• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

160GB PS3 coming

http://kotaku.com/5039485/uncharted-...-north-america

No mention of BC though.

Sony Computer Entertainment America Announces Limited-Edition Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(TM) PLAYSTATION(R)3 Bundle Featuring New 160GB PS3(TM) System
    FOSTER CITY, Calif., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire/ — Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced plans to introduce a new 160GB PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system in North America as part of the limited-edition Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(TM) PS3 system bundle. The increased storage size enables entertainment enthusiasts to store even more movies, television shows, and games downloaded from PLAYSTATION(R)Network, as well as more videos, music, and photos from their personal collection. Slated to launch in November for $499.99 (MSRP), the 160GB PS3 system will come bundled with the hit game, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune(TM), a PLAYSTATION Network voucher for PAIN, and a DUALSHOCK(R)3 wireless controller. The previously announced 80GB PS3 system ($399.99 MSRP) has started shipping to retailers.

"As PLAYSTATION Network continues to evolve with our recently launched video delivery service and more exclusive games, PS3 owners are demanding more storage capacity," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "Consumers also are utilizing PS3 as an entertainment hub for their digital media, placing content such as their entire music collection on the hard drive. The 160GB PS3 system addresses this growing consumer demand in a compelling bundle that delivers significant value."

The Uncharted: Drake's Fortune PS3 bundle includes the following components:
    — 160GB PS3 system — The 160GB PS3 is a complete entertainment system comprising a Blu-ray(TM) Disc player, HDMI output, an integrated Wi-Fi connection, and Cell Broadband Engine(TM).
    — Uncharted: Drake's Fortune — A 400-year-old clue found in the coffin of Sir Francis Drake sets a modern-day fortune hunter, Nathan Drake, on an exploration for the fabled treasure of El Dorado, leading to the discovery of a forgotten island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The search turns deadly when Drake becomes stranded on the island and hunted by mercenaries. Outnumbered and outgunned, Drake and his companions must fight to survive as they begin to unravel the terrible secrets hidden on the Island.

— PAIN PLAYSTATION Network Voucher* — PAIN boldly tackles a rarely explored area of video-gaming ... comedy. The unique mechanic of the game allows the player to load a character into a human-sized, ultra-powerful slingshot, and fire the character into an active, physics-controlled environment, filled with precarious and humorous situations. Download PAIN from PLAYSTATION Store (http://store.playstation.com) to your PS3 system with the included voucher.
    — DUALSHOCK 3 Wireless Controller — DUALSHOCK 3 wireless controller provides the most intuitive game play experience with pressure sensors in each action button and the inclusion of the highly sensitive SIXAXIS(TM) motion sensing technology.

The additional storage space of the 160GB model will benefit consumers, as several highly anticipated PLAYSTATION Network and PS3 games along with add-on content will be available for download soon, including PAIN Amusement Park, Ratchet & Clank(R)Future: Quest for Booty(TM), SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, and The Last Guy(TM). The bundle is also a great option for consumers who want to utilize PLAYSTATION Network's video delivery service, which offers new blockbuster movies and popular TV shows for download on an ongoing basis.
    PS3 momentum has soared in 2008, starting with Blu-ray becoming the
    high-definition standard and following the launches of key franchise titles, including Gran Turismo(TM) 5 Prologue, Grand Theft Auto(TM) IV, and Metal Gear Solid(R)4: Guns of the Patriots. That momentum will continue into the holidays and beyond, as PS3's software lineup will offer the most depth and breadth of any platform across the industry, delivering highly anticipated exclusives such as BUZZ!(TM): Quiz TV, LittleBigPlanet(TM), Resistance(TM) 2, MotorStorm(TM) Pacific Rift, and Killzone(TM) 2.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: 160GB PS3 coming

yup.. the transformation is complete

We update the 40gig model to 80gig.. to make it LOOK like the same model and 'drop' the price, and introduce a new higher end model and conviently leave out that the new replacements are the new platform without the emotion chip.

Oh Sony.. you are so sly..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Check out the good chart comparing all the models on Joystiq

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/08/26/ta...tation-3-skus/

What I don't get is... how in the world can they ship these with a COMPOSITE video cable with a straight face? I mean they promote the hell out of it as this high end media station - and yet don't even ship analog HD cables?? At least you can use a standard HDMI cable and not have to buy a sony-specific one.

I didn't realize they had dropped the flash card reader too.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Earth Intruder

I sound like a broken record here, but it's pretty much a waste to purchase a Ps3 with more hard drive space.

From what it is showing above, for $100 it gives you an additional 80 megs.

I just bought a second internal SATA hard drive for my computer (the same thing that's in my ps3); $60 for 320GB.

Hmmm..... $60 for 320GB. Or $100 for 80GB.

Do the math!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Disneyland is your land.

The fact that there has been SIX different SKU's blows my mind. I've been thinking about plunking down the change for the PS3 (not so much now since Final Fantasy 13 is making the trek to the 360) but with so many different systems, configurations, and crap how does Sony expect someone to buy this thing?

Also why add so many features if your just going to cut them anyway? Did Sony finally realize most people could really care less if they had a Flash card reader in their system? Which system has BC and which doesn't? I seriously miss the days when you bought a playstation it was the samething your friend bought six months ago...
    Class of 2005...

