• Banned User

Activision Cancelling Guitar Hero Franchise

Oh well

Activision has announced it will be scrapping the Guitar Hero franchise later this year, saying it was no longer possible to produce the games at a profit.

The company will continue selling previously-released games, including DJ Hero, along with downloadable content. However, there’ll be no new material after this month.

According to the company, “we have seen rapid declines in the music genre, and unfortunately, based on current demand, we simply cannot continue to profitably make these games given the considerable licensing and manufacturing costs.”

That appears to suggest that most bands and publishing companies were getting large flat fees rather than working on a purely royalty basis, and aren’t prepared to change that set-up. Activision once claimed that Aerosmith made more money from their dedicated Guitar Hero game than from any single album.

The changes, which follow a $233 million loss in the last three months of 2010, will mean the closure of an entire Activision division with the loss of 500 jobs.

Debate is already underway about what caused the decline in sales and in turn this cancellation. The most popular theory is simply that the concept had run its course: it wasn’t easy to come up with new changes to the fundamentals of the game without making it too complicated for the casual audience, but when it came to new song content, the sure-fire hits had been exhausted.

As well as the music games, the company also says it has abandoned work on True Crime: Hong Kong, which would have been a sequel to the PS2-era Los Angeles and New York games. In a remarkably frank comment, Activision chief Eric Hirshberg is quoted as saying that “to be blunt, it just wasn’t going to be good enough.”

It’s been reported that the game was still in development but had reached a point where it was playable from start to finish. Given how much has already been spent on the game, the fact that Activision considers it better to ditch rather than release it and risk a flop tells you something about how much of the costs of a game must lie in launch and publicity.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Activision Cancelling Guitar Hero Franchise

Rock Band blows it away plain and simple. It was cancelled because they were always one step behind a better game.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Agreed

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Not only that, there was just too much game to keep up with. Give people breathing room before releasing the next one. When everyone is playing a different version of the game, it's not as fun anymore. They over-saturated the market.

And personally, I love the graphics of Rock Band but preferred the difficulty and songs of Guitar Hero.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Over saturation is a good summary. While Guitar hero was putting out AC/DC live and Van Halen bonus packs, Rock band was improving their game, adding pro drums and keyboards.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I always hate hearing people losing there jobs butttt this series was just over used and did not give us the music Rock Band did...don't get why they cant just make more DLC for the games or maybe a downloadable game of guitar hero this year.....would they really lose money on small projects?

• (Not a) New User

Yeah, I'm kinda sad to see it go, but Rock Band is a million times better IMO, and GH, like said, released like 10 games in 5 years, plus Band Hero and the 2 DJ Hero games. I think it's stupid that they're focusing on CoD mainly now. I played through some of CoD 4 and I didn't really like it much. I think Activision should try some new genre's like RPG's or something too.

My Twitter! CardfightrHuntr

• Circle of Ancients

^ Regarding COD, they are ruining that franchise as well ... the last couple haven't been (IMO) very good and WAY too short. I still think World at War is the best COD game.

• mountains beyond mtns.

I always liked the feel of GH better better than Rock Band. I'll miss the franchise.

In the meantime, I can continue to work on improving the Knights of Cydonia expert score. My lifelong dream is to be able to 100% that song!

• Forgotten Spirit

Rock Band > Guitar Hero

Still sad about whoever lost their jobs though :[

• Keeping Disney Solvent

GH drum kit layout is superior to that of RB.

Lukily for those of us on the Wii, GH and RB equipment is interchangable (except drums don't work from RB on GH 'cuz of the missing oranage "Ride"). Is this true for other platforms?

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

GH and RB instruments are interchangeable between games completely on 360 or PS3
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Koubu Pilot

Guitar Hero only filled a void Konami and Bemani failed to fill as Guitarfreax was never ported to America, which predates Guitar Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Over saturation is a good summary. While Guitar hero was putting out AC/DC live and Van Halen bonus packs, Rock band was improving their game, adding pro drums and keyboards.
    AC/DC live was a Rock Band track pack

Here's hoping those tracks exclusive to GH now have a chance to show up in Rock Band.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriumTrigger View Post
    AC/DC live was a Rock Band track pack

Here's hoping those tracks exclusive to GH now have a chance to show up in Rock Band.
    Whoops! I remember the AC/DC being crap because I know the tracks but they have different singing styles than the studio recordings. Plus a 7 minute jam session in the middle really sucked when you were singing.