• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

OnLive - end of the console wars?

This could be the end of the console wars and the need to upgrade your PC every time a new game comes out.

Gaming: OnLive Streaming Games Turn Any TV or PC Into a Bleeding-Edge Gaming Machine

Through a cheap set-top box or a simple PC software client, OnLive streaming games can deliver the latest system-melting titles to crappy hardware you already have. The service's secret? Cloud rendering. In a nutshell: OnLive runs the games on their powerful servers, the output is then rendered as a video stream and then sent to your OnLive set-top box, PC or even netbook, taking expensive, loud, obsolescence-prone gaming PCs out of the picture entirely. 720p HD streams are said to be possible over a 5mbps connection, while SD gaming only calls for a 1.5mbps line.Hardware requirements are virtually nonexistent, meaning that you can play, say, Crysis, on anything from your MacBook to your Aspire One to your Dell Studio to your eMachines ****box. If you want to hook the service up to a TV, OnLive will sell you a set-top box for "less than a Wii", which shoulders just enough of a load to play back OnLive's HD streams. The service itself will likely operate on a subscription model, but OnLive hasn't given any firm details on how much that'll cost. And before your ask, publishers are already on board, including EA, THQ, Ubisoft, and Epic. Really.

OnLive Demos Streaming Games: Yes, That's Crysis on Integrated Graphics

I'll grant that OnLive—the streaming game service that its makers claim will bring high-end games to virtually any PC or TV—borders on implausible, but you gotta beliiieevve! For the haters, here's a demo video.
    Plenty is discussed here, and it's worth watching all the way through if you were at all intrigued by yesterday's announcement. The genuine boner moment is at around 15:00, when a lowly Dell Studio 15 plays Crysis without even flinching. The presenters discussed latency and did their best to demonstrate that OnLive does provide the same experience as a proper gaming machine, but until the service rolls out it'll be impossible to tell if this is true. If the games feel even slightly laggy it'll be a huge blow—OnLive will live or die by a few milliseconds. [Gamespot]

This sounds REALLY interesting, especially since they have support from the publishers. Being able to run Crysis on pretty much ANY computer would definitely get me more into PC gaming. Especially since it supports a controller.

Re: OnLive - end of the console wars?

I think we're still far from this taking off and ending the so-called "console war". The quality of gaming depends on your internet connection. Also I think people would still like copies of their games (even if they would be just digital downloads).
    Last edited by Mr. Yeti; 03-26-2009 at 02:06 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Just like the record companies believed people would always like hard copies of their music???

• Pilot EdForceOne

as someone from the compression industry... these guys aren't promising the world.. but the universe. The hands on demos at GDC weren't as stellar as the press conference.

I don't see it as a real threat to the dedicated home systems... but does give some interesting angles to other gaming formats.. like hotels, mobile, rentals, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Just like the record companies believed people would always like hard copies of their music???
    By copies, I really mean either discs or even a digital download. But not just streaming.

I think we'll see this technology incorporated into systems, but I don't think it'll be an outright replacement any time soon. Plus, people still by CDs.
    Last edited by Mr. Yeti; 03-26-2009 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    eh not quite

you need to think of this not so much as a download but more like the worse DRM deal you can get

if you haven't read up on DRM you really should probably the worse way to buy music ever :B Imagine paying for a copy of something that's only digital that has special controls were it vanishes the second the person you bought it from feels like it should, or maybe that company just goes under and suddenly your purchase is yoinked out of your hand

like when this thing goes bad and suddenly you'll just have yourself a sw33t paperweight and accompanying controller

• Lonestar Louisianian

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    like when this thing goes bad and suddenly you'll just have yourself a sw33t paperweight and accompanying controller
    I have that, it's called a "GameCube."

(sorry, not constructive I know, but I couldn't resist)

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

My boyfriend has signed up to beta test this device this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by NatdRat View Post
    I have that, it's called a "GameCube."

(sorry, not constructive I know, but I couldn't resist)

awww that's mean... but mostly true :P I got alot of honest use out of my gamecube back in the day but now that I have my Wii there isn't really any reason to have a cube or any useful function for it. Kinda like having the origional GBA after the superior GBA SP came out.

but I gotta say at least the cube is still somewhat functional, I mean it can be used to play it's old catalog even if owning one is redundant (and the amount of great titles is slim compared to other past systems)

a system based purly on streaming brings a whole new meaning to the term paperweight if the company goes under/ends its service

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

the service can run on any entry level pc. They haven't decided if it is going to be buy or subscription based service.

• Circle of Ancients

My son still plays the GC quite a bit. We don't use the Wii for the GC games just because the slot for the GC controllers is in a REALLY stupid place, especially if you have the Wii on it's stand where it looks all cool and stuff.

If they could somehow allow GC games to use the Classic Controller, well then that would rock. I really don't get why they didn't do that.