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    The fact that there has been SIX different SKU's blows my mind.
    Well.. remember.. only two 'current' ones. Sony would consider the two current ones all you should be concerned with

Also why add so many features if your just going to cut them anyway?
    Because the platform was ill planned. They were a year late due adding blu-ray. They were wrong in their expectations of what people would be willing to pay. They made many decisions that were detached from what would lure customers and not just diehards. They believed the market would want 'x' and they were wrong. They have been paying the price since. Now they are focusing on reducing costs so they can get healthy and continue to win customers slowly and build steam. But financially they needed to clean house and they have been trying to do that.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Earth Intruder

The fact that there has been SIX different SKU's blows my mind. I've been thinking about plunking down the change for the PS3 (not so much now since Final Fantasy 13 is making the trek to the 360) but with so many different systems, configurations, and crap how does Sony expect someone to buy this thing?
    To be fair, the Xbox360 has had 5 SKUs that I know of:

XBox360 Core (discontinued)
    XBox360 Arcade
    XBox360 Premium/Pro 20GB (discontinued)
    XBox360 Premium/Pro 60GB
    XBox360 Elite

So yeah, a little research needs to be done no matter which system you are getting (Wii excluded).

And while the Blu-Ray did delay the Ps3 by a lot of time (compared to the rushed-out XBox360 and its massive hardware meltdown rate), in the end, Blu-Ray won (which owes a lot of Ps3 sales). Many people bought (and are buying) the Ps3 for the Blu-ray first and the rest second. So while Sony may be having to recoup financial costs related to the Ps3, why should we really care, as long as we have a great player/game system/media player?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    And while the Blu-Ray did delay the Ps3 by a lot of time (compared to the rushed-out XBox360 and its massive hardware meltdown rate), in the end, Blu-Ray won (which owes a lot of Ps3 sales).
    Bluray won - but which HD format won wasn't a concern of the gaming industry. It was Sony's concern Sony drug the gaming world into the HD format war. It was a huge risk for Sony... one that has paid off for the mothership Sony probably for the next 5 years... but has burdened the entertainment division.

If you want an interesting (and scolding) read about the 360 hardware failures. Check out this article that just came out. It's rather long, but shows the emphasis that Microsoft put on the launch schedule.

Arguably they were correct to an extent. You can write off big paper losses, but you can't write your own market success. Timing was important for 360 to get a headstart on the competition and they took advantage of it. The hardware failures have not crippled sales - so they were a costly mistake, but one that hasn't cost them the war yet. If PS3 would have been $150-$200 cheaper out of the gate.. I bet we'd be looking at a really different landscape today.

So Microsoft gambled with their money.. Sony gambled you'd give up YOUR money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Many people bought (and are buying) the Ps3 for the Blu-ray first and the rest second. So while Sony may be having to recoup financial costs related to the Ps3, why should we really care, as long as we have a great player/game system/media player?
    Because if you bought the system to play games - you are relying on Sony being healthy so sales continue to grow. If Sony were to roll over and pull back from SECA or gaming all together - that would seriously hinder future development of titles by 3rd party devs.

Platforms need to keep selling strong to attract development of 3rd party. So sales #s are important to secure future titles.

But if you only bought the PS3 to be a blu-ray player... you could probably care less

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Disneyland is your land.

While I don't discredit the 360 hardware failures or anything, I can happily say I've owned my 360 for almost 2 and half years and had absolutely no issues (knock on wood!). Hopefully it stays that way...
    Class of 2005...

• Pilot EdForceOne

We recently had our first failure in our circle of friends... ironically right after my Wii started failing.

The 360 return process was simple.. including giving you return shipping materials. The Wii repair was very fast and easy, but you had to supply your own packing material for shipping it in.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• My Boss Has No Idea

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    If PS3 would have been $150-$200 cheaper out of the gate.. I bet we'd be looking at a really different landscape today.
    Ain't that the truth!

If I woulda waited 18 months I could have saved $100 bucks, gained 3x the GB space and receive a game included but lose 2 usb ports, flash reader and PS2 backwards compatibility? No sweat off my brow... Sony is hurting and Resistance 2 and MSG4 aren't helping

COMING IN THE YEAR 2020

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by JafarFarAway... View Post
    Ain't that the truth!

If I woulda waited 18 months I could have saved $100 bucks, gained 3x the GB space and receive a game included but lose 2 usb ports, flash reader and PS2 backwards compatibility? No sweat off my brow... Sony is hurting and Resistance 2 and MSG4 aren't helping
    I have an early ps3 with the 4 usb ports. Eyetoy, Singstar mics, and 2 recharge usbs. That's 4 USB ports that I don't have to keep plugging and replugging = good. Backwards Compatibility with upscaling = good. Flash reader? eeh... thats sort of whatever for me.

Prices on these things usually come down (or stay the same, and get bundled) so I'm not seeing the big deal here.

I'm not sure where the "MGS4 isn't helping" is coming from, considering that it doubled US sales of the hardware from May to June, and had even more success in Japan with hardware sales (and this from a market where there are way more Ps3s than anything already). The UK is the only market where it didn't do much (only a 7% increase in hardware sales).

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think he means they weren't the break-away titles they were hoping it would be. They've raised sales - but it didn't start a rally and break away.

I think with the price adjustments - they will continue to eat into Microsoft's lead pretty steadily. I just don't think they will break away this generation...

Am I evil? yes, I am