Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Anyone get Disneyland kinect?

Just wondering what people think. I want to try it out.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

Re: Anyone get Disneyland kinect?

I got it last night.
    Pros: it is gorgeous. It is an incredibly faithful recreation of the park, down to the details of the brickwork. I was astonished - and realized that they'll have to update it soon when Blue Ribbon Bakery closes, Fantasy Faire arrives, and such.
    The characters are all "officially" voiced, they are well-designed and on-model.
    There are plenty of other guests in the park, but they just move out of your way. A fantasy land, indeed!
    It has some guidance for people who have never been to Disneyland, but I was off and going where I wanted to go because the game is, literally, a copy of the park. Every walkway and building and trash can and ODV cart!
    Instead of entering an attraction, you enter a game based on it. For example, the Matterhorn hosts a game where you navigate a bobsled through the alpine, dodging snowballs thrown by Yetis. It's incredibly difficult, especially using the Kinect! In "small world," you row a boat through adorable 2-D set pieces and stop to dance with dolls.

Cons: Walking around is a pain - you use your arms to move, which is bizarre and difficult. Some gestures just don't seem to work well at all, such as swiping sideways to change your avatar or hugging to hug characters.
    You can't go into the buildings - walking into the Penny Arcade you can only go a few feet and then you're stopped.
    Maybe it's just my installation, but Kinect is a pretty dodgy input system and it often just doesn't register your movements. That makes it difficult to rack up a high score 'cos it simply doesn't work. I'd like the option to use a controller but this game works only with Kinect.

The interaction using the Kinect is the biggest liability in this game; once into the virtual park it is astonishing how realistic it is. If only virtual reality had caught on, I could imagine playing this wearing a VR helmet and interacting with it as if it were the real thing.
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    Maybe it's just my installation, but Kinect is a pretty dodgy input system and it often just doesn't register your movements. That makes it difficult to rack up a high score 'cos it simply doesn't work. I'd like the option to use a controller but this game works only with Kinect.
    Sounds like an installation issue. I found that calibrating Kinect via the Kinect Tuner at various lighting times during the day helped as well. Also, I found mounting it above the TV to be vastly superior to putting it below. Seems to work best at waist level.

I'm out of the country on a work assignment, but I'm looking forward to getting back to play it.
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

I've heard Haunted Mansion's the best mini-game in this.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

My 6 year old son and I started playing it last night, and had fun right away just navigating the park. He was pretty blown away and had a look of wonderment at how realistic it is, and I had a similar reaction. The faithfulness to detail is pretty amazing. Even down to the type of brick or cement they use for the ground seems spot on. The crowd is interesting and diverse, and the weather is perfect. The first inconsistency I saw was a shade issue when going from Adventureland to New Orleans. Usually when you walk down to the right from Tarzan's Treehouse it is quite shady. The Tree that provides that shade is tiny in the game, leaving alot of sun. I know this must sound a nitpicky, but it was really apparent, so I thought I'd mention it.

I've been haunting all my favorite Disney forums and blogs since we are going to DLR over Christmas this year, so I was really primed to play the game. The challenges associated with the attractions are fun, and easy to get the hang of right out of the gate.

While I agree with Rongo about some of the issues with the Kinect, they are much less pronounced in my experience, and if you calibrate your setup, it should be minimal. Also, for those who havent used a Kinect, these complaints could be made about every single game I've played, including Harry Potter, Sonic, Animals, and Kinect Adventures itself. (that's the game they developed to go in the box with the device). My opinion is that the device has more potential than it has realized so far. I think developers should stop trying to port over other games to the kinect and really use their imaginations and build something that is purely Kinect driven. Disneyland Kinect is the closest I've seen anyone come to the mark. I think it was worth buying and a lot of fun. I'm anticipating a high re-play factor - doesn't seem like we'll get bored with it anytime soon.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The game is gorgeous. When I started playing I think I spent about 20 minutes just looking at the Main Street train station from as many angles as possible. As stated above the game is extraordinarily detailed right down to the load spiel on the Matterhorn. Getting around the park is easy once you get the hang of it and there is no shortage of things to do.

The controls are about as responsive as any other Kinect game I've played and as others have posted, it never hurts to re-calibrate your sensor. I find that with me it has a bit of a hard time recognizing the autograph book gesture, but it hasn't been enough of an annoyance to put me off the game. I did get a little annoyed in the Pirates of the Caribbean game when the game had trouble reading me swatting bombs back at the pirates and would sometimes swing when I wasn't moving, but again that might just be a problem with my calibration and not the game itself.

Nearly all of the menus can be navigated verbally, which is a lot easier and more fun than the dealing with the standard floating hand mouse pointer, though that option still exists.

The attraction games are a lot of fun. So far the Matterhorn and Pirates are my favorites. The Haunted Mansion is probably the most like the ride it represents right down to Ghost Host narration.

Most of the voices are pretty decent. A couple of the princesses sound a bit dodgy but unless you watch the original films regularly like me, you aren't likely to notice. The worst voice by far is Br'er Fox.

