• Old Timer

Halo 3- Rumour City

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=4068

A lot of this sounds pretty concrete to me. Especially that Halo 3 may require multiple Dvds because its formatted in HD.

Bad news is I presume it will NOT be playable on the original Xbox console. Nor would it be made to do so, another reason to bow down and pay homage to MS I suppose.

For Halo I would, but thats the ONLY game that I play anyway exept COD.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Halo 3- Rumour City

I see a lot of holes in this.

Halo 3 has alledgedly been in development for over a year.
    This would mean that the guys were given no rest after working for several years on Halo 2. Doubtful.

Games radar reported that one unnamed multiplayer title may be using up to four 9GB DVD's.
    Even with HD that doesn't make sense since HD is simply high resolution. High resolution is a task on CPU and memory and the video chip, but it doesn't result in big files. It's high-polygon models and big textures that result in big files. But there's no game, even on PC, with textures and polygon counts so astronomical that they need 4 DVD9s.

The only occasion I could even imagine that being feasable is the case of some Xenosaga-esque RPG with hours and hours of cutscenes displayed as FMV video. But Xeno proved that even RPG nuts have a limit to how much time full of cutscenes they can stand.

And I become more doubtful of this article because:

Considering there is only around 13GB of space on the 360 harddrive this would mean upgrading considerably.
    The HD is 20 GB. It comes half-filled with a bunch of FMV, such as a video for some Warren Miller snowboarding DVD and scenes of Titanic in high definition. This stuff can be deleted.

One of of the latest rumours to reach us is the option to use a wireless keyboard and mouse for control over the joypad.
    HAHAHAHAHHAHA, no. This is the most unbelievable rumor of all since they already shot down Mouse/Keyboard in gameplay a few months ago.

There's good reason for doing this, someone who has trained themselves to use a mouse/keyboard in a shooter will be a godlike sharpshooter capable of spinning around like a top in mid-air and shooting in all directions and all sorts of other crazy moves. Basically, it's unfair and would wreck online play because even the best players who use a controller wouldn't stand a chance.

• Old Timer

Course you have heard that Peter Jackson is heading up a Halo movie?

I can't disagree about much on rumours about Halo 3, MS and Bungie have currently better security than the CIA about leaks.
    One thing for sure is that since MS is in charge now of telling Bungie what to do they will find ways to make Halo 3 more expansive in details like online playability than ever before to milk money for some time to come. If they think having a multi-disc game can allow them to double or triple the game cost to the consumer then they may just do that, imagine having to pay over $100 for the game, would you? its Halo...

With still people paying an average of over $700 on Ebay for a 360 every 13 seconds I'm sure MS will find a way to milk the consumer. Plus Halo 3 will most likely NOT be playable on Xbox 1.0 forcing the consumers to purchase the 360.

I am still holding back on buying the 360 as every day a new set of problems arise, like the BC patch turned out to not work, Microsoft I believe does not really want folks to play the older Xbox games on the 360.
    Not when the 360 games are selling at a higher price and more now are offering to get buyers to subscribe to online play, thats the big strategy online gaming. Big money there for getting online and buying extras.

All in all basically because its a Microsoft product it turns me off, it may be the best on the market but MS is just in it for the money any way they can do it.

Has anybody also heard of the news that the 360 release in Japan was lukewarm in sales, that stores still have them in stock. On several message boards are gamers so hard up to get a 360 they are buying them through Aussie Ebay sellers not caring about the fact its a Japan region coded console.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    imagine having to pay over $100 for the game, would you? its Halo...
    You haven't had to do that for Final Fantasy, have you?

Really, I don't know why people keep saying this kind of stuff about MS but don't say it about Sony, who is also a big giant company who wants your money.

With still people paying an average of over $700 on Ebay for a 360 every 13 seconds I'm sure MS will find a way to milk the consumer.
    People are only paying those prices because they're terribly rare because MS made a bad decision to do a global launch. If those cages full of 360s that are in Japan that people keep taking pictures of were shipped over here, there wouldn't be a problem. They shipped too much product to a region that doesn't want it, and so now there's a bunch of 360s sitting still on the shelves in Japan while Americans are breaking each other's legs for them. So that was a bad move.

