• Minion

GTA:LCS reviews are in!

IGN has posted a 5 page review on Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories for the PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by ign
    Few games actually change the way you feel about a platform. They take the established standard and tear it to pieces. Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City (LCS) Stories is one such game. It takes the preconceptions about what a handheld can do and totally ignores them. It provides an experience so large, so complex that it's a wonder it actually runs at all. The GTA series has always reveled in sheer scope and complexity and thankfully, it's no different on the first GTA game on handhelds. And there are no hardcore sacrifices, either. LCS uses the same kind of intricate 3D engine that put the series (and the developer, Rockstar Games) on the map with GTA III.
    GTA is only the most recent in a consistent flow of great titles for the PSP. Nearly every game that has come out in the past month has been getting an average score of 8 or higher out of 10. With SOCOM, Infected, Star Wars Battlefront II, and Daxter... prepare to see a dramatic shift in the portable console wars...

• Minion

Re: GTA:LCS reviews are in!

So far, GTA:LCS has been getting 9.0 from every game site and game mag.

1up.com: 9.0
    Official Playstation Magazine: 4 1/2 out of 5
    Electronic Gaming Monthly: 9.5
    ign.com: 9.0

Some of the cooler features not really talked about in the reviews are Game Sharing, which allows you to upload information from someone who has the game and play, and the ability to have custom soundtracks! That means that while I'm cruising around Liberty City, I can listen to my favorite Disney podcasts!
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 10-24-2005 at 10:43 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Now only if the PSP was priced a bit lower.

I still love my DS!!!!

• Vehicle rotating backward

It sounds like they have a killer app, finally, even if most the art assets are just borrowed from GTA3.

Perhaps the PSP's native software will finally be more than Lumines? The system as it has been is so lame that if it wasn't for homebrew emulation I'd have sold mine long ago.

• Minion

The game takes place before GTA III so many places in the game look different. Bridges and tunnels haven't been built yet in keeping with the story, but it's important to consider what was done technically.

80-120 hours of gameplay, full free roaming 3-D enviornment, graphical improvements over GTA III, load times only after cutscenes, multiplayer, Game sharing, and custom soundtracks. Without a doubt this the deepest, most ambitious portable game ever. It not only marks a milestone in the PSP's library, but ALL portable gaming.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Without a doubt this the deepest, most ambitious portable game ever.
    Most ambitious I'll agree with but deepest? Game Boy Tetris has a word to say about that. I'm renting it and it's OK. Although it may be disappointing to some that the individual tasks aren't long adventures by themselves like some San Andreas ones are (where a mission to pick up a guy turns into a shootout turns into a warehouse crawler turns into air dogfight, etc) however I like it like that. It's all about being able to finish a mission and save in a reasonable amount of time.

I guess you could call it hit-and-run GTA. heh.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Most ambitious I'll agree with but deepest? Game Boy Tetris has a word to say about that. I'm renting it and it's OK. Although it may be disappointing to some that the individual tasks aren't long adventures by themselves like some San Andreas ones are (where a mission to pick up a guy turns into a shootout turns into a warehouse crawler turns into air dogfight, etc) however I like it like that. It's all about being able to finish a mission and save in a reasonable amount of time.

I guess you could call it hit-and-run GTA. heh.
    Ambitious is the key word. What other portable game crams an entire 3-D world, graphical improvements, music stations, low load times, 6 multiplayer modes, and over 80-120 hours of gameplay? Nothing. Never been done before. Tetris was anything but ambitious. It was simplistic. Simple gameplay in a puzzler is what makes it great. It's easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master.

As for the length of the missions, it's a portable game. You SHOULD be able to play for 10 min. and get a mission done. The consoles had 20 min. missions, but that's not the purpose of a portable game.

I wonder if we can expect downloadable missions...
    Last edited by Soulquarian; 10-31-2005 at 01:20 PM.

Ambitious is the key word. What other portable game crams an entire 3-D world, graphical improvements, music stations, low load times, 6 multiplayer modes, and over 80-120 hours of gameplay? Nothing. Never been done before. Tetris was anything but ambitious. It was simplistic. Simple gameplay in a puzzler is what makes it great. It's easy to pick up and play, but difficult to master.

