasion cast. But obvious ethnic differences do pose a problem - a black Phantom in POTO would probably bug me because although I could allow my imagination to follow the story, I would always then be thinking "but he wouldn't have been black - not in Paris in those days". It is indeed a strange thing.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Okay can I just say that version of Cinderella made me so peeved as a teenager? I actually got in trouble with my mom because of that movie. I was watching thinking the same thing as Krystle "Why is the dad white, the mom black with dreadlocks, and they have an asian son?" And I got into trouble for saying the next logical thing for a 16 year old (and I'm cleaning it up...) "who was she sleeping with?". Problem with color blind casting is you're gonna' have kids asking "wait if they're related why aren't they the same...?" or you're gonna' get kids like me who had to eat soap after their reaction. And the producers of the show better realize that's coming.
    And it's happening all over again...

http://micechat.com/forums/theatre/1...a-salonga.html
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123