The characters also give you quests that earn you pins and level up your "magic meter". As far as I can tell this meter just unlocks more quest though your guide in the game indicates something happens when it fills up. The quests are usually the character asking you to find things around the land that they are in. Sometimes they are collectible objects, other times they want you to take photos of landmarks. It can get a bit repetitive if you do several of these in a row, but you can always hop on a ride if things start getting monotonous. A few of the quests even require you to go on an attraction.

In addition to the games on a big rides, there are a couple rides like Dumbo, Teacups, and Gadget Go-Coaster that your character can actually just ride. I was a little disappointed that you can't control the up and down on Dumbo or spin your tea cup, but they are still fun.

I hope the game does well because as much as it is already pretty well packed with content, there is still plenty of room for downloadable expansions.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I've only gone to Fantasyland and Toontown so far but the vivid imagery is much better than in the stills and video clips.

Anyone has difficulty calling the autograph option? I tried various different angles and it only worked once out of ~50 attempts. Well I'll try to use voice activation next time.

Also have you noticed sometimes the video freezes for a split second? Well I hope this will solve itself as I "walk" through the whole park.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

If they ahev a bundle with this game and the kinect for 100 bucks...I'll get it but I just can pay 150 (or even 100) for the Kinect and then 40 more for this game but it looks MUCH better than I thought it would

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

will be getting it on Black Friday or the Day before. Price is not an option for me! lol

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    will be getting it on Black Friday or the Day before. Price is not an option for me! lol
    Yeah I have been waiting to get it just to see if it lowers for black Friday but that will be when i get it as well.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Got it today for 35 bucks at best buy...and got a Kinect for 70 bucks (with the Kinect adventures) so about 110 bucks for Kinect with two games not too bad......my room is not really big enough to play in so Im going to have to get the zoom adaption for 20 bucks and then get to play the game in comfort but it looks JUST like the parks from what I've seen.....carts and all

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I literally started playing it and blinked and found it was 2 1/2 hours later. For someone who lives faraway from Disneyland it was like really being in the park. I think my favorite part (besides the stunning representation of the park details) is the interactions with characters. They just melt my heart and make me giddy. This 30 year old LOVES this game and can't wait to share it with my 5 year old nephew!

• Everthing is Satisfactual

I loved it too - reviewed it for the site I write for here: Kinect Disneyland Adventures Review

Really enjoyed myself, and the park looks fantastic.
    Really authentic representation of the park.

• Olé! Olé! It's Showtime!

A couple additions to my earlier review:

It seems that a great deal of the attractions - at least, the first level that I've gone through - are the same. Float, fall or bobsled, while swaying back and forth to collect coins and avoid obstacles. The stand out attractions that are different would be Pirates (row to collect coins and avoid obstacles : and Small World (row then dance with figures).

There is an overwhelming sense of cynical Disney consumerism as you go through the game - collect coins, then CMs beckon you into shops where you can buy autograph books... 'cos you can't collect character autographs without an official store-bought Disney autograph book.

No amount of calibration helped my Kinect recognize my movements better, but perhaps my problem is that I don't have a mini-mansion with a huge living room like in the ads.

I had a blast riding the Tea Cups over and over and over -- they need to add more ride simulations!

The "Hidden Mickeys" in the game are not really hidden: they're big and obvious. That said, there ARE a few real, genuine HMs in the game that duplicate real ones in the park.

There are so many ways they could extend this game - I would love it if they had a timewarp function that changed the park to an earlier era and let us explore Rainbow Caverns or Country Bear Jamboree!
    MiceChat from Main Street.
    MiceChat goes mobile with the Mouseaddict app for iPhone and iPad! Keep up to date with the latest blogs and columns, chat live with MiceChatters inside and outside of the parks, plan your next move with Addictometer wait times and crowd level mapping, see showtimes and set reminders for dining, shows and FastPass, and find anything in the resort — from attractions to sidewalk carts.

Learn more and download free at mouseaddict.com.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rongo View Post
    A couple additions to my earlier review:

It seems that a great deal of the attractions - at least, the first level that I've gone through - are the same. Float, fall or bobsled, while swaying back and forth to collect coins and avoid obstacles. The stand out attractions that are different would be Pirates (row to collect coins and avoid obstacles : and Small World (row then dance with figures).

There is an overwhelming sense of cynical Disney consumerism as you go through the game - collect coins, then CMs beckon you into shops where you can buy autograph books... 'cos you can't collect character autographs without an official store-bought Disney autograph book.

No amount of calibration helped my Kinect recognize my movements better, but perhaps my problem is that I don't have a mini-mansion with a huge living room like in the ads.

I had a blast riding the Tea Cups over and over and over -- they need to add more ride simulations!

The "Hidden Mickeys" in the game are not really hidden: they're big and obvious. That said, there ARE a few real, genuine HMs in the game that duplicate real ones in the park.

There are so many ways they could extend this game - I would love it if they had a timewarp function that changed the park to an earlier era and let us explore Rainbow Caverns or Country Bear Jamboree!
    That would be swwet if they had time periods...Mine should be coming in I finally ordered it off amazon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast