Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm your huckleberry.

Nintendo DS & Nintendogs... reviews please!

I'm relying on you techies to help me out here. I'm considering buying a Nintendo DS system and Nintendogs for my daughter, and wanted to get your opinions on the system and the game. Please keep in mind we're talking about a 9 year old girl here. I understand that some think Nintendogs is kind of boring, but I'm pretty sure its something my daughter would LOVE (she still plays with my old Tamagotchi).

What are the pros and cons of the system in general? If you don't recommend the DS, what would you suggest? She's played with a friends PSP, and wasn't that thrilled (they didn't have games she liked).

What about Nintendogs? Is it as cute and cuddly as it looks?

I'm totally in the dark with this stuff since I don't play any video games nor online games. My usual source for tech advice is away for the weekend, and I want to buy this for Xmas now.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Huh?

Re: Nintendo DS & Nintendogs... reviews please!

From what I understand, it's not quite so boring if you actually take full advantage of all the features of the game...

My aunt is getting it and a DS for my cousin for her b-day this year. She's not too much older than your daughter and from what she's played of the game, she really loves it.

Most reviews are VERY positive for the game. Especially from those that wouldn't dare touch that kind of game.
    -Tim

• Minion

It's arguably the best game on the DS. Toys R Us is selling a DS Nintendogs bundle that's pink and teal I believe. You can only get it there though.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    It's arguably the best game on the DS. Toys R Us is selling a DS Nintendogs bundle that's pink and teal I believe. You can only get it there though.

Oohhhh, she'd love the teal one!!!

Soulq, you're quite the gaming buff, right? What are your opinions on the system itself?

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Minion

It's perfect for a 9 year old gamer. Durable, lots of interesting and fun titles. Plays all the older Gameboy games. All around winner there for your daughter.

For the older gamer I'd recommend the PSP, but I can't deny the fun of many of the DS's titles. Highly Recommended.

Here's a pic of the pink DS.

And the Teal...

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Plays all the older Gameboy games.
    Just want to correct this... it does not play the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games. Only DS and GBA games. For anything older than the GBA, keep your Gameboy/Gameboy Color/GBA/GBA SP around.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Just want to correct this... it does not play the original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games. Only DS and GBA games. For anything older than the GBA, keep your Gameboy/Gameboy Color/GBA/GBA SP around.
    Ah ha! That's right! Sorry about that.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Well it definitely sounds like you guys think its a great system. After looking at the game selections, I think they'd be perfect for Bailey. She's just getting into gaming a lot (lives on VMK and her PS2). She's gotten pretty good, even beat True Crime Streets of LA in a couple of days!

I'm thinking she'll be happy with the DS.

• Circle of Ancients

Hey, I'm an old-school gamer and I LOVE the DS.

WarioWare rocks!!!

Nintendogs seems popular for girls especialy

I can't take much interest in it but for some reason my g/f loves unlocking all the little items and animals

there's lots of hats and collars and other things to collect and buy and the competitions are pretty challenging if it's your type of thing

• Circle of Ancients

We rented Nintendogs and our daughter absolutely LOVES it.

Although ... it appeared that there was already a game saved on it. We bought our DS used so it may have been in the memory card. I'm not sure if DS games save on the cartridge or on the actual DS. Anyone?

Anyway ... I have tried and tried and tried and tried to erase the game that's there now ... to no avail.

That being said it's a fun game. You can talk into the DS and give the dogs command (Sit, Lie down, play dead, shake, roll over, etc). The game will recognize your voice.

Of course this only works if one person is playing the game. It would not, for example, recognize my son's voice. It seems with more than one child we would have to get another DS and 2 Nintendogs to appease both.

Not sure if we are ready for that yet. Maybe early '06 but most likely not for Christmas.

• Waiting for the stork

my daughter got a DS and Nintendogs for her birthday last month (she turned 11) she plays with it constantly!!!! she LOVES it! she just got a new game today (MarioKart, I think?) and she can (or when we figure out how) will be able to play on-line I guess.

you can also play with other people in the vicinity (65 feet). and send text messages to one another...it's very cool. with nintendogs seperate players can "meet" up at a park or something and play with each others dogs.

This really is a cool toy,

(another great part...the games are only around $30 each give or take)

She truely loves it
    procrastibating

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Although ... it appeared that there was already a game saved on it. We bought our DS used so it may have been in the memory card. I'm not sure if DS games save on the cartridge or on the actual DS. Anyone?
    The DS saves to the card. Only downloaded software (all temporary) is saved to a DS.
    -Tim

• keep moving forward...

does she own an actual dog... if so then the game is pretty useless unless she wants the puppy expierience all over again

• Lights on Nobody Home

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88
    does she own an actual dog... if so then the game is pretty useless unless she wants the puppy expierience all over again
    DS has a dog and has a DS and loves Nintendogs. He has 3 other games but it is his favorite right now still. I think he has a full hotel of dogs. He says you can get rid of dogs you don't need but then you can't get them back. If you put them in the hotel you can pick them up again. DS is 8. There are finally some games coming for the DS that I think he will like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast