Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Need advise on new computer

Since you guys seem to know alot more than I do about computers, just wondering if anyone had some good suggestions on a good brand/type of PC. Just need the basics, just for surfing and scanning, and plenty of storage. I can get a Dell on discount here at work, but have heard mixed things about them. Looking at an HP or Compaq, but still not sure. Looking to purchase during the after Xmas sales, hope someone can offer some good advice for a good reliable mid-priced PC, thanks!
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Need advise on new computer

I like Dell. I have it on 5 year warrenty so do not know what their servuice is like when it is off warranty. I just know HP always charges 30 bucks over the phone for their service. But none the less you will always hear mixed reviews about all of the computer brands. I got a Dell 2400 dimension desktop for about 300-400 bucks and love it.

• Minion

+1 on Dell. We use them at work and have had very few break down. One or two out of 50-60 that we've purchased over the years. Also have one at home that's been great.

Macs are good too, if you're open to Mac. I have a laptop and desktop at home and love them both.

• Vehicle rotating backward

iMac if you can afford it. Mac's biggest drawback, of course, is that it doesn't have versions of many third-party programs that Windows do, but as far as browsing/email/etc common tasks go, the applications on Mac that handle that stuff are wonderful compared to the experience on Windows. No worry about spyware. No worry about virus attatchments, etc.

It's a bit more, but if you're just wanting an internet machine (which means the big Windows software library isn't so important to you) then Mac is great because you can just set it and forget it. No worries about having to be hunched over the machine in a month running a suite of diagnostic/repair/service apps while reading of screens of text to a support guy in India.

PS: In case you're worried, Macs can talk to, share files, share printers, and do all that network stuff with Windows machines now. Easily.

• And, THEN she said...

we had Dells at the place I used to work for MSN tech support..I fell in love with them there..they almost never had any major problems..But here at home I have An HP and its been really good to me..ive had it for about 3 years now and got it from my puter lady as a used system..Its an HP Pavillion 6630 this thing is like a Timex..Takes a licking and keeps on ticking..

I would stay away from Compaq..(sorry Compaq fans) those were the ones that we almost always had to have the owners send back to the company for hardware Issues even when they were just out of the box..so that kind of spooked me about compaq's almost everyone Ive talked too who has had a compaq has had major trouble with it. be careful!

another one I dearly love is IBM..my very first puter was an ANCIENT IBM desktop..it was so old it had personal computer written on the case..that thing lasted me 6 years till the power supply blew.. it didnt die right away either it lasted me another 2 years til it finally died..and i was going to fix it till my puter lady found out they will only take IBM power supplies and one for mine was 350 bucks! it was so old my puter lady said it really wasnt worth it so she took it as a trade in for parts on my HP I have now..and she was the one that sold me that IBM too..she got it as a trade on a newer one..so when she got it it was probably older than dirt LOL
    Last edited by Groomer; 12-20-2005 at 08:02 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Actually there is almost as much software for Mac as there is for PC's, its just harder to find. You can't run down to Wally World and pick up a program. You have to mail order or download ( www.versiontracker.com) stuff. But they are more stable and secure and much less prone to virus attacks. (Yes I'm a Mac person.)

Daughter and her boyfriend have Dells and haven't had any problems with them, except for the normal PC weirdness. Thinking about getting daughter a laptop for school, and as much as I love Mac's, I'll be looking at a PC for her so I'll be watching this thread too to see if anyone has advice on laptops. I'm thinking Dell or Toshiba for that...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Penguin, I'm talking about commercial software. I know there's a lot of open-source and shareware stuff made by hobbyists small-time programmers, but the big name cross-platform software is basically Quicken, MS Office and the Adobe CS suite.

Of course, there's always VPC, but that's expensive.

• is satisfactual.

But Adobe and MS Office have Mac versions...? Am I misinterpreting you or are you under the impression that these can only be used on PCs? I'm in graphic design and let me tell you, Adobe and Mac certainly mix.

MS Office is still Hell on earth even on a Mac, but then it's still Office.

• Old Timer

I suggest that you buy the cheapest one that will do most what you expect cause its already obsolete, you can get a decent HP with a fast CPU (I use an AMD) preloaded with a decent bundle for under $750 and it should be good for at least two years.
    Don't do what I did about 6 years ago, I had a PC guy custom build me a unit with the best of the best, it was good for about 5 years max,then everything got faster and I couldn't upgrade it fast enough. it was only 700mhz which meant I couldn't play Halo PC on it.

Don't buy a Toshiba laptop, way too delicate.

Basically consider a PC as time limited, I think 3 years is about right to replace one and move up.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Minion

Thanks guys for all the advice, appreciate it!
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• Looking for Love

Buy a Mac, I don't care if it's an iMac all the way to the Mac Mini, as long as its made by Apple, your good to go!

• Minion

You guys talked me into an iMac, the new G5 is just too sweet!

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...E590&nclm=iMac

• The Power To Do More

The new G5 is going to be phased out.. and the Imac you're talking about is gone, gone, gone. It's the same price as the Intel (2x faster) replacing it. As well since Apple is switching to Intel you gotta make the switch (Ie from the 68000 to PPC). In the future the Intel will simply have more life in it. It's not the brand (ie a Cavalier is a hugely different beast then a Corvette), but what you buy. If you're on the Internet a $750 pc is too much. Get a nice cheap Sempron, add more RAM and you're good to go. A 5-year old Pentium III 933Mhz still does everything on the Internet, podcasts, Quicktime videos, you name it Internet wise she's as fast as my dual core 64bit machine bought last month.

• Sock Puppet

I would go with a Dell beacuse they are a lot easyer to upgrade in the furture. Be sure to get at least a 3.0 processor and 512 RAM. It might be a little $$ but its worth it.

• Banned User

I got this for mom this morning, a great deal!! dimension E310. total cost 700.00 with free upgrades, 17 inch flat panel, 160 gig hard drive, speakers that go onto the screen, so many extras and free shipping. yep she does nothing but go on the web so it was a great deal for her. it als ocame with extras for picture taking and music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast