The PS3 Slim and Price Drop!

Well Sony haters, you're going to have a hard time arguing that this isn't a pretty good deal... the PS3 Slim, with a reduced size and a 120 GB hard drive, will be going on sale in early September for the price of $300. You can read all of the details, and the other Sony announcements at Gamecon, here:

$299 PS3 Slim unveiled, existing console price drops 'immediately' - PSP News at GameSpot

In addition, beginning tomorrow all of the current "fat" models of the PS3 will drop prices - an 80 GB fat will be $300, with the 120 GB Uncharted Bundle at $400.

• Seasick

Re: The PS3 Slim and Price Drop!

I would never have bought a PS3 at the original price point had I not wanted a Blu-ray player anyway.

An overdue move. Shouldn't the 80 gig model cost less than the new one though?
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    I would never have bought a PS3 at the original price point had I not wanted a Blu-ray player anyway.

An overdue move. Shouldn't the 80 gig model cost less than the new one though?
    They're eliminating the 80 GB model entirely. Microsoft, in a similar move, is rumored to be removing their 60 GB "Pro" model and bringing the Elite (120 gb) model down to $300 as well. This will bring both consoles to an identical price point - which I believe will increase Sony's sales dramatically. The PS3 simply offers far more value when offering the same price as the 360 (blu-ray, free online, built in wifi).

• Minion

I'm finally picking up a PS3 and an HDTV. Good job Sony, should have done it sooner!

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Meh, my contempt for the PS3 comes from actually owning a 60gb BC system. There just haven't been any games I've HAD to have besides Killzone 2. As far as multi-plats go, MS has been doing a great job with getting exclusive (or timed exclusive) content for them. There is no way I would have bought GTA4 or Fallout 3 for the PS3 once MS announced majorly expanded gameplay. Visually, the 360 multi-plats look better or as good as the PS3.

Now that Uncharted is dropping to Greatest Hits, I may pick it up as I will when Ratchet and Clank hits GH. Other than that, if Polyphony ever decides to release GranTurismo 5, I don't see anything else in my gaming future on the PS3. Frankly, none of these games really justified the purchase of the system and it was truly the biggest tech mistake I have ever made.

I play my Wii more than my PS3. That says something right there.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• The one and only

I need to get this, but I need more cash. I'm probably going to still play the Wii more than PS3, but the PS3 has some nice exclusives coming out too.
    Ducktales needs to come back strong! One of the greatest TV Series of all time.
    XBOX Live: Mr Shellshocker

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think this levels the field a good bit. It makes the blu-ray players no longer a albatrosse around Sony's neck, but instead makes it a value-add. You get something more for 'nothing' basically.

Too bad Sony waited way too long to do this. They should have done it long ago rather then waiting for the newer Cell chip (which is probably why they waited).

Their console sales should really surge now. Now if they ever figured out how to be better at online, they could wallop MS. But XBL is so worth it.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I will be buying one soon. Metl Gear, Little Big Planet, and a couple of good other games mean that Sony has finally put the system at the price I would pay.
    Also get ready for a xbox price drop in the next few weeks too.

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

its about time they lowered the prices. Now I can finally have the system I'll need to play FFXIII and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep when they eventually come out (because those two games were my only incentive for ever wanting the ps3 in the first place).

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

FFXIII exclusivity fell awhile ago, that one is coming out on the 360.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• 'splosions

KH: Birth by Sleep is only on the PSP too