• Circle of Ancients

Wii 2 on the way?

Wii 2 on the Way: Nintendo is Growing Up - PCWorld

Almost five years after the Nintendo Wii launched, broke sales records, and revolutionized gaming with the introduction of motion-sensitive controllers, the console is slated to get a successor by E3 in June 2011.

Game Informer has "confirmed with multiple sources" that the Wii 2 (I'm hoping it'll be called the Nintendo Revolution; the Wii's pre-release code name) will be capable of HD gaming. Game Informer wasn't certain whether or not the Wii 2 will be powerful enough to compete with rival powerhouses the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but IGN's sources say it'll be capable of 1080p resolutions, be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360," and is Nintendo's attempt to "recapture the hardcore market." By that I presume they mean 1996, with the Nintendo 64.

Either way, a more graphics-capable Wii 2 will improve Nintendo's relationships with developers who are understandably tired of creating games that might as well be on the GameCube.

More important than the machine's guts is the controller. The PS3 produced a Wii controller knockoff called the PlayStation Move, but it's Microsoft's Kinect that's the one to beat. The Xbox 360's Kinect takes motion-controlled gaming to the next level by sensing a player's entire body and has become the fastest-selling consumer electronics device ever, besting even the iPhone and iPad. With the multitude of hacks performed on the Kinect, the device just keeps getting better.

CVG spoke to its "industry sources" who have indicated that the newest Wii controller is a Wii Remote with a built-in HD screen, which IGN states will have touch capability. It'd be neat to somehow incorporate the new Nintendo 3DS into the Wii 2 console, kind of like how Apple iOS devices all talk to each other.

Though several sources claim that Nintendo will officially unveil the Wii 2 at E3 this summer, IGN says the company may even make an announcement later this month, so stay tuned.
    Sounds awesome. Can't wait to have an HD Wii.

• Seasick

Re: Wii 2 on the way?

Interesting rumours.

I've never regretted buying a Nintendo system, even the Gamecube which was not particularly revolutionary, and I have no doubt this system will be no exception.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Circle of Ancients

We LOVE our gamecube and still use it even though we can play the games on the Wii.

I will say, hopefully the Wii2 will have a better spot for the gamecube games or perhaps a way to use the wireless Wii Remotes with controller to play them instead of the GC controller.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I...may get this.....I dont care about good hardware if NO good games will come out on the system/ The 3DS is saved by the fact that people want to pay N64 games on the go..but a new Wii HD wont be my type of system unless they bring out some good games and some online features/games.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I...may get this.....I dont care about good hardware if NO good games will come out on the system/ The 3DS is saved by the fact that people want to pay N64 games on the go..but a new Wii HD wont be my type of system unless they bring out some good games and some online features/games.
    From the article they are saying it could be more powerful than the PS3/360 (which I don't see), but if so it probably means they can get some good 3rd party games and not pared down versions like the Wii currently gets.

Plus you know with a new Nintendo system comes a new Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, etc.

• Pilot EdForceOne

HD is a given - HD-only selling TVs have been around long enough now so it's not such a limiting factor.

Nintendo's real gap if they want anything but the kids and casual games is their lack of online and social gaming. Nintendo has virtually nothing here and early attempts have been pathetic. (separate friend codes per game?? come on)

Sony's service has grown up a bit.. but XBL is still king. I think Nintendo still has the strongest brand loyalty in the market but it will be interesting to see what path they took.

Earlier.. evolutions were simply 'more power, better graphics'. XBL tried to take a different spin with Microsoft's competencies.. and altered the market but did not run away with it. Wii totally ignored the 'bigger, faster, better' trend and went with revolutionary user input and interaction. It too altered the market. So what do they do next? Bigger, badder, or try to revolutionize the game console again?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    From the article they are saying it could be more powerful than the PS3/360 (which I don't see), but if so it probably means they can get some good 3rd party games and not pared down versions like the Wii currently gets.

Plus you know with a new Nintendo system comes a new Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, etc.
    See 5 years ago I woudl have been like WHOOO bring it on....but now its like

The last Zelda Games we....ok but can't touch the ones on N64 or even Gamecube

Mario Kart 64 and DS are better than the MArio Akrt Wii

and they have not made sequels to games like Luigi's Mansion 2 or Pikmon (perfect fits for the Wii remote) so that they could make Wii Fit

Money wise THERE doing GREAT.....fan wise they have put us aside to make more money over even making a fw games a year that make us happy, like I said the 3DS is great cause we want remakes of the best games they've made but a new Wii just means more crappy Gimmick games and games that I can just get on the Xbox that will have better online features.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I think nintendo's biggest threat is actually smartphones

As cell phones and now smartphone-like devices move further and further down the age chart... I mean you see 8 year olds with iPod Touch or iPhones.. and those prices come down... the dedicated gaming handheld market is going to get squeezed big time. I think this 'generation' Nintendo has been held up by the DS and it's variants. The DS Lite is probably one of the best blends of features, convenience, quality, and game availability ever in the handheld market.

Nintendo could become a Sega... where they have to risk it all on the next platform and if it flops (dreamcast) the company basically can't recover. Scarey...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged