• Rides against injustice

"The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" annoucned for 2011

I was really hoping this game would come out for the holiday season, but really when was the last time a Zelda game made its original release date?
    IGN Video: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Nintendo Wii Trailer - E3 2010: Teaser Trailer

IGN Video: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Nintendo Wii Trailer - E3 2010: Gameplay Trailer
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Kawasaki Kreep

Re: "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword" annoucned for 2011

I watched the announcement this morning. I've been a rabid Zelda fan since the original way back in 86 so I've been following all the rumors about this one and anxiously awaiting this day!

My thought's below.

First the bad.

Will they PLEASE just friggen drop the artsy color schemes. I don't want it to look like an "impressionist" painting, I go to museums for that. I want it to look gritty and dark, Hyrule's in danger after all! As for the controls, even though they are a fresh new way to play the game I have a feeling that the learning curve is going to be tough. Heck Miyamoto was having a hard time using the interface despite the glitches experienced, AND HE'S MAKING THE GAME!

The good.

I really liked the new items like the whip and the ability to roll bombs and such. That bug thing looks killer too! The auto charge on the sword also rocks!

All in all I'm super happy that we finally have some solid info on this title. I'm not as blown away as I'd hoped but heck the games not done yet and hopefully the controls will be ironed out a bit more by launch time. The colors and such may have also just been the demo level that was shown to us. The actual game areas are probably going to be better themed. Also the fact that the Wii's lacking hardware is really starting to show it's age doesn't help in the graphics department either. I've been spoiled by games like Far Cry 2 and Mass effect2 lately so it's hard to watch something that's not in 1080p. Hopefully someone here is actually attending E3 and can get some hands on time with it.

I think I'll go pre-order my copy now.

EDIT: I predict we will be playing this game no sooner than Christmas 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Jenny1987 View Post
    Oh dear sweet zombie jesus on a stick no.

First the bad.

Will they PLEASE just friggen drop the artsy color schemes. I don't want it to look like an "impressionist" painting, I go to museums for that. I want it to look gritty and dark, Hyrule's in danger after all!
    I have to agree. I'm not sold yet on the art design they used for this game. Although at least they didnt revert back to the "young" Link. I'll give it a chance just like I did "Wind Waker".
    Poor Miyamoto! I'm sure he was embarassed to see the glitches during his demo of the game. I like how he re-assured everyone it would work fine on the game floor.
    I agree with your prediction about Holiday 2011. I'm sure whenever we get it, it will be worth the wait
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post
    I have to agree. I'm not sold yet on the art design they used for this game. Although at least they didnt revert back to the "young" Link. I'll give it a chance just like I did "Wind Waker".
    Poor Miyamoto! I'm sure he was embarassed to see the glitches during his demo of the game. I like how he re-assured everyone it would work fine on the game floor.
    I agree with your prediction about Holiday 2011. I'm sure whenever we get it, it will be worth the wait

Did you notice that the audience didn't explode like they did when Twighlight Princess was announced? Donkey Kong got more cheers (Looks awesome BTW). It was like the everybody was going "WTF!!!!???!?!? An old link windwaker............something!?!?.......huh??

I liked Wind Waker as a game quite a bit, the story was cool and the idea of sailing on a vast ocean was a neat idea. The art was actually pretty sweet too BUT not for a Zelda game. I really hope they dirty things up a bit.

Did you notice that the audience didn't explode like they did when Twighlight Princess was announced? Donkey Kong got more cheers (Looks awesome BTW). It was like the everybody was going "WTF!!!!???!?!? An old link windwaker............something!?!?.......huh??
    haha..yeah the reaction was very muted. I did do a fist pump in the air though like "yeah!" (a quiet one i was watching it here at work..lol) I was more disappointed with it being pushed back than the art style. Like i said, I'll give it a chance. "Wind Wakers" graphics grew on me the more I played it. As long as it remains a Zelda game at its core, then I'll be happy. Cant wait to see what other goodies will be in store. (Horse riding? Other mode of transportation?) I guess we'll have to wait til E3 2011 for the full reveal! ARGH!!

And yes DKC looked amazing!! I gotta say the new Kirby game looked pretty cool too.
    Out of the NIGHT....

• Kawasaki Kreep

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro825 View Post

And yes DKC looked amazing!! I gotta say the new Kirby game looked pretty cool too.
    Oh yeah Kirby Epic Yarn looks great!

I actually think they made the right choice with graphical approach this time. Twilight Princess tended to not look as good on a larger television. I'd also point out even Twilight was actually fairly stylized and not exactly "gritty".

I think the painting type look will stretch out better on a larger television similar to how I don't mind looking at Mario Galaxy on a larger TV because it's cartoony/shiny and has alot going on.

I kinda figure the other issue with the trailer/demo is it's not really presenting an epic story or adventure the way the Twilight Princess Trailer did. Instead we're getting alot of basic information in how their control scheme will work and being asked to have faith that the Wii motion Plus will truely add to the experience.

Despite the technical difficulties I AM liking what I'm seeing for the controls. If it works it could make this a very fun Zelda to play and be a game that actually makes constructive use of the Wiimote. It seems like ages since I've seen much that really pushes the Wiimote from Nintendo so it's nice to see they haven't given up on applying the thing to more hardcore games.

Hopefully Zelda can lead the way to more carefully constructed adventure games on the system as a whole (though that's probably too much to hope for)

overall Nintendo surprised me this expo by having a ton of new content for their system right when I'd gotten used to them delivering only the minimal amount possible.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post

Will they PLEASE just friggen drop the artsy color schemes. I don't want it to look like an "impressionist" painting, I go to museums for that. I want it to look gritty and dark, Hyrule's in danger after all! .
    But the story isn't taking place in Hyrule - according to an article in my most recent issue of Nintendo Power, its taking place in a land called Skyloft where the Skyward Sword incarnation of Link resides.

I personally don't mind the art style they've gone with for this game - its something different than what we've seen before with any of the other Zelda titles and it will be unique to Skyward Sword. I was skeptical about Windwaker when I first saw it, being a huge fan of OoT, but Windwaker itself wasn't even supposed to be a sequel/continuation of OoT and I eventually grew to enjoy the game quite a lot and its cel-shading artsyle that broke away from the norm for the franchise (I love the soundtrack for it too). Twilight Princess was awesome in that it created a much more realistic and battle-hardened Link in a darker atmosphere, and I'm sure that the art style will be working in this game's favor in a similar manner to the two I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    I watched the announcement this morning. I've been a rabid Zelda fan since the original way back in 86 so I've been following all the rumors about this one and anxiously awaiting this day!

My thought's below.

First the bad.

Will they PLEASE just friggen drop the artsy color schemes. I don't want it to look like an "impressionist" painting, I go to museums for that. I want it to look gritty and dark, Hyrule's in danger after all! As for the controls, even though they are a fresh new way to play the game I have a feeling that the learning curve is going to be tough. Heck Miyamoto was having a hard time using the interface despite the glitches experienced, AND HE'S MAKING THE GAME!

The good.

I really liked the new items like the whip and the ability to roll bombs and such. That bug thing looks killer too! The auto charge on the sword also rocks!

All in all I'm super happy that we finally have some solid info on this title. I'm not as blown away as I'd hoped but heck the games not done yet and hopefully the controls will be ironed out a bit more by launch time. The colors and such may have also just been the demo level that was shown to us. The actual game areas are probably going to be better themed. Also the fact that the Wii's lacking hardware is really starting to show it's age doesn't help in the graphics department either. I've been spoiled by games like Far Cry 2 and Mass effect2 lately so it's hard to watch something that's not in 1080p. Hopefully someone here is actually attending E3 and can get some hands on time with it.

I think I'll go pre-order my copy now.

EDIT: I predict we will be playing this game no sooner than Christmas 2011.

Thanks you for the post.