• Banned User

Is Mel Brooks Outraged for Young Frankenstein Musical?

Hi everybody,

Now I'm not trying to be obsessed, but I am curious about Mel Brooks failed musical Young Frankenstein. He was a success on The Producers. But his musical version of Young Frankenstein did not quite work out that they it would. It recieves mediocre reviews. And during the interview with Mel Brooks in the news, he looks very angry. And I don't know how he feels about his musical didn't get nominated this year. So, my question is, is he outraged from the critics and the Tony Community? A lot of people say he was very arrogant because he's raising the money for the theatre where the frankenstein musical is playing. Now, to assure I'm not obsess, but if he really is having a hard time for himself, I felt sorry for him. What do you think?

• I'm Flying High

Re: Is Mel Brooks Outraged for Young Frankenstein Musical?

Hmm..well I think it depends. Just because it doesn't get Tony nominations doesn't mean it won't get other awards. And I've heard some very positive things about the show. But if it turns out not to last, I feel bad for him. He was lucky with The Producers though!
    The daydream princess

• Banned User

I think he'll turn Blazing Saddles into a musical next, followed by Silent Movie, High Anxiety, History of the World: Part 1, Spaceballs, and then finally Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

I think he will cry and be enraged all the way to the bank.

• Senior Minion

Have you heard the score? It's almost like he took the music from The Producers and wrote new lyrics.

I actually quite like it (having only heard the CD) but the similarities between its score and that of The Producers, plus the fact that The Producers lends itself far better to a stage adaptation, means that Young Frank was always going to be an up-hill struggle.

Brooks has hardly shown himself to be consistant over his career where he started high, peaked early and then plummeted quickly. He should have contented himself in the success of The Producers and gone out on a high. His Broadway career is following the same lines as his movie career - not good.

Feeling anger at a failure of one of your 'babies' is understandable. Showing that anger on national television is inappropriate and shows signs of arrogance.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Also remember the theater Young Frankenstein is in a larger than the St James theater, so while tickets might be selling well, there are a lot more to sell to sell out, almost 300 per show!

Seating capacity St James: 1530
    Seating for Hilton: 1829
    (Both taken from ibdb.com)
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Have you heard the score? It's almost like he took the music from The Producers and wrote new lyrics.
    That was my initial thought after first listening to the soundtrack. There was just way too much that reminded me of The Producers. None of the songs really grabbed my attention and I have yet to listen to the soundtrack again.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kirbilicious View Post
    That was my initial thought after first listening to the soundtrack. There was just way too much that reminded me of The Producers. None of the songs really grabbed my attention and I have yet to listen to the soundtrack again.
    I felt that way too but then I did give it another chance and it grew on me. It is still Producers-lite but it has its moments and some of the songs are very funny (Please Don't Touch Me in particular). The excellent performances help too.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is NOT Lea Salonga

Saw it in New York during previews.

I liked it, but I didn't think it was rolling-in-the-aisles-funny as The Producers. The Producers remains in my top ten favorite stage musicals of all time. Frankly, a good majority why I loved YF is the stellar all star cast. I loved Megan as the fiancee. "TITS!"

It's still worth a look if you're a musical nerd like me, but if you're expecting something like The Producers, it's a let down.

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...04648Small.jpg

Escapade
    Disneyland Resort trip reports

• Sea Creature

I saw it on Thursday, loved it. It was sold out also if that's any indication of "failure." The sets are unreal, I've never seen anything like it. Great dancers too.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I saw it and enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite show of all times or anything, and I would rank The Producers over YF, but I would hardly call it a failure.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Senior Minion

Is it true that the seats are priced up to $450? I heard that the show's producers went in with that price and this may have been the main cause of it's relative failure.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011