But MS could not charge $700 a console with a regular level of manufacturing like any other console has. Panasonic 3DO tried seriously to sell at $700, nobody bought it. Also, they make more money on people buying 4 or 5 games over the course of the machine's lifespan than they do milking people for hardware.

Plus Halo 3 will most likely NOT be playable on Xbox 1.0 forcing the consumers to purchase the 360.
    DUH. Sony does the same thing. Nintendo does the same thing, I mean Super Mario World wasn't released on NES back in the day even though they'd sell millions of copies due to the NES' large userbase.

I am still holding back on buying the 360 as every day a new set of problems arise, like the BC patch turned out to not work
    True, they pulled it. The very next day they put up a fixed version.

Microsoft I believe does not really want folks to play the older Xbox games on the 360.
    They want people to buy old Xbox games because they make money on older Xbox games. That's the idea. They lost money with every Xbox they sold and expected people to buy a lot of Xbox games in order to make up for the loss. Sony is doing the same thing with PS3. Nintendo doesn't do it because it's very cheap for them to make their own machines.

Not when the 360 games are selling at a higher price
    Perfect Dark Zero, arguably the system's most important launch title, is $50 with a collector's edition at $60. This is the same price as Halo 2 appeared at a year ago.

and more now are offering to get buyers to subscribe to online play, thats the big strategy online gaming. Big money there for getting online and buying extras.
    Just like how Nintendo wants to sell you old games through the Revolution?

All in all basically because its a Microsoft product it turns me off, it may be the best on the market but MS is just in it for the money any way they can do it.
    And Sony and Nintendo don't care about money, and are just doing it to make people happy? What world is this happening in?

Almost everything you have complained about is being done by one or both of the other companies. Your post is well written, but IMO it has all the same content as a "LOL M$ SUX" post.

• Old Timer

Because they do....LOL
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS

• The Unknown Princess

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I see a lot of holes in this.
    This would mean that the guys were given no rest after working for several years on Halo 2. Doubtful.
    I have friends that work in the industry. Having no rest between games is nothing unusual. They want to capitalize on the momentum of such a well-known game and since Halo 2 was such a cliff-hanger in the end of the single player, many people were already talking about Halo 3 once Halo 2 came out.

They also may already had another team working on Halo 3 when Halo 2 was finishing or even while Halo 2 was still being developed.
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Reaver of Souls

Exactly. I assure you, H3 was in development well before H2 went gold. Why wait? As for the delopers needing a break, that's their job! When I get done with a project at work, my boss doesn't come to me and say "Hey, way to go! Take a few weeks off!". I just start on the next one. No one is going to wait, when you have a budding franchise like Halo. You just keep on rolling. H3 will be bigger and badder, but multi-DVD? Nope.
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr D
    Because they do....LOL
    And the phrase we're looking for here is, "Oh my, I've been OWNED." ;P

Really, I have my gripes with Microsoft, but I can't really paint them out as some kind of capitalist devil when their chief competitor is SONY of all people. You are aware that the PS2's build quality is well below what most people associate with Japanese electronics, right? Some people have had to buy several over the years thanks to errors caused by the optical reader.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Am I the only one just not at all into the whole first person shooter craze?

You aren't the first and you won't be the last. The thing is that they are, with some exceptions, usually pushing hardware as far as it can go. Id Software hasn't made a good game in a long time now, even as a fan I'd have to say that Quake II was their last game that was actually FUN and that's from 1997. However, their graphical/physics/etc engines are state of the art upon release and bought by other companies to use in other types of games. So, they remain a driving force in keeping new hardware R&D alive.

If you're not into first person shooters, there's still games coming out on everything. I'd say the new Zelda is the next upcoming big title that isn't a shooter.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I know there is more out there, it just seems like everybody wants either HALO or GTA. I'm still not sure about investing in a new system.

Have you thought about the DS? It has a bunch of good games that aren't shooters. They're just launching their online network, with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing. Lot of good offline games too.