Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Oswald and Mickey About To Be EPIC Again

I had the opportunity to speak with Warren Spector today, designer of the upcoming game Epic Mickey. It was an enlightening discussion which left me antsy to pick up the Wiimote and explore this exciting new Disney universe.

Epic Mickey is a highly anticipated game built for Nintendo Wii which will be released on November 30th in the US (earlier in the UK and Europe).

Here's what Disney theme park fans will want to know. Epic Mickey takes place in a world called Wasteland. It is a land built and destroyed with ink and paint thinner and populated with forgotten and neglected characters and icons from Disney's history. The master of Wasteland is Yensid the wizard from Fantasia (also Disney spelled backwards). Why Yensid? Well, he's sort of Walt Disney's alter ego. Walt never threw anything away, keeping old sketches, concept art, and ideas. He would have loved seeing his forgotten characters come back to life.

And just what sort of characters can we expect to find? Some that you might have a vague memory of such as Oswald and some that you may never have heard of like the gremlins from an abandoned Walt Disney and Roald Dahl concept (the characters of which now roam the world of Epic Mickey). Most of the visuals predate 1967, a period which saw the last of Walt's projects come to life.

To play Epic Mickey is to take a sort of Disney history lesson. Players move from scene to scene by jumping through old Mickey Mouse and Oswald cartoons. Fans will feel very much enveloped in the world of Walt, Mickey, and even Oswald (Walt's long lost character who predates Mickey Mouse). Many of the backgrounds were plucked from actual Disney artwork, former attractions such as Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and the Nautilus make an appearance, even the trashcans are direct from Disneyland's Main Street. It is a rich tapestry of Disneyana to be sure and fans will delight in finding the references throughout the game.

Epic Mickey seeks to be approachable to all demographics - kids, adults and even gamers; by fine tuning the game for the Nintendo Wii, they hope to appeal to the broader demographic of the platform. That's an ambitious goal, but one which Warren was inspired to pick up from the likes of Pixar, who make movies for everyone and don't pander to the lowest common denominator.

There is also the ultimate tribute to YOU, the Disney fan, in this game. If you search closely, there is a way for you to enter Walt's Apartment above Main Street's Firehouse. After all, this is a game built by a Disney geek for a Disney geek.

On a personal note, I've never been as anxious to play a game as I am this one. Thankfully, it comes out just in time for Christmas. Funny how those things just sort of work out.

Three cheers for Warren Spector and the Epic Mickey team, we wish you lots of success and hope that you'll be able to continue your adventures in Wasteland!

-Dusty
    Last edited by Dustysage; 11-23-2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Oswald and Mickey About To Be EPIC Again

Wow...thanks, Dusty! I was aware the game was coming out, but didn't know it would really be something I'm anxious to get. (and I'm not a gamer)
    It was nice of them to plan a release date only 2 days after my birthday

• Future Indy Castmember

No doubt that this game has a lot of promise. It's going to be EPIC! Got the collectors edition reserved. Can't wait for next Tuesday!

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Yes, I have been wondering whether or not I would be coordinated enough to play this game. From everything I have read, I should put this on my Christmas list.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'm glad my kids will be getting this for Christmas. I hope I let them play it

• Who are you again?

Just one week until the US gets it

I have to be the most hyped up person on this island for this game
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

I've been excited for this since the steampunk concept art!

Can't believe it comes out in 1 week!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Already have it preordered with my Gamestop gift card. I can't wait! It's one of the reasons I bought a Wii!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Can't Wait! I've been celebrating it by drawing up a bunch of my own concept art for my idea of what should be in the game! Can't wait!

• happiest bride on earth

I've been waiting for this game to come out since I first heard about it a few months ago! It's already on my Christmas list.... the collector's edition looks really awesome.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy."

"There is really no secret about our approach. We keep moving forward - opening up new doors and doing new things - because we're curious. And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. We're always exploring and experimenting. We call it 'Imagineering' - the blending of creative imagination with technical know-how."

-Walt Disney

• "The Musical Quil"

I've got my copy!
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

Hey everyone, I'm working with Disney Interactive Studios on Disney Epic Mickey, and I have some exciting news for those who want to hear more from Warren Spector! Today at Noon PST, Warren Spector will spend an hour live on the Disney Epic Mickey Facebook page. Tune in to have him respond to as many of your questions as possible!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving weekend

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DEMirene View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm working with Disney Interactive Studios on Disney Epic Mickey, and I have some exciting news for those who want to hear more from Warren Spector! Today at Noon PST, Warren Spector will spend an hour live on the Disney Epic Mickey Facebook page. Tune in to have him respond to as many of your questions as possible!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving weekend
    Thank you Irene!

For those of you interested in the game, you might want to check out the Epic Mickey Facebook page, Warren is an amazing guy.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Aww, I missed it! My once in a lifetime oppurtunity, eh?

Getting the game on Friday is going to be amazing- I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks too!

• X-S TECH Demonstrator

Man I missed it! To busy making my stupid stop motions. Only a few more days!

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheking View Post
    CaptainEO,ATIS: Have you ever heard that rumor that Elvis is alive, and well, and owns a bakery in Seattle? Yeah, that's total crap. Now if you where to tell me Michael Jackson was alive, and well, and owns a MiceChat account in Las Vegas, that I would believe!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)