As for the length of the missions, it's a portable game. You SHOULD be able to play for 10 min. and get a mission done. The consoles had 20 min. missions, but that's not the purpose of a portable game.

I wonder if we can expect downloadable missions...
    I wouldn't call it ambitious in the least really considering the hardware

ambitious is usualy when you streatch hardware to it's breaking points or come up with a never before seen concept or something this is pretty much just a translation of everything that's already been done on the console put on the PSP

that said I'd say it's deffinatly an impressive game and is good for the PSP and the translation into portable was very thoughtful and well put together witht he missions being more considerate and all

here's to hoping that when the PSP gets more fleshed out games the same considerations are made for all of them

I wouldn't say that we'll see a deffinate shift because of this but handheld wars will start to get interesting at least for a while from here on out with the DS recieving several key titles this Christmass as well

hopefully the competition will bring some reall benifits to us all as consumers

I played this on my friends PSP and I'd say I'm impressed though it doesn't appeal to me since I'm not a GTA fan, of course if they show some future RPG's and Megaman games they'll get my interest (yeah they've got some Megaman games but they're ports and I can't help but feel cheeted as of late with all of that, I'm already buying huge collections of Megaman as it is)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I wouldn't call it ambitious in the least really considering the hardware

ambitious is usualy when you streatch hardware to it's breaking points or come up with a never before seen concept or something this is pretty much just a translation of everything that's already been done on the console put on the PSP

that said I'd say it's deffinatly an impressive game and is good for the PSP and the translation into portable was very thoughtful and well put together witht he missions being more considerate and all

here's to hoping that when the PSP gets more fleshed out games the same considerations are made for all of them

I wouldn't say that we'll see a deffinate shift because of this but handheld wars will start to get interesting at least for a while from here on out with the DS recieving several key titles this Christmass as well

hopefully the competition will bring some reall benifits to us all as consumers

I played this on my friends PSP and I'd say I'm impressed though it doesn't appeal to me since I'm not a GTA fan, of course if they show some future RPG's and Megaman games they'll get my interest (yeah they've got some Megaman games but they're ports and I can't help but feel cheeted as of late with all of that, I'm already buying huge collections of Megaman as it is)
    This game has accomplished something that NO other handheld game has ever achieved. The fact that a handheld game looks BETTER than a similar game on a console of the same generation has never been seen before. From custom soundtracks, to the entire length of the game, it's surpassed everyone's expectations.

Even if you aren't a fan of the series, you still have to appreciate what it does from a technological stand point. The fact that the game only loads when switching between islands, entering buildings, and when getting into a car says a lot...

As for this being the beginning of a shift in the portable gaming market, well look at the numbers. In the past two months nearly every PSP game has recieved a 8.0 or higher. With Star Wars Battlefront, Tokobots, Final Fantasy and SOCOM right around the corner, the PSP will soon have the highest rating in every genre. Just this month, the DS had 11 games come out. Of those 11, 6 scored a 6 or lower, 3 of those 6 scored a 4 or lower. The PSP had 10 titles released this month with only two titles scoring a 6 or lower. Of those two, the lowest was a 6.2...

The DS has some potential hits coming towards the end of the year, but they all fall into the same categories that the DS has been putting out. Puzzlers and platformers. The big thing with the DS is online, something that PSP users have been enjoying for a while already. And with SOCOM supporting 16 player skirmishes and headset support? It's pretty plain to see where the climate is going to change.

And with the PSP still getting rave reviews from gadget magazines and websites, non-gamers are starting to jump on-board also. Cnet.com has already made its top ten list of must have gadgets. The PSP beat even the ipod video and nano. Couple that with recent info of a winter price drop, and new bundles (one of which includes a 1gig memory stick, saves over $100), you can bet that the PSP will have a sales boost not only from the game community, but the multimedia community as well.

Competition is always great for the consumer, but with the PSP starting to gain momentum with the different genres of games, the DS is looking more and more like its N64 and Gamecube older brothers... good for certain games and crappy for the rest.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

The games (Sims 2, SOCOM, LCS, and others) have convinced me to buy a PSP, and hell, I don't even like Sony.

I am waiting for the Price Drop, and then I'll get the bundle with the 1GB card.
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    The games (Sims 2, SOCOM, LCS, and others) have convinced me to buy a PSP, and hell, I don't even like Sony.

I am waiting for the Price Drop, and then I'll get the bundle with the 1GB card.
    If the Japan numbers transfer to America, the PSP will go from $250 to $219. The new "Giga" bundle that includes a PSP hands free viewing station, a USB cable, and a one gig will retail for $299.99. That's a savings of almost $120.

This game has accomplished something that NO other handheld game has ever achieved. The fact that a handheld game looks BETTER than a similar game on a console of the same generation has never been seen before. From custom soundtracks, to the entire length of the game, it's surpassed everyone's expectations.

Even if you aren't a fan of the series, you still have to appreciate what it does from a technological stand point. The fact that the game only loads when switching between islands, entering buildings, and when getting into a car says a lot...

As for this being the beginning of a shift in the portable gaming market, well look at the numbers. In the past two months nearly every PSP game has recieved a 8.0 or higher. With Star Wars Battlefront, Tokobots, Final Fantasy and SOCOM right around the corner, the PSP will soon have the highest rating in every genre. Just this month, the DS had 11 games come out. Of those 11, 6 scored a 6 or lower, 3 of those 6 scored a 4 or lower. The PSP had 10 titles released this month with only two titles scoring a 6 or lower. Of those two, the lowest was a 6.2...

The DS has some potential hits coming towards the end of the year, but they all fall into the same categories that the DS has been putting out. Puzzlers and platformers. The big thing with the DS is online, something that PSP users have been enjoying for a while already. And with SOCOM supporting 16 player skirmishes and headset support? It's pretty plain to see where the climate is going to change.

And with the PSP still getting rave reviews from gadget magazines and websites, non-gamers are starting to jump on-board also. Cnet.com has already made its top ten list of must have gadgets. The PSP beat even the ipod video and nano. Couple that with recent info of a winter price drop, and new bundles (one of which includes a 1gig memory stick, saves over $100), you can bet that the PSP will have a sales boost not only from the game community, but the multimedia community as well.

Competition is always great for the consumer, but with the PSP starting to gain momentum with the different genres of games, the DS is looking more and more like its N64 and Gamecube older brothers... good for certain games and crappy for the rest.
    that's true when applied to handhelds I suppose but that's what the PSP is designed to do, I still feel it as a system has sacrificed much in the relm of portability in order for it to be as such

of course my demands for a handheld can be a bit extreme with battery life and durablity, three round trips to Cali in a RV and most of my tech takes a ton of abuse

I'm still considering a PSP though once I have the money but next gen consoles always come first

as far as PSP games go I'm curious as to what the FF game is, isn't it another FF7 spinoff? it'll be interesting to see the reviews on it when it finaly arrives (I really want to see FFXII square seems a bit overwhelmed as of late I suppose I'm a bit of a Chrono fanboy when I ask "were's Chrono?") DS will have a few FF's it's able to play along with Children of Mana

Star Wars and Socom are good though (Socom's not my thing but Star Wars is)

DS has some good reviewed games coming in (Sonic actualy suprised me in it's impressions as of late considering how much Sonic has stunk in recent years) Sonic, Viewtiful Joe, Mario and Luigi, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc

I'd say both are gearing up really and I'd suspect that both have good titles waiting in the future (the illy described Devil May Cry PSP game and of course a new Mario Brothers sidescroller and Resident Evil DS)

it's a war of titles and branding I suppose

the GC and N64 are interesting comparisons, N64 had the weekness of being the most difficult to program for that's not a weakeness the DS shares infact it's one of the PSP's with it requireing larger development teams

interestingly Playstation has been my system of choice when it was Playstation vs N64 mostly because it had the most

Nintendo deffinatly has it's areas it excels in

of course the GC had differen't problems with no online play and it basicaly being the middle child (it didn't have the library of the PS2 and it's graphics were slightly less then the Xbox placing it in the middle) I actualy bought a GC and was happy with it for about a year or so, now it's just Zelda I'm looking at which is kind of dissapointing

it's probably why I'm really looking at a PS3 since it will give me a chance to play some old games I missed and new games, I might get it and a revolution this time since it makes more since to me then carrying two handhelds everywere

moving back to GTA it was deffinatly impressive seeing it run on the handheld and I really do enjoy the PSP's screen I like everything that is shiny