Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: VMK unleashed?

Re: VMK unleashed?

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    Apeman is a 14 year old kid which mean he cannot legally enter into contracts, drive a car, drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, vote, and other stuff.

Why would you put your faith in a kid who can legally renege on any deal he makes? Anyone who did VMK or any other game sites such as Howrse, Fay, Furry Paws, Gaia, Cat Tails and Wajas could tell you that while some teens are shrewd businessmen and capable of running a corporation many are not up to running a business.

why not give up on VMK like I did and move on. It is not coming back and the only way anyone can recreate VMK is to have enough money, time, and man power to produce, monitor and run such a site. Look at all the people it took to run VMK like VMK_Babs. It would take massive amounts of resources to recreate and run VMK.

You all trusted a kid and got burned, sorry but I like teens but would never trust one to recreate VMK. No money, no free time, and parents to deal with.
    The truth is, money isn't necessary and nor is game monitoring. To simply bring back VMK like Apeman is attempting is actually possible.. but would it be safe for children..? Would it be lag free..? Will it be frequently updated..etc..? The answer is clearly no.

With summer coming up, I don't think free time is a concern to some. It's not like they're trying to bring back exactly the same way it was when it closed.. There's always going to be that limit but I still think it's possible to do at no additional cost.. Even if that meant going to the extent as some have attempted and trying to recreating VMK.

However, I agree with you. I don't believe Apeman has enough understanding to host VMK. He doesn't realize that the files are only a fraction of the necessities needed for VMK. It is illegal but so is all the Habbo retros. It's not like they care (I'm pretty sure everyone knows that using someone else' work = illegal).

I for one am not interested in playing VMK again but I'll continue to monitor some of these sites to see how it all unfolds.

• Banned User

What mad e VMK special?

It was kid friendly and well supervised. For a Baptist lady that is important because I do not like cussing and other stuff you find at some sites. Check out club Penguin to see a current site like VMK where cussing and rude behavior is not tolerated. That is what made the site so special, the supervision and safety features.

VMK had its bad times but the key was the ability to play the game. It was a good game because it had servers and technicians to maintain the site. Would you come to MiceChat if it was always down and some of your posts were deleted because the server ate everything for the past week? what made VMK special was that we could count on it to be there.

VMK had time on its hands that many people do not have. Summer is a kid's free time but the site needs a full time person who along with moderators can be there when customers complain or when the site is not running right. What makes a site great is the management team that makes sure that the site is running right and who interacts with customers to keep people enthused with the site.

VMK also had a legal team that made sure they did not break laws. A new site would have to learn about COPPA and other legal matters. Also VMK was run by a corporation with nearly a century of service and a reputation.

Glad you realized that 14-year olds grow up and start thinking about other things in life besides running a site.

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    What mad e VMK special?

It was kid friendly and well supervised. For a Baptist lady that is important because I do not like cussing and other stuff you find at some sites. Check out club Penguin to see a current site like VMK where cussing and rude behavior is not tolerated. That is what made the site so special, the supervision and safety features.

VMK had its bad times but the key was the ability to play the game. It was a good game because it had servers and technicians to maintain the site. Would you come to MiceChat if it was always down and some of your posts were deleted because the server ate everything for the past week? what made VMK special was that we could count on it to be there.

VMK had time on its hands that many people do not have. Summer is a kid's free time but the site needs a full time person who along with moderators can be there when customers complain or when the site is not running right. What makes a site great is the management team that makes sure that the site is running right and who interacts with customers to keep people enthused with the site.

VMK also had a legal team that made sure they did not break laws. A new site would have to learn about COPPA and other legal matters. Also VMK was run by a corporation with nearly a century of service and a reputation.

Glad you realized that 14-year olds grow up and start thinking about other things in life besides running a site.
    I don't think these 14 year olds have a whole lot going on in their lives if they're willing to spend that much time moderating, coding and doing whatever else they do for the sites. I may not know that for sure and that does raise a concern but that's a concern for their parents. We can only discourage them but their eagerness and motivation will most likely keep them going. I say, let them figure out that they may not be able to recreate VMK as they planned.

The legality and well moderation that were part of Disney's VMK don't have to follow through with their remakes. It's not a requirement but I agree that it's part of a good game. I'm suspecting that their games would crumble or seek out more community aid in the event of a disaster.

Thumbs down Re: VMK unleashed?

I have been looking at both sites, VMKRelived and VMKUMagic, for quite some time now. I do believe that both of them won't succeed and will run into problems with either Disney, or their members.

First, lets talk about VMKRelived (VMKR), originally called VMKingdoms (VMKi). VMKRelived is a small forum where ignorance is bliss. It is/was being run by a 14 year old boy who lives in Massachusetts. His name is Thomas Sohmers, also known as Apeman. After a huge debate with Apeman and GPDOT, which I will explain in a later paragraph, VMKingdoms closed, but reopened under a new domain name, which is VMKRelived. VMKRelived is currently owned by Justin Jolley, also known as VMK_Blitz, a former developer of VMKi. Currently, the staff didn't provide any proof of the game besides a few poorly photoshopped images of VMK, and files of VMK.

The staff said they provided plenty of proof in Apeman's videos. The only "proof" they showed us was Apeman opening files of VMK via a program called Adobe Director. Other than that, nothing. On all of Apeman's videos, he acts like he knows a whole lot about making an online game. However, the only thing he does is open some VMK files on his "super" Gateway computer.

As many already know, a huge debate erupted between Apeman and GPDOT. Apeman supposedly used GPVMK files when he showed us a video of him testing out VMKi on an Iphone. Apeman immediately said he never used any of GPDOT's work, even though it was right there on the video. The main thing that gave away proof of him using GPVMK was when he opened the Main Street Map. For a few seconds, you could see two buttons that enabled Christmas and Halloween decorations, the exact thing GPVMK had. Apeman then immediately changed his story saying he just used pictures of GPVMK. Around the same time, another developer posted on the forums saying Apeman did use files of GPVMK. The staff then had three stories buzzing around, so what did they do? Close the site. Then open it back up. Then closed it again, and changing the domain name to VMKRelived because Apeman's dad wanted VMKingdoms domain back since the other staff took it and demodded Apeman.

However, it seems like they didn't learn from that incident. On June 11th, Apeman was secretly rehired as an admin again by a different name. Word quickly got out that it was Apeman in disguise. He lied saying he wasn't Apeman, until they told the truth and closed the forum for a little bit.

Currently, the forum turned extremely strict and saying the slightest bad thing about VMKR can result in getting your topic locked or your account getting banned. Due to what I saw in this game, it's depressing and shouldn't even have a forum. It keeps closing down every week because of arguments between staff and players and it can't maintain peace. I am eagerly awaiting on what will happen next. So far, they have proven nothing but fights. The saddest part about this forum is that it only has 300 members. If the staff can't even control a forum with 300 members, good luck controlling an online game.

Now, as for VMK Unlimited (VMKU Magic), there really isn't much to say, other than the staff do nothing at all. The staff consist of members from VMKU and VMKi. The lead developer of VMKU is Matt Satter (Not entirely sure if that is his real name), also known as Sportcar/Stitch.

One thing that baffles me is why the reason they needed to delay Alpha tesing. Here is a quote from one of the developers:

Due to an Ex-Staff Member giving out backdoor information to the game, we are going to have to delay the release of the Alpha Test.
    In my opinion, that is not a legimate excuse for delaying an Alpha test. All because a staff member gave out some backdoor info, doesn't mean it needs to be delayed. I wouldn't care if they just said they needed more time. I would understand that, since they are being 100% honest. But the excuse they gave just isn't right.

Like VMKi/VMKR, they haven't shown much proof. The only proof they gave is a few edited rooms of VMK. Some are good, and some are bad. They aren't as strict as VMKi/VMKR and they had alot less fighting on the forum too, but they still had their moments where an argument erupted. I do believe that this site has shown more professionalism than VMKi/VMKR, and is more stable, but that doesn't mean they aren't going to succeed. But hey, at least they admitted that they might not be able to create the game.

Now, to discuss an important issue for both games: Safety. These games are being run by teens. I know Summer is approaching and they'll have more time to monitor the site, but what happenes when they need to get back to school and work? They are just going to leave it unsafe, or with one or two moderators? If they close and open the game like VMK did, the opening time would be pretty late. Also, from what the forums showed me, some of the staff seem to be joining in conflicts and not trying to stop it. If a game does come out, I wonder how they will resolve the issues?

To wrap up this very long post, I believe that currently, both games have lack of evidence of them trying to create VMK. I would really be happy if I see some original work, and not edits of VMK. I really don't think VMK should be remade in any form. I wish they can leave VMK the way it is and move on. I know it's hard, but I did. It's like if a friend moves away and you can never see them again. You shouldn't get another person to act like your old friend. It just isn't right...

-VMK101
    Last edited by VMK101; 06-14-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Well said VMK101, however, I believe Justin Jolley is VMK_Blitz, the admin who doesn't proof read.

To add on to the VMKR section; one of the earlier staff, "VMK_Fly" or "DEV_Fly" was probably the first to admit that Apeman had used GPVMK publicly. His thread and his account disappeared with the reemerged VMKRelived.

One of the site's critics who posts under the alias "Truth" has been banned several times and has even claimed to have received harassing emails from staff. On June 12th or 13th, she posted a thread concerning DEV_Apeman's new alias "DEV_Narim". She pointed out a few faults made by DEV_Apeman but kept everything "flame-free". A staff later closed the thread to prevent "future flaming".

What next? The site claims to have impersonators and scammers using AIM to seek out forum members. The site also claims to have all legal issues sorted out including the patent issue rehashed by Adam_rocks. DEV_Apeman has apparently "solved" this issue by pointing out his interpretation of the patent's abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by DEV_Apeman on VMKRelived
    Its a patent, not copyright ......

1) Ok, also if you read the Abstract:
    Abstract "A system of interaction between an electronic theme park experience and live theme park interaction and activity earns rewards."

Now, do we have a live theme park? No.

2)Claim #1
    "A system of interaction between an electronic theme park experience and a live theme park experience comprising: an interaction permitting for rewards earned in the live theme park experience, wherein the rewards are to be redeemed in the electronic theme park experience; a network accessible to couple the electronic theme park and live theme park in real or delayed time through the network; and activities and/or rewards on the electronic theme park being designed to drive increased player visiting of the live theme park, wherein activities and/or rewards are selected based on the redeemed rewards earned in the live theme park experience and wherein the electronic theme park experience is altered by the activities and rewards. "

So if you look at claim 1, as I said before we do not have a real life park. Because we dont have a real park, we arnt driving anyone to any park (it is
    As for VMKUMagic, I'm not really paying much attention to it because it's not nearly as interesting as VMKRelived. The site is pretty much the continuation of VMKUnleashed. The moderators are actually worse than the moderators on VMKRelived. Criticism is immediately frowned upon and staff continue to leave due to quote "staff related issues". I'm almost certain that they haven't even started creating the game and that they're just simply enjoying their currently active forums. Their numbers are on the decline (compared to their average just last week of 50 users online at peak times) and it wont be long before they post the "announcement".

By the way, I've asked many people and no one had ever seen this "backdoor".

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Thumbs down Re: VMK unleashed?

Apeman is rather egotistic. He doesn't seem to care what anyone else thinks, and he won't listen to anything you tell him. He does whatever he wants. It was those things that killed the first site, and will kill this new one too.

I love his most recent post...

If you could please, and I am saying this as a preventive measure not make this go into an argument. And I say your post on VMK Un Limited, and those "Different People" are not educated in law either. Obviously terms such as "mickey mouse" and his face and such are copyrighted, and those will be removed accordingly. We are not breaking any laws what so ever.

VMK is not copyrighted! It is Patented! Two different things. Disney images and names are copyrighted. We are removing any copyright infringements that we can not defend. VMKRelived will be 99% the same as VMK, without the Disney copyrighted material.
    He doesnt seem to understand that you can be sued for violating patent rights, just as easily as you can for violating copyrights. There's just no way to help him understand, is there?

He does not like being corrected and I guess that's the flaw that keeps bringing the site down. Truth posted a thread calling him rude and I guess it's true since it wasn't necessary to bash the user when "correcting" them (even when he himself was wrong).

Meanwhile, at VMKUMagic, Adam_rocks posted the same thread about the patent. Gamedude made an announcement, the suck ups like MrBrandon were the first to post, more SkyRocket and staff drama.. etc. The situation is worse in VMKUMagic because they don't even let staff critics posts criticism or even message their criticisms directly to them. It's considered "spam" or "flaming" and "highly unacceptable" resulting in a ban that may even be permanent.
    Last edited by vmkfan13; 06-14-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vmkfan13 View Post
    He does not like being corrected and I guess that's the flaw that keeps bringing the site down. Truth posted a thread calling him rude and I guess it's true since it wasn't necessary to bash the user when "correcting" them (even when he himself was wrong).

Meanwhile, at VMKUMagic, Adam_rocks posted the same thread about the patent. Gamedude made an announcement, the suck ups like MrBrandon were the first to post, more SkyRocket and staff drama.. etc. The situation is worse in VMKUMagic because they don't even let staff critics posts criticism or even message their criticisms directly to them. It's considered "spam" or "flaming" and "highly unacceptable" resulting in a ban that may even be permanent.
    I just looked at VMKUMagic, and VMKRelived. Kudos to Adam_rocks to trying to talk some sense into both games. Sadly, it seems that he got bashed at, to the point he left. It's sad, that even with proof that VMK is copyrighted, they still don't believe it and can't get it into their thick skulls. When both gets get in trouble by Disney, we'll see who has the last laugh.

And as Mickey Mouse always says:
    "See ya in court!"

Quote Originally Posted by VMK101 View Post
    I just looked at VMKUMagic, and VMKRelived. Kudos to Adam_rocks to trying to talk some sense into both games. Sadly, it seems that he got bashed at, to the point he left. It's sad, that even with proof that VMK is copyrighted, they still don't believe it and can't get it into their thick skulls. When both gets get in trouble by Disney, we'll see who has the last laugh.

And as Mickey Mouse always says:
    "See ya in court!"
    I think Apeman is relying on his dad to solve his legal problems if he ever encounters any (which is highly likely since he's using VMK's files).

I think Apeman is relying on his dad to solve his legal problems if he ever encounters any (which is highly likely since he's using VMK's files).
    Of course. He keeps bragging how his dad owns a patent. His dad will be in for a surprise sooner or later.

As for VMK Unlimited, the game is going to fail. After looking at the debate between the staff and Adam_rocks, it seems like the staff aren't mature at all. They act like they know all about legal issues when they don't, so they solve the problem by bashing and flaming other people, and then closing the thread to act like it never happened.

It's really sad to see these teens need to learn the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by VMK101 View Post
    Of course. He keeps bragging how his dad owns a patent. His dad will be in for a surprise sooner or later.

As for VMK Unlimited, the game is going to fail. After looking at the debate between the staff and Adam_rocks, it seems like the staff aren't mature at all. They act like they know all about legal issues when they don't, so they solve the problem by bashing and flaming other people, and then closing the thread to act like it never happened.

It's really sad to see these teens need to learn the hard way.
    Yes, that's exactly how VMKRelived and VMKUMagic solve their problems. They delete all the proof, ban the members and move the threads. Like I mentioned in another post, I doubt either of them are as far into the development as they claim. It's amusing to see Apeman once brag about how he was 75% done remaking VMK and then rarely mention the game afterwards. I'll give them another day before they close down for "maintenance". VMKUMagic will just keep making forum contests while VMKRelived will continue to "copy" them, as alleged by Sportcar or "Stitch" on VMKUMagic.

Yes, that's exactly how VMKRelived and VMKUMagic solve their problems. They delete all the proof, ban the members and move the threads. Like I mentioned in another post, I doubt either of them are as far into the development as they claim. It's amusing to see Apeman once brag about how he was 75% done remaking VMK and then rarely mention the game afterwards. I'll give them another day before they close down for "maintenance". VMKUMagic will just keep making forum contests while VMKRelived will continue to "copy" them, as alleged by Sportcar or "Stitch" on VMKUMagic.
    Like I said before, Ignorance is bliss to them.

It's really sad that some of their members can't open up their eyes to see the game is a fraud.

I don't see how a site that has the complete VMK patent isn't enough proof. Somebody can shove Seth Mendelsohn in their faces explaining that VMK is still property of Disney, yet they won't understand.

I'm pretty sure that VMKUMagic as not intended to be a game but instead just VMKMagic like forums for VMKU.

In other news, there's a rumor going around about a possible upcoming Disney game called Virtual Disney World.

Confused SkyRocket who was rehired by VMKR yesterday just resigned today.
    Last edited by vmkfan13; 06-15-2009 at 06:39 PM.

I'm pretty sure that VMKUMagic as not intended to be a game but instead just VMKMagic like forums for VMKU.

In other news, there's a rumor going around about a possible upcoming Disney game called Virtual Disney World.

Confused SkyRocket who was rehired by VMKR yesterday just resigned today.
    Hah. VMKUMagic is falling apart. All there good people are leaving.

As for Virtual Disney World, I doubt that. It's way to soon for something like that to be released.

I think from what happened yesterday, people are actually getting bravery and posting what they think about this game.

As for VMKr, they still don't get it.

VMKR is also falling apart.. someone should suggest a farewell forum on their site.

Is it just me but the "carpet art" forum under VMKRelived was a typo for concept art? A friend also noticed this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DEV_Mr.Icecreamman
    I was banned for using a code generator. I'm sorry but it wasnt bad, it only generated codes from those games, and the pirates game was completely randomized, I only got sparrow once. And the only reason I was caught was because the program I used that generated the game codes had an auto enter feature, F2, and I was entering codes at 100 a minute.
    Yes, the head developer posted that.. it makes me wonder what else he's done and hiding..
    Last edited by vmkfan13; 06-16-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast