• Missing an Angel

X-Box 360 Questions

So the little one is getting an X-Box 360 for Christmas.

I didn't bother asking questions about it when I bought it. After reading a couple of posts here I kept seeing stuff about hard drives for it. So my question is, is a hard drive a must? Do they sell memory cards? If so, do you have to have a memory card if you have a hard drive to save your games? Thanks!

• Seasick

Re: X-Box 360 Questions

You don't need memory cards if you get one with a hard drive. I can't imagine getting the base model with no hard drive. The base model (Arcade) does come with a small memory card.

Do you need the priciest model with the 120 gig hard drive? Probably only if you want to maintain a large library of game demos and other files. I imagine most people will be perfectly happy with the mid-range model.

You do have the option now to copy games to the hard drive, which may decrease load times and increase performance for some games. If you expect to permanently install a lot of games you may want the 120 gig model.

Why you shouldn't buy an Xbox 360 Arcade | News Blog - CNET News

"The price is certainly right, but here's why I don't think you should even bother with it. If you ever plan on gaming beyond a few Xbox Live Arcade titles, you'll most certainly need a hard drive attachment--256MB can only keep you afloat for so long. Think about it: no room for game demos, Marketplace content, or for ripping your music. Hell, you can only fit a limited number of Arcade titles on a 256MB flash card as it is. Upgrading to a 20GB hard drive after the fact will cost you no less than $90, which would bring your Xbox 360 Arcade price up to $370."
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• no flash photography...

mine came with a hard drive. I don't have memory cards.

• Charmander!

Yeah, hard drive is a must. I have a 20 gig drive and it works just fine.
    The memory cards dont give nearly enough storage space and not worth the purchase price IMO. The HDD is detachable so you can always take it somewhere if you want to and put it on another xbox.

If you got the arcade version of the xbox (with no hard drive included) i'd suggest taking it back and getting one with a drive.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

microsoft offers a 256mb memery card for free or a 20gb hdd upgrade for $20 through xbox.com for people with qualifying systems (core or arcade). They also sell a 60gb hdd upgrade for $100. This will have everything that would come in the Pro box, the hdd, headset, ethernet cable and 3 month xbox live gold card. You can buy a 120gb and sell the data transfer kit for about $35-40 on eBay. If you are going to connect to the internet at all, you are going to be prompted on launch to do the mandatory update to the NXE dashboard. This requires at least 128mb of storage.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

The newest Arcade systems coming out now are actually coming with 256mb of built in storage. This is for the mandatory update.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

It looks like they changed the program. You now get a 20gb hdd and 3 months of Gold for $29.99. Still a great deal.

Xbox.com | Accessories - Xbox 360 Hard Drive: Upgrade your Arcade Console Today

You say "little one", how old are we talking? The younger and the less likely you are to use the console, the less storage you will need. I have a 120gb, but I'm ripping games I play often. With GH:WT and RB2 taking 6.5gb each, a smaller drive wasn't going to let me rip as many games.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring