Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Just this guy......

Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

I know that a lot of you are PS3 fans, but this news is not good.

From CNN:
    Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

Alone among the three major videogame consoles, sales of the PS3 are down about 19% from November 2007, according to the latest stats from the NPD Group. Sony was only able to sell 378,000 PS3s this November, compared to 466,000 last year.

And the problem for Sony isn't the recession, it's the PS3. Microsoft (MSFT) put up respectable numbers with its Xbox 360, selling 836,000 units vs 777,000 in November 2007. And Nintendo's (NTDOY) Wii continues to dominate the market, more than doubling sales from 981,000 to 2.04 million.
    So why is the PS3 flopping so badly?

1. It's the most expensive console on the market, $150 - $200 more than its rivals. Even if you believe the video game industry is "recession-proof" (it isn't), a tanking economy makes consumers more price-conscious.
    2. The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
    3. The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console. "LittleBigPlanet" has generated decent buzz but isn't a game-changer, and neither is Sony's new virtual world "Home."

There's really only one option left for Sony to remain in the game: deep price cuts, and not just for people with good credit. Tell yourself the PS3 has superior graphics if it makes you feel better, but a $400 console with a mediocre game library simply cannot compete against an Xbox 360 priced at $200 in this economy.

• Senior Minion

Re: Sony's PS3 A Sinking Ship: Sales Plummet

That's why I bought LBP and borrowed my BF's PS3, no way was I going to spend all my money on a sucky system.

• DCA FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    That's why I bought LBP and borrowed my BF's PS3, no way was I going to spend all my money on a sucky system.
    I had the system for about 2 weeks, played 2 games and after everything was done I returned it, couldn't justify the price for the same experience my 360 gives me but my 360 has live and that just kills anything PSN offers.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Seasick

The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50".
    Not exactly true. The Dark Knight will likely be the first million seller Blu-ray title, having sold 600,000 units in its first day, representing 20% of sales of the title (source: The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age).

Blu-ray is being adapted at a rate comparable to DVD, which itself was the fastest adopted home entertainment technology ever, I believe.

I bought a PS3 last year, primarily for use as a Blu-ray player. With no stand-alone Blu-ray players selling for less, it was a no-brainer.

With Blu-ray players dropping in price, the PS3 is starting to look too expensive as a game machine. I think the machine was a brilliant success in that it decided the high-def format war in Sony's favor, IMO, but its long-term success as a gaming platform is in question.

I tend to use my recently purchased XBox 360 for games. It's definately the better value for those not wanting Blu-ray.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

20% isn't all that much. I guarantee you that after 2 years, DVD had more than a 20% market share over VHS.

• Seasick

My Two Cents - Archived Posts (12/11/08 - 11/11/08)

Also today, the Digital Entertainment Group held an interesting press event this morning in Hollywood to talk about the latest HDTV and Blu-ray Disc market research. On hand were senior home video execs from all the major Hollywood studios. Among the interesting revelations (and we'll be talking about them a lot more on Monday) were these: We're now a little over 2 years into the growth of the Blu-ray format. At the same point in the early life of DVD, there were 1.2 million DVD players in U.S. homes. Fox's Mike Dunn claimed that there are more than 2.5 million stand-alone Blu-ray players in the U.S. today, with another 8 million PS3s. Price points for both Blu-ray hardware and software are at about the same level as they were at this point for DVD. BD hardware sales were reportedly up 25% in October from the previous year. And Blu-ray software sales are actually AHEAD of the DVD software sales curve, and have been accelerating even in the last two months as the economic slowdown has become more obvious. The DEG says that a year ago, Blu-ray made up about 10% of total sales of new blockbuster titles. Today, that total is 14%, and the industry expects that to increase to between 18-20% in the next year (likely starting with Warner's The Dark Knight). Much of this is being driven by the adoption of HDTVs in the U.S. (which are now installed in 50% of U.S. households). The DEG's research indicates that some 28% of HDTV households in the U.S. currently view Blu-ray movies. No actual hard numbers were given, but according to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are roughly 111 million households in the U.S. (as of 2007), so some 55 million of those current have HDTVs. At a 28%, that comes out to about 15 million U.S. households watching Blu-rays, either on stand-alone players or PS3s. That's our own rough calculation based on the estimated percentages the DEG provided. We suspect the actual number is somewhere between 10 and 15 million, which would more closely match up with the estimated number of BD players and PS3s mentioned above - something north of 10.5 million. Regardless, that's still an impressive figure when you consider that the laserdisc market - at its height - amounted to a total of 2 million LD players here in the States. In a little over two years, Blu-ray has ALREADY far surpassed laserdisc and is currently running ahead of the DVD adoption curve. So much for those claims that Blu-ray will remain a niche market.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Too bad the article fails to acknowledge the speed of which technology changes now TEN YEARS after DVD video was out in the market. Technology option in 1997 is way different then it is in 2008.

Plus your article is primarily talking about DRIVES - not disc sales. 28% of homes watching bluray is a crock.

This season has finally brought the price of players down.. but Media hasn't budged really. Until they fix that.. its going to suffer a painful growth while competing technologies are charging fast.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

50% of homes having an HDTV is also a crock.

They are pulling numbers out of their (well, you know) as evidenced by this line in the link:

No actual hard numbers were given

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Plus your article is primarily talking about DRIVES - not disc sales. 28% of homes watching bluray is a crock.
    Most likely true. The vast majority of co-workers (most are over 45) I talk to this about don't have a clue what I'm talking about. The younger generation does though. A lot of my friends (early 30's) have HDTV and Blu-ray in the home however. Almost a majority in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    20% isn't all that much. I guarantee you that after 2 years, DVD had more than a 20% market share over VHS.
    I have no hard numbers, but I'm not so sure. DVD players were a pricey luxury for a while, I was still using VHS until I could afford one. It was a big deal when The Matrix became a million seller, which didn't happen overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    50% of homes having an HDTV is also a crock.
    I thought that seemed high.

In any case, Blu-ray is clearly not a niche product like Laserdisc was.

So, uh, what does this have to do with the PS3? I feel off-topic

• Earth Intruder

Besides the Blu-ray comment being simply untrue, the "most expensive console on the market by $150-$200" comment is only true if you compare the truly crappy Xbox 360 Arcade (which cuts out things like, oh, the hard drive) to the Ps3. And that the Ps3 does have exclusive titles such as MGS4. Granted, the "exclusive" stuff has been lacking, but there are plenty of amazing multiplatform games on all the systems (Fallout 3, Bioshock, Oblivion, etc.).

However, making up facts to make it sound snarky leads to more readers, eh CNN?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Regarding prices... the 10,000ft view supports the reporter's comments

Xbox360 prices... $199, $299, $399
    PS3 Prices... $399, $499

And that's not even taking into account the insane bundles and pricing specials that have been going on for the 360 this holiday season.

Skipping the 'what if I want to build the identical system' defense.. when you look at the shelf prices.. yes is it $100-$200 different.

The other stat this 'household' penetration crap overlooks is... the reality between having ONE set in the house, and all your sets. Even in my house, I only have one HDTV, the other 2 are still 20" CRTs.

With networked DVRs... streaming... on-demand... downloads... all emmerging, I have no real interest in BluRay. If I had my home theatre done... sure I'd consider it. But I don't, so ease of access wins over higher quality for me right now.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

If it was cheaper, had big name games and backwards compatability I'd get one in a heartbeat, but the Backwards compatability or lack there of is a real kick in the teeth
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

I bought a 60GB with BC last year for $500. I have about 5 hours of gaming on it and the rest has been as a Blu-Ray player. Almost all of my gaming is done on the 360 with the balance on the Wii. Sony has the first game I've even considered buying coming out with Killzone 2. That aside from Singstar will be the first real game I will buy for this console.

You need to question Sony's judgement when at this point in the US economy, they bring out a more expensive system rather than a less expensive one.

They need to start chopping features and get the price down to $299. Lose the wireless, card readers, blue tooth and go to a 20gb drive.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    backwards compatability or lack there of is a real kick in the teeth
    That's the main point that got me, I have a lot of PS and PS2 games I still enjoy that are not compatible.

• 'splosions

thats why i bought the PS3 with the backwards compatibility =]

I love my PS3 to death and i truly use all of its multimedia abilities, though i game on it the most

i can admit i only have 2 Blu-Ray movies (Iron Man and The Dark Knight), and i mostly play PS/PS2 games on it (though MGS4 and Uncharted get alot of play as well) I'm still glad I traded in my 360 for it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast