Epic Mickey- a history of Disney

I've got to say guys, it's amazing how much you've found regarding this game and how much you keen eyed lot have managed to notice. I think what I have to share with you might help further.

See, I've been a huge disney fan and a huge follower of Epic Mickey from the concept art onwards. I've been making a documentary that so far lasts 7 parts- here's a link to the first.

YouTube - Epic Mickey- A history of Disney (part 1)

Basically I'm just moving onto the fifties, and soon I'll be moving onto disneyland. So I decided to post this here to for two reasons-

1. I want to reach more Disney fans. I figured going to the sources is the best way to do this, and I consider this to be one of those major sources. I've had a lot of posistive feedback (and a heck of a lot of new subscribers in such a short space of time) so I figured you guys might wanna see this too.

2. I'm a disney fan and I'm trying to give something to casual fan (again, I've had good responses from a lot of people who didn't even know half of the history before this documentary) and I guess it would be nice if others wanted to help out. I'm more than willing to accept critisisms of what I show and offers, because I'm not going to be able to remember and fit in every detail by myself.

So...yeah. I hope you guys enjoy it and...umm...hi, this be my first post here! And I definitely don't want it to be my last, either!

Re: Epic Mickey- a history of Disney

What a lot of work! Thanks for doing that. I'm not sure I'd qualify as a "casual fan" anymore, thanks mostly to the MiceChat community, but I certainly learned a thing or several from your insightful films.

I do have something in the way of critique, though. In future editing, the Dumbo/Bambi segment in Part 6 came across to me as so extremely heavy-handed that I was almost offended and stopped watching. In fact, if I'd seen this segment before I saw the earlier parts, I would never have been interested. But I really enjoyed your voice and perspective, so I kept an open mind and tried to just hear you out. Up to that point, I was loving the ride, following along with your take on history. But that part just ceases to be a documentary and is a no-holds-barred reaming of Bambi, which I don't think is really necessary to make your point and I genuinely feel hurts your credibility, which hurts the project. Starting here and continuing in Part 7 when talking about Walt's "nature," there seems to be less professional restraint and directorial crafting, and the focus on connecting the history with Epic Mickey also seems to become muddier. I loved the beginning, and the points in these sections are not useless, but some fresh objectivity in the editing room would do wonders for these last two, I think. I hope you read this as helpful, as that's how it's intended. I really like your work. I want you to know that I was paying attention, interested and invested.

I hope you're right about Epic Mickey being a "turning point." Honestly, and I'm sure this has been said plenty, I think the whole "stealing hearts/inky black enemies in various forms and sizes" is a little too Kingdom Hearts; if they really were looking for a paradigm shift, I'd expect that shift to be about originality. And, I mean, Tangled is making it all the way to the theaters with that title... So, I'm not holding my breath or anything, but I do hope people who love the legacy and have real vision about the future of the company - people who are ready to take risks - I hope this is them moving forward. There does, at the very least, seem to be a renaissance of classic characters happening (as has long been the case in Japan, in its way). That's a good thing. But then, speaking of risk, there's this from Wikipedia:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Concept art for the game by Fred Gambino and Gary Glover depicted a "surrealistically bizarre" look at Disney characters and locations in a steampunk environment (this art has been categorized as very preliminary concept art and it is not the style of the final game)...

Warren Spector has stated that Epic Mickey was planned as a trilogy...

An early idea for the game was for Mickey to adopt an angrier look when he was played in the "scrapper" manner; this idea was dropped after Spector decided it changed Mickey too much from people's perceptions of the character. Mickey will look more smudged instead...
    Already two sequels are planned. Hopefully for the story, but I can't help seeing . The "bizarrely surreal" character designs and "scrapper" Mickey were two of the things I was really looking forward to as evidence of Disney management releasing artists from shackles and freeing itself to be more than a brand - to have the brand be a symbol of great work, rather than releasing films primarily as propaganda for the brand. These changes feel like changing Rapunzel's story into a teen comedy. But I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Just have to add, I learned more about Warren Spector from your videos, and I like all of it if it's as sincere as it seems. He really seems to "get it." His take on Oswald/Mickey as brothers and intention to create the game as a metaphoric metanarrative is ambitious and exciting. I'm really wishing I had a Wii now...

Oh well. I downloaded the iPhone app!^^
    Last edited by DuffyDaisuki; 11-28-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks so much for your response- you know, I'm amazed at the response that I received in the end as i figured the whole thing might just come off as someone trying to cash in on the epic mickey craze, but...I really do love Disney. The more research I did, the more I realised how much steam I had to let off about the company, and how much I loved what they did. I also realised no-one else was really offering the whole story, there are other disney history videos out there but they were very much 'this happened, then this, then this' and didn't really offer much insight. They were helpful, but it spurred me on to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by DuffyDaisuki View Post
    I do have something in the way of critique, though. In future editing, the Dumbo/Bambi segment in Part 6 came across to me as so extremely heavy-handed that I was almost offended and stopped watching. In fact, if I'd seen this segment before I saw the earlier parts, I would never have been interested. But I really enjoyed your voice and perspective, so I kept an open mind and tried to just hear you out. Up to that point, I was loving the ride, following along with your take on history. But that part just ceases to be a documentary and is a no-holds-barred reaming of Bambi, which I don't think is really necessary to make your point and I genuinely feel hurts your credibility, which hurts the project. Starting here and continuing in Part 7 when talking about Walt's "nature," there seems to be less professional restraint and directorial crafting, and the focus on connecting the history with Epic Mickey also seems to become muddier. I loved the beginning, and the points in these sections are not useless, but some fresh objectivity in the editing room would do wonders for these last two, I think. I hope you read this as helpful, as that's how it's intended. I really like your work. I want you to know that I was paying attention, interested and invested.
    I knew this would be the clincher. There's actually a little story behind this- I've never been a fan of Bambi and I'd seen Dumbo when I was but a babe, so I couldn't remember much of it. I figured I had to sit through both again and the critics responses as well and see what I thought. I'm more than aware of the fame Bambi has received for it's animation- in a way that's what I hate about it and why I think it's relevant to the argument. Bambi plays a big part in why Disney gets a bad rep from certain individuals. The Animaniacs saw it as an easy target and made Bumbis mom, which is a hilarious episode. Disney was making up for something and it shows so heavily. Obviously though, I knew people would disagree but had to ask myself- who would I be to lie to people about something I didn't believe in, particularly if that's, after all, why Epic Mickey is so revolutionary? I reamed it, yes, but kept a pretty open mind when going back to watch it, and it still comes across the same, even moreso thanks to research. Same goes for the next part, it's deliberately less professional because otherwise I wouldn't get my point across. It really is about remembering walt for what he was, not this flawless image people have. It upsets me when people defend him as a saint because it actually does more damage than good- to artistic integrity as well as the man. I accept your critisism and, yeah, I really could've done with some better edits around that point, but I feel this is where Epic Mickey holds everything down and says 'we made mistakes. We lost people. We did terrible things- we let the blot into wasteland.' It's a powerful metaphor for the history itself. As for Dumbo...I really did love it when I saw it again, so much more than Bambi that I felt a little outraged, and into the video it went.

However, I do appreciate that you enjoyed it, I hope I answered as best I could. I love that this helped you see your status as a Disney fan...to be honest it did much of the same for me, going through the past in it's entirety.
    Last edited by Mr Mask; 11-29-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Hey, when are you going to post more videos?

I see you like Oswald. I like (love) Oswald as well. lol.

I personally love this documentary! I managed to catch my eye right when I was about to get off the computer. Thanks!