Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Now with 5% more insanity

Re: Epic Mickey Looking More Real, More Amazing

GWA... I want this game so bad... Hopefully, I'll be able to have a Wii by Christmas...

Anyway, I can totally see why this would only be for the Wii, and for more then just the tools (the original Okami game pulled it off without the Wii). It seems that Nintendo and Disney share a lot of goals, as far as being family friendly. I'd actually like to see Disney and Nintendo pair up one day... Of course, that's just a dream...

• The Darkness to Light

I agree with the Joystix article. That would be awesome if you run into Captain EO cast members or even the spider-lady. LOL
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Thank god I have a wii.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Oswald is NOT a villain! The fact that they have made him one now has me mad at Disney, and has turned me off from this game. Oswald is a very lovable character, and shouldn't be receiving this kind of treatment.

• Disneylander in Arizona!

I've seen a new article in this month's Game Informer on Epic Mickey, and might I say it looks awesome, and the shape it's taking in my opinion is outstanding. To quote Warren Spector the innovative game designer behind this game, "Disney scared the pants off me when I was a little kid. Disney needs to scare kids."

The design of it, and scope of it, are interesting. It's like Tim Burton and Walt Disney combined their dreams and this was the result. It has a new design for Mickey Mouse, one that harkens back to his beginning cartoon adventures. And this picture below sums up the game quite nicely.

The story centers around a world created by the sorcerer Yensid in which the old and forgotten attractions / characters in the Disney library go to when they are no longer needed. Accidentally however, the world is invaded by the Phantom Blot and what was intended to be a beautiful restful place became a warped version of the Magic Kingdom.

It's here that Oswald the Lucky Rabbit had been since it's creation, he was the first inhabitant. As the article quotes Warren Spector, "Walt Disney created Mickey to replace Oswald." And so the story goes, two brothers, one with the success and fame, the other forgotten by their "father."

In the game you control Mickey who wields a paint brush, and you must travel thru the now warped kingdom and in the process you decide to be endlessly helpful to the inhabitants or focused on your own agenda (as the article describes, you as Mickey can be "the Scrapper" or "the Hero"). Depending on your decisions the world will reflect your actions and so Mickey will become more or less colorful depending on your chosen path.

"This is probably impossible, we're probably going to fail. I'm in."
    --Warren Spector on Reinventing Mickey Mouse

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post scans from the magazine. Kinda knew to the whole forum stuff, heh heh.
    Last edited by Harrison; 10-16-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
    ***Next trip to the Disneyland® Resort***
    ***May 9, 2012***

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    Oswald is NOT a villain! The fact that they have made him one now has me mad at Disney, and has turned me off from this game. Oswald is a very lovable character, and shouldn't be receiving this kind of treatment.
    From the look of things, Oswald isn't looking to be so much as a villain as much as a bitter rival in this game. You know, a little brother stealing fame and glory from his older brother, leaving said older brother abandoned. To those familar with the Metal Gear Solid series, this idea should sound familiar. Anyways, I predict that Mickey and Oswald will end up working together to take on the true villain by the end of this game, Ink Blot.
    Last edited by Star Seeker; 10-16-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    "To think that once I could not see beyond the veil of reality, to see those who dwell behind... I was once a fool.." Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

• The Darkness to Light

Or Oswald will have your generic anime cliche of "once a villian now a good guy after being defeated by the main character" moment. Which I would welcome.

• Who are you again?

this game, as I said in my last post her, looks epic! the art of the game does look steampunk-y and what I think is cool, Disney is using thier forgotten rides and making them enemys, although I may will have to wait until monday for the magazine( DARNET!) *sigh*
    In the game you control Mickey who wields a paint brush, and you must travel thru the now warped kingdom and in the process you decide to be endlessly helpful to the inhabitants or focused on your own agenda (as the article describes, you as Mickey can be "the Scrapper" or "the Hero"). Depending on your decisions the world will reflect your actions and so Mickey will become more or less colorful depending on your chosen path.
    wow....now that seems awesome for the Wii, how you play the game effects the game!
    oh, and the music sounds like the game is, epic
    X)
    Last edited by jesterjack; 10-16-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

I Got The Gameinformer Magezine...And I Must Say...

I.Want.This.Game.

Mickey Looks REALLY Cool In The Game, And I Just Gotta Say...The Story Was Not What I Expected...If You Want A Hint...
    Spoiler
    The Person That Most People Thought Was The Villain...Isn't Really A Villain :P

It's Tiki Time!

• The Darkness to Light

Everything I've read so far is pointing towards either Oswald or Phantom Blot. I'd be very surprised if GameInformer spoiled who the REAL baddy is, as that isn't their style.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

A great big chunk of info that was made available today:

Inside the Game: Epic Mickey - Features - GameInformer.com
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 10-20-2009 at 04:57 AM.

• Shopping With You

This is why you shouldn't get so excited about concept art: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...8/original.jpg
    (Pic from here)

[Note: It's from the magazine. I have a subscription to GameInformer but don't have the issue yet]

Concept art is great and all, but it's usually really out-there and gets toned down for the actual game. I think they at least did something interesting with the lighting, otherwise it's not really different from Kingdom Hearts graphics except designs.

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bungle View Post
    This is why you shouldn't get so excited about concept art: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...8/original.jpg
    (Pic from here)

[Note: It's from the magazine. I have a subscription to GameInformer but don't have the issue yet]

Concept art is great and all, but it's usually really out-there and gets toned down for the actual game. I think they at least did something interesting with the lighting, otherwise it's not really different from Kingdom Hearts graphics except designs.
    Well, if you're comparing that to the concept art that I think you are, that's not really very fair since the concept art is for an entirely different area.

THIS is the concept art for the area that's featured in the magazine.

But yeah, concept art should never be trusted to give an actual portrayal of what the game is like, because...well, it's just a concept.

Oh, and in other news...JIM DOOLEY (the genius behind the Pushing Daisies soundtrack) is doing the score! He's my favorite composer of all time, so this is a big deal for me!
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 10-20-2009 at 05:08 AM.

• The Darkness to Light

It's still dark and moody for something with the Disney name. Oh, sure, it's probably not darker than the Disney portions of Kingdom Hearts, but it's still a step in the right direction for me.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Also, those in-game shots seem to mimic the Mary Blair flat style pretty well. I mean they said that the Gremlin Village is supposed to look like It's a Small World, and it does. Sure, the graphics on the Wii will not match the painted concept art, but it's pretty close at least. I'm curious about the "darker" areas now.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast