Who is the gaming version of Pixar?

So Pixar is widely acknowledged to be one of the leading computer animated movie companies in the world. Pretty much all of their projects have became box office smashing winners. It seems that anything they make becomes a gold mine. Which got me thinking......

Who is the gaming equivalent of Pixar? Is it Naughty Dog or Media Molecule who's recent games have redefined their chosen genre (and in MM's case established)? Or is it the larger Valve boasting tons of fans and pretty much ruling the PC market?

So who do you think is the gold mine game developer? Money isn't the prime focus (Exclusive devs lose out on at least half the money) but the quality and story of the games are.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Who is the gaming version of Pixar?

I love Bio Ware Games, Knights of the old Republic, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are fine examples of REALLY good games that are story based, funny and have very interesting characters

• Seasick

Blizzard. Every game they produce is hugely successful both creatively and financially.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I've yet to get into Blizzard's style of games ie MMO's so cannot really promote or attack them. I wonder if Disney's looking to bring in a Pixaresque developer who can create new exciting stories that reach out to the gaming market. In many ways I believe that having Warren Spector onboard was a way to realise that concept.

Bioware's a good shout and the ME series has been gripping.

I love this question!

However, I wonder which aspect of Pixar you're referring to. Is it the money, since you started talking about a gaming gold mine, yet in the end you said it's not primarily about the money. Accessibility of the games? Critical acclaim? Story?

Since I'm not sure, I'll just try to answer everything, hehehehe!

I personally believe that traditionally Shigeru Miyamoto and the folks at Nintendo are the closest things we have to Walt Disney himself. And I mean that in any form of media.

I find it hard to define gaming in terms of just the story since it's certainly a lot more than that.

If it's tech-wise, I think Naughty Dog is the king of that, but I disagree that they redefine the genre. They more or less polish an existing genre to a pretty shine. They're like summer blockbuster films in my opinion.

I agree with the complexity and emotional impact of BioWare, but it doesn't quite have the universal appeal of Pixar. It was bit hard for me at first to get into the first Mass Effect.

I still maintain Nintendo's Mario and Zelda have the same appeal as Disney-Pixar characters in terms of impact they have on people's childhoods and until today. However, they lack the impact of the story.

Storytelling in games is still developing. The argument of gaming as a storytelling medium is still undefined. If it's more open-ended then WoW is the clear winner. If it's about the twists and turns, then I'd gladly volunteer Hideo Kojima's works or Rockstar's games. But those again are not family-friendly.

If it's money. Then maybe the Pokemon Company?

If many of these criteria are put together, I'd volunteer maybe Sony's Team Ico. Ico & Shadow of the Colossus are beautiful games with great emotional depth without being convoluted.

Yeah I realised that people may only refer to the money making side. The gold mine reference could also be interpreted to being a valuable company. Nintendo clearly wins with its universal appeal and their characters are huge icons - I asked my parents who have never touched a game console who Mario was, and they immediately knew. Miyamoto is a living legend and could easily be compared to Walt Disney, however the stories pale in comparison to Pixar.

A Pixaresque game company should have games which tell compelling and emotional stories, be accessible to most people (however the industry is adult dominated) and have received widespread acclaim for their games.

Team Ico is a good shout, and cannot wait for The Last Guardian. I also believe that Quantic Dream tell great emotional stories.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^thing about Nintendo is they are having a hard time with the 3DS and the WiiU has not gotten them much love from the public...gamers like what they are doing for the most part, but the public could care less and thats not good for them since the Wii was sold out not cause of gamers

Awesome! I haven't bought Heavy Rain yet, but I loved the demo!

I guess my concern is that a lot of these story-centric games is that a lot of them don't forward gameplay as much. It's a difficult balancing act.

At the risk of being redundant, Miyamoto is the Disney of gaming. On top of the characters, he established so many of the industry standards. So he's out as the Pixar of gaming.

Another way to look at it is that who's following Miyamoto, I'd argue Cliff Bleszinski since he explicitly says Miyamoto's his biggest influence. Of course, Gears of War is a far cry from Up.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah I agree Nintendo is the Disney of Gaming...Especially how both have HUGE fan boys that will Always have better memories of what the company used to do over what they are doing now

• The Pumpkin King

Well Toy Story (Pixar) was on the SNES. I still cant beat that game, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^yeah I agree Nintendo is the Disney of Gaming...Especially how both have HUGE fan boys that will Always have better memories of what the company used to do over what they are doing now
    Much agreed.

Especially in the past ten years, which seemed to pander to I don't know which demographic.

Quite possibly the same confused pandering/fan service that Nintendo is up to now.

---------- Post added 08-09-2011 at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by White Bones View Post
    Well Toy Story (Pixar) was on the SNES. I still cant beat that game, lol.
    Neither have I. I think I used a cheat code on the Genesis one. Haven't touch a Pixar based game since. I remember people gushing over how good the graphics were especially in contrast to Saturn's Clockwork Knight.

• Just good enough

Being that Pixar is a brand in of itself, the best example of a video game company with such a branding ability would probably be Rockstar.

They are well known for their sandbox open-world games that are well received and have a really huge fan following. Sure Nintendo has a following but they are an entire company. Rockstar has developed and created worlds like no other with games like the GTA series, Red Dead Redemption and the most recent LA Noire.

Rockstar gets my vote as the Pixar of the video game world.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• Forgotten Spirit

Blizzard Entertainment, all of their games are top notch, with usually high development time.
    Diablo III has been in development since 2001, and has restarted development once because the quality wasn't up to par.
    Like Pixar, they really only release their best work.

• Minion

I'd say it might be Valve. Yeah, they mostly do FPS stuff, but they do have a strong sense of story and character in their works, not to mention they've been helping the field with technical improvement with the Source Engine and Steam.

Nintendo on the other hand is a lot closer to Disney.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

If its pure storytelling and success/failure ratios

Blizzard Entertainment.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange