Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Epic Mickey 2: it's official!

The new game will boast 2 player co-op, an improved camera, and . . . musical numbers???

PRESS INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Metro
    Although a sequel to 2010's Epic Mickey has been an open secret for months now most speculation had suggested a Wii U and 3DS game, but instead it's been announced for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The sequel was confirmed in US newspaper the San Francisco Chronicle, where designer Warren Spector revealed it would be a 'fully-voiced, all-star Disney musical'.
    'I'm such a geek about musicals,' he said. 'I love the co-op and next gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic.'
    As previously rumoured the game will include drop-in, drop-out co-operative play, with one player cast as Mickey and the other as Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. Oswald will apparently be a partner if playing on your own as well, and has a 'remote control that can manipulate electricity'.
    Mickey will still have his magic paintbrush, allowing you to create physical objects in the world or remove them with magic paint thinner. There are few details about the plot, but the wasteland setting of the first game will return.
    We're sure this is all very exciting for Disney fans but we really didn't think that much of the first game, with its outdated platform action, undercooked morality system, and dour atmosphere.
    Spector seems to be responding to some of the criticisms at least, with the wonky camera system apparently undergoing a major overhaul.
    '(There have been) over 1000 specific changes made to the camera. Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game,' he said.
    No release date has been mentioned so far, but earlier rumours pointed towards an autumn launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Informer
    Epic Mickey: The Power of Two addresses many of the complaints the original had. Speaking to the Associated Press, Junction Point Studios boss Warren Spector said he's fixing the camera placement in the game and is adding drop-in, drop-out co-op with Mickey and Oswald, who are now teaming up for the sequel.

"We've had a team working on the camera from literally the day we finished the first game," he said. "They'll be working on it until the day we ship the second game. (There have been) over 1,000 specific changes made to the camera. Our goal is that you will not have to touch the manual camera controls even once to play through the main story path of this game." Additionally, Spector said he's adding voice acting this time and will even include musical numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by G4
    Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two has officially been revealed, and it will feature co-op gameplay, a multiplatform release, voiced characters and even musical numbers! It's coming out this fall.

According to creator Warren Spector, speaking to The Associate Press, Epic Mickey 2 will be released on the PlayStation 3, Wii and 360, and will feature a drop-in, drop-out co-op mode that puts players in control of either Mickey or Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.

Mickey will wield the paintbrush and paint thinner from the first game, while Oswald will work with a remote control that can command electricity. When playing single-player, Oswald will still be in the game, presumably as an AI-controlled buddy.

Unlike the first game, that featured a silent hero, Epic Mickey 2 will feature voices, even for Oswald, who has never spoken before. Oswald will be voiced by voice actor Frank Welker.

Not only will Disney Epic Mickey 2 characters speak, they'll sing. The game features original music from Jim Dooley and Mike Himelstein, the team who penned the music for the upcoming animated film "Dorothy of Oz."

Spector is most excited about the music, telling The Associated Press, "I'm such a geek about musicals...I love the co-op and next-gen stuff, but for me, when a character breaks into song, which they do on a regular basis in this game, it's magic."

As for the setting of the game, Epic Mickey 2 puts Mickey and Oswald back in Wasteland, the darker Disneyland from the first game, filled with obscure and forgotten characters and theme park attractions. Some of the locations from the first game will return, but in a different form -- there have been earthquakes and other disasters that have changed things a lot. There will also be new location. Spector mentioned Frontierland, and also promised other locations that are yet to be revealed.

Spector said: "Frontierland has changed so much since it started. There's so much forgotten history there, so Frontierland is going to get a pretty good exploration this time around, plus some other places that we'll keep secret for now."

____

I'll admit, I was a bit taken aback by the whole idea of a "musical game," but if Jim Dooley is behind the wheel, I'm sure it'll all turn out to be amazing.

• Minion

Re: Epic Mickey 2: it's official!

Got a little bit of footage from this interview thing.
    Disney Sketches Sequel to 'Epic Mickey' Game - YouTube

Looks like the Mad Doctor has a villain song.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Disney uploaded some new screenshots to their Facebook page today. There are 11 in total, but these are the most interesting:

Ostown reappears, albeit slightly redesigned. Maybe the Mad Doctor rebuilt everything after a natural (or unnatural) disaster?

I . . . I'm not sure how to interpret this one. I guess it looks like an underground Rube Goldberg contraption in a lava-filled chamber?? Oh, and the head on the far right belongs to the judge from The Wind In The Willows, though Disneylanders will probably recognize him from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

More of Mickey's house. It's beginning to look like a hub world of some sort.

Apparently there's more than just Mickey junk in Wasteland.

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi
    Got a little bit of footage from this interview thing.
    Disney Sketches Sequel to 'Epic Mickey' Game - YouTube

Looks like the Mad Doctor has a villain song.
    Sweet! We've also got a new trailer:

And here's the video Figment posted (just for the sake of having an embedded one):

A couple of things:

If you compare this to the first image in this post, you'll see that the fountain area is significantly less flooded.

There are "bouncy" objects in the background that swing back and forth, such as the flower behind Oswald. Note the blue sky in the background.

Assuming it's not a glitch or a trick of the lighting, it looks like mountains (and even the sky itself!!!) have been partially thinned out.

Fantasia broomstick return in non-blotling form. This appears to be the upper portion of the Telescope Room from earlier.

This is only concept art, so it may not be in the final game, but this looks like two different Autopia cars racing side by side. The one on the right is a more traditional looking car, while the one on the left bears a stronger resemblance to the ones from Midget Autopia or HKDL Autopia.

EDIT: Someone pointed out on another site that the robot from The Black Hole also appears in this image! I'd never seen the movie, so I missed that entirely!
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 03-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.

• Minion

Those underground tunnels with all the junk are new transition levels. Besides the cartoons, Mickey and Oswald travel into the DECs (Dahl Engineering Corridors, constructed by the Gremlins.) below Wasteland. These tunnels and the junk within them are at Wasteland's foundations and are what Oswald built the park areas on top of.

Mickey's House and Yen Sid's Tower are the tutorial levels for the game.

Also, tidbit from the presentation this morning, among the VA cast is Cary Elwes as Gremlin Gus. Guess Westley went from fighting Rodents of Unusual Size to becoming a sidekick to one.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

Epic Mickey news continues to pour in. G4TV has a wonderful hands-on preview and interview here. Plus, we have these little beauties:

What really excites me about the second video is we learn that EVERY line of dialogue is going to be voice acted. That's pretty darn exciting!

Also, have some gameplay footage:

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Those underground tunnels with all the junk are new transition levels. Besides the cartoons, Mickey and Oswald travel into the DECs (Dahl Engineering Corridors, constructed by the Gremlins.) below Wasteland. These tunnels and the junk within them are at Wasteland's foundations and are what Oswald built the park areas on top of.

Mickey's House and Yen Sid's Tower are the tutorial levels for the game.

Also, tidbit from the presentation this morning, among the VA cast is Cary Elwes as Gremlin Gus. Guess Westley went from fighting Rodents of Unusual Size to becoming a sidekick to one.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 03-23-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Finally!!!! Frontierland!!! I can't wait.

And what's better is that this is a fall 2012 release date. So I only have to wait half the time I did for the first one!

New-ish screenshot showing a new area. There appear to be plywood cutouts strewn all over the place. Some sort of mechanized puppet show, perhaps?

The Beetleworx (Blotworx?) is a revised version of one from the last game. Also, it looks like Mickey will once again be traveling through projector screens, in addition to the new DECs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    Finally!!!! Frontierland!!! I can't wait.

And what's better is that this is a fall 2012 release date. So I only have to wait half the time I did for the first one!
    Yay, you're here! I was hoping you'd show up!

I'm flattered that you'd remember me!

Anyways, here's a couple of pieces of concept art I found online.

Name:  446px-Ep2conseptart.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  67.3 KBName:  Fronteirland_in_epic_mickey_2.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  47.7 KB
    Looks like Frontierland is going to be fun! I see the cactuses from Western river Expedition!Name:  830px-Concept_art_EM2.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  73.6 KBName:  830px-Ostown_Em2.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  56.6 KB
    I guess we will be going back to locations from the first game, but with some obvious changes. Actually, Ostown looks a lot more filled space-wise compared to the first.

First true glimpse at the Blotworx:

Appears to be based on these guys:

Looks like the Gremlins will be getting some new gear:

• Minion

There will also be a 3DS companion game: Epic Mickey: The Power of Illusion. We'll be getting details on it on Tuesday and in the new Nintendo Power.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

Just curious. Is this going to be the main Epic Mickey 2 thread, or should there be one like there was for the first game where people post new info, pictures and videos?

• Banned User

I hope this game is better than the first. I got bored with the first one. I like how they released the first game knowing it had a few problems.

^^^Actually, they openly admitted that they didn't get everything right. It's a new company and they had to start from the ground up, so I'm letting some of the glitches in the game slide. They had to do a ton of work to get the game completed and Disney probably was rushing it out the door to met the Christmas deadline. This time, it doesn't look like they're being rushed, and I think it's going to be much better than the first. Hopefully they don't put in so many fetch quests, which is probably why you found the first game boring. Because it was just a bunch of fetch quests mixed in with the main storyline.

• Unhelpful User

Just to purely speculate. I'm going to guess that along with Frontierland, we'll be getting Fantasyland as well. I think we are going to get a lot of things that were cut from the original game. Hopefully, there will be more new worlds other than those two and slightly re-worked worlds from the other game. In fact, that is my biggest fear with how little time there is between games. Disney rushed the first game so much, that the second game is just a re-mix with the same worlds and just the stuff that was cut. I mean it is kind of suspicious that they had more time with the first game, and under two years with the second game and we are to expect it is going to be better. I know there are going to be improvements... but what about the content in the game. Are we going to be getting a lot of re-treads?

I for one hope there is more than just like two new lands and things like MeanStreet, Gremlin Village, and Mickey Junk Mountain (though I loved all three of them, there should be lands that are unique to each game... and those parts are so good, I don't want to see them lose their prestige in the series) are cut for new areas to be added. Like instead of Mickey Junk Mountain, we get a distopian Splash Mountain.

Also, my biggest dissapointment with the first game was that they promised us obscure characters but we really only got Oswald, Horace, Clara, Ortensia, the radio and phone and that was about it. The rest were palet swapped pirates, palet swapped Clara's, horace's, and Goofys. And then animatronic versions of popular Disney characters (which don't count as forgotten) and the Petes (also don't count as forgotten). I didn't really see them using the forgotten concept that well in that first game... considering there are dozens upon dozens of forgotten characters in the Disney lore. Again, this is something I'm hoping gets fixed but during the press conference when he talked about new characters... he went into characters we have already seen and talked about how they will be updated. That isn't "New Characters" Warren.

Again, I am excited but hesitant due to the quick time it has taken them to make this game. I just have a feeling that new areas and new characters are going to suffer because of, once again, the game being rushed to market.

However, I read the latest issue of Nintendo Power, with Epic Mickey 2 on the cover and got a few more juicy bits from that. The most interesting was when he talked about the trilogy. He pretty much hinted to the third game being Oswald's first real solo adventure. He didn't quite say that, but the way he worded it pretty much lead me to believe that in the third game, something will happen to Mickey and Oswald will become the star. Here's hoping that is the case.

But PLEASE, keep re-treads to a minimum in this game. I already don't like thath Ostown is back in the game... and that it looks like Tommorrow City and the Haunted Mansion are as well. New stuff please.

You have to remember that it's much faster to make a sequel than the first game. All of the character models, sound effects, paint/thinner mechanics and so on are already there. The only new stuff they have to create are things that weren't in the first game. They had to build everything from the ground up for the first game, but much of what they need is already there. I'm sure that there will be plenty of new stuff to enjoy. He's already said that there are going to be lots of new characters, so I'm counting on it.
    Why do you think we haven't really seen anything new except for the tutorial areas(Mickey's house and Yensid's lair)? Because it's just been announced a week or two ago. We've got all summer for them to release tidbits of new info. Also, while we will be getting some returning maps, such as Ostown and Mean Street, I'm fine with this. Naturally we're going to see Mean Street again, as it's the main hub of the game. Ostown looks changed enough to satisfy me. I just hope we don't have to go through Thru the looking glass a billion times this time around. I think that while we'll probably see areas like Tomorrow City and Ventureland return, I'm assuming that they're going to create some new maps that include different things, such as an Autopia area in Tomorrow City or a more prominent Jungle Cruise area.

So The Bob's Socks, you've read the new Nintendo Power issue? I've been trying to find it, but I guess my local Target hasn't put it on their selves yet. Is it worth buying it?

UPDATED POST: Just found this video online. Who do you think that British-sounding voice belongs too? Actually, I noticed a strange purple creature standing under the Gag factory where Moody stood in the first game. Is this a new forgotten character? Beats me. I can't seem to figure out who he is, so he must be.

Last edited by Stitch626626; 04-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast