Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Darkness to Light

So, I got a Wii and need title recommendations...

...and even though it is mine, I know that the rest of the family will end up playing it. Last night, my mom actually was able to play and enjoy the Wii Sports title that came with it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what games I should look into? Please keep in mind that this is going to be used mostly as a way to try and bring back some family time in my household, so games that do that (Mario Party comes to mind) would be great.

Thanks in advance!
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Re: So, I got a Wii and need title recommendations...

for family time i recommend boom blox, mario party 8, wario ware, and mario kart wii. i do love family party games

• far, far away from DL

Boom Blox is great. Wii sports is the greatest family game. We love the bowling and Tennis. Another fun game is Carnival games. That has lots of mini games to choose from.

• DCA FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by adamthecarolla View Post
    for family time i recommend boom blox, mario party 8, wario ware, and mario kart wii. i do love family party games
    Mario Kart for the family is a must. It's a blast playing 4 players split screen or online.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• I'm not really here

Mario Kart is probably the #1 family game ever made. Other sports titles are usually good, especially tennis. Rock Band is pricey, but a lot of fun for a family to play.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Circle of Ancients

I agree with Mario Kart.

I'd also include Mario Party and Wii Play (only because you get another wiimote, the game itself sucks).

As far as "other" games, ExciteTruck is VERY fun, and you can probably find it pretty inexpensive since it's one of the original games.

If you don't have them on other systems, Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars are really fun as well.

Fighting games, Super Smash Bros. is fun. And of course, if your a fan of Mario and Zelda, you can't go wrong with Twilight Princess (Zelda) and Super Mario Galaxy.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree with Mario Kart.
    Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Star Wars
    Super Smash Bros. Super Mario Galaxy.
    Agree with Gregg on all of these -- love Super Mario Galaxy. I am a Mario fan. In that category I'd add Mario Super Sluggers.

For a third party title:

My favorite family game is (and I have said it many times before, if you've heard it, please indulge me) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5Npu9fjRw"]Samba de Amigo[/ame] and the peripheral maracas. We play this as a family and laugh so much. If anyone in your family lacks rhythm and will play this, you laugh even more. Really fun.

• DCA FTW!

Yea samba de amigo is good too. If you're into adventure Games there is Resident Evil 4, and Zelda Twilight Princess. I would also recommend Zak and Wiki, Mad World, Super Smash brothers brawl (this is 4 players too), and the WiiWare download World of Goo. There is this wind type of game that you use the pointer to control wind around your charcter to get him places, its great but the name of this one slips my mind but its a download that can be found in the wiiware section of the WiiShopChannel. Don't forget to download your free WiiWare channels that nintendo offers too.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    Don't forget to download your free WiiWare channels that nintendo offers too.
    Yeah, I've been trolling through the Nintendo Channel looking at titles. I refuse to download the Check Mii Out channel, mostly because we'll be limiting how much online play that system gets.

Remember, this is the FamWii. No real online play for me, and the library will be mostly titles that feature a lot of multiplayer aspects.

I love Boomblocks and Raving Rabbids!

My best score ever!

• Crazy Furry

Let's see, Mario Kart, Party and Tennis are all very good choices. Raving Rabbid's are certainly fun games.
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl is also a very good choice.

Samba De Amigo is also a very nice choice, it was a great game on the Dreamcast and on the Wii it's certainly no exception.

Now if you don't mind having some M-rated single player games, No More Heros and MadWord are certainly worth checking out.
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

•   
    • Seasick

Dance Dance Revolution Disney Grooves just came out. Comes with two dance pads and is a fun group activity.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    Yeah, I've been trolling through the Nintendo Channel looking at titles. I refuse to download the Check Mii Out channel, mostly because we'll be limiting how much online play that system gets.

Remember, this is the FamWii. No real online play for me, and the library will be mostly titles that feature a lot of multiplayer aspects.
    how non online you talkin?

There are still a few family games you can get only on the online store if I'm not mistaken

things that come to mind are Dr Mario (if you'll remember that puzzler from back in the day, online is in the title but local is available and one of the better modes of the game is local ONLY)

also Tetris Party is a must I hear

and Bomberman is also awsome with up to eight players possible locally (if you've ever played Hudsons classic series it's great fun for teh kidz once you get used to the unique timing and pacing of the game)

you can also get some N64 classics like Star Fox if you enjoyed that series and it's competative battle mode, of course there's the N64 Mario Kart though I personally actually enjoy the Wii verison more (it's acceptable to own both in my book)

those are the best supplimental channels I can think of for the time being

titles you'll want to keep an eye on are going to be Excitebots (sequal to excite trucks, seems to do a better job of communicating the games focus of doing tricks rather then racing so it won't confues newbs as much) and of course Wii Sports Resort (more games, better motion sensing because of new adapter)

Mario Tennis didn't review well with it's new play control so I won't recommend it, Mario Strikers was pretty fun but a bit frantic for people not used to that kinda thing. Never tried baseball.

Since your emphasizing Family time I'm trying to avoid single player things because those are selfish (Zelda is fun but it is pretty much the opposite of family time) I will mention the two-ish player feature of Mario Galaxy. It's a great way to teach others how to do a 3D platformer by first having them provide assistance to you as you play then passing the main controls to them and taking up the second controls as you help them to boose confidence (me and my cousin have taught two non gaming adults how to game in the modern era with this method which is suprising)

• Circle of Ancients

^ Yeah, from what I gather, the new Mario Tennis is just a port from the GC version. What a crock.

As far as "online" play, the only games we have played online is Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Brothers.

As far as "downloading", we've really enjoyed playing all of the Super Mario Bros, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, etc. As well as classics like punch out, metroid, tecmo bowl, etc.

Sure we could hook up the NES or SNES, but it's just easier this way.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    how non online you talkin?
    We've agreed to not do online gaming if we can avoid it. If there is a game that does have online play and we know someone who has the same game, then we may consider it, but we are not going to open the Wii to everyone.

Basically, we're filtering online game play to Buddies only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast