Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Epic Mickey 2 Disney Refences: the ultimate challenge for Disney fanatics!

Since the other EM2 thread seems to be mainly for news and updates regarding the game, I thought it would be neat if we made a new thread devoted to picking apart all the juicy references to Disneyana that appear in The Power of Two, just like we did for the first game. And boy! It looks like we've got our work cut out for us this time! They're gettin' really obscure this time around!

(I'll do my best to keep the list updated as discoveries are made.)

DISCOVERED:

The beetleworx in the game's opening movie is from Tokyo's Dream Lights parade. (Found by Roger Dog. Pictures originally posted by Stitch626626 and Roger Dog.)

Attachment 23188

The dinosaur bones in Disney Gulch are from Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Name:  dinodlc-500x375.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  84.7 KB

The cacti in Disney Gulch are from the unbuilt Western River Expedition. (Discovered by Stitch626626)

Name:  wrecactus.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  67.9 KB

The First Little Pig and the Big Bad Wolf (from The Three Little Pigs) appear as giant disembodied heads in Disney Gulch.

The cages on the train are from the Casey Jr. ride. The front is from Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Name:  62506BigThunder1.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  81.2 KB

PARTIALLY SOLVED:

The big head on the far right is the judge from The Wind in the Willows/Mr. Toad's wild ride.

The head of this blotworx is based on the robot VINCENT from Disney's The Black Hole. (Originally discovered by: unknown, possibly xwing_5 from g4tv.)

BIGGEST MYSTERIES:

Old-Timey Car Blotworx (Picture originally posted by Stitch626626.)

Tribal Mask Blotworx (Picture originally posted by Stitch626626.)
    Last edited by Garfieldo; 08-16-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Re: Epic Mickey 2 Disney Refences: the ultimate challenge for Disney fanatics!

Nice list so far! Anyone can contribute, right?

• Nothin's gonna stop us!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    Nice list so far! Anyone can contribute, right?
    Absolutely! The more the merrier!

This one is a bit more obvious, but since we're naming things,

Name:  EpicMickey2_3.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  29.8 KB
    Elliott the Dragon, from Pete's dragon, in his Main Street Electrical Parade float form, is apparently the game's first boss.
    Name:  2675912051_5852d80c83_z.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  115.7 KB

• Minion

That Tribal Mask belongs to Kida from Atlantis the Lost Empire
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    That Tribal Mask belongs to Kida from Atlantis the Lost Empire
    You beat me to it! Although I'm thinking the entire beetleworx is based on the Atlantis films. With the tribal mask belonging to Kida for a head, and the glider-thing for a shoulder, I'm guessing the other shoulder is also some sort of glider-thing. Name:  screencap101.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  45.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

• Minion

One that probably didn't occur to you: The extending robotic tentacle with claw hand coming off the Mad Doctor's vehicle when he grabs the falling building piece in the opening is one of the claws of Meet the Robinson's Doris
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

One that probably didn't occur to you: The extending robotic tentacle with claw hand coming off the Mad Doctor's vehicle when he grabs the falling building piece in the opening is one of the claws of Meet the Robinson's Doris

Wow! That NEVER occurred to me. When I think of Disney films, I usually forget about that film. Guess that one really did end up in Wasteland.

Anyways, here's another
    Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 1318
Size:  19.3 KB

While the size of the rock pillar is a bit off, and the spherical boulder has been replaced by the battery sphere, I'm pretty sure this is a reference to the rock formation from the Living Desert area of the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland.
    Name:  mineride.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  53.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Garfieldo View Post
    PARTIALLY SOLVED:

The big head on the far right is the judge from The Wind in the Willows/Mr. Toad's wild ride.

I'm fairly certain there may be a merchandise counter-part to the judge's head (among the other collective bits)! Similarly, the tortoise in the wheel is Toby Tortoise (not to be confused with Toby Turtle from Robin Hood) as a wind-up racer toy, which has a Max Hare companion in real life. Can't find a picture on it, but my friend Nova Greensocks was able to spot the reference for me a few months back.

In the same level there is also a reference to the Roald Dahl book "The Gremlins"

However, it seems the bottom portion of the book was removed from the game. (I have the Dark Horse Comics edition that was republished in 2006, which, while altered to reference the introduction by Leonard Maltin, still has wording at the bottom)

Here's a great site I've been using to try to spot some of the more vague park references. Be sure to check out a lot of the older (especially now non-existent) attractions!

Daveland Disneyland Frontierland Photo Page
    Last edited by Roger Dog; 08-21-2012 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Correction

In the Dahl Engineering Corridor transition level, there's a train that blocks your path.
    Name:  train.JPG
Views: 1274
Size:  37.0 KB
    After looking over through google images, I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea where this originally came from. Apparently, the train is from the Disneyland Railroad...
    Name:  train_night.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  180.4 KB
    But considering the fact that the entire level is constructed by merchandise, it couldn't possibly be that. I also found the train plastered to the side of a lunchbox.
    Name:  il_570xN.298265655.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  79.5 KB
    Or could they actually be using something more modern like this.
    Name:  Hornby_Disney_Toy_Story_3_Train_Set.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  164.2 KB
    So basically, I'm saying that there is clearly a train in this level. Where it comes from originally? I have no idea.

Also, I found the Dumbo book that is located at the beginning of the transition level.

Name:  45.JPG
Views: 1254
Size:  45.4 KB
    Name:  cb dumbo dell 668.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  92.4 KB
    It's turned upside down, and the words aren't there, but I"m almost positive that this is what's in the level.

• Minion

The Gamescom demo also had listings for Rainbow Caverns in it's menus.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

The Gamescom demo also had listings for Rainbow Caverns in it's menus.
    Just saw the demo, and I'm REALLY glad there's a level select for the sequel. That was one of the things that REALLY bugged me in the first game, having to play through the entire game just to get to the Ventureland level.

Anyways, the Rainbow Caverns listings was pretty interesting, since the caverns was only a small segment of a Frontierland ride. It'll be a bit bizarre if the maps aren't connected with the Disney Gulch area.

Looks like that train is some variation of Engine #1 (C.K Holliday). The one from Toy Story 3 certainly does resemble it (I think it was mentioned around when trailers for it were released, no idea if Pixar has confirmed the inspiration for it yet) but there's more to the train on this clearer screenshot from the HD version of the game.

The inert tender car is peeking out from the top! So, assuming this is indeed Engine #1, there ought to be a toy version out there somewhere. Or perhaps the real one derailed in Wasteland and ended in DEC? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    Just saw the demo, and I'm REALLY glad there's a level select for the sequel. That was one of the things that REALLY bugged me in the first game, having to play through the entire game just to get to the Ventureland level.

Anyways, the Rainbow Caverns listings was pretty interesting, since the caverns was only a small segment of a Frontierland ride. It'll be a bit bizarre if the maps aren't connected with the Disney Gulch area.
    ​I'm pretty sure those level select screens are exclusive to the demo build of the game (they had the same thing for Epic Mickey 1 when it was demoed). However, Warren did say that you wouldn't exactly be "locked out" of areas this time around!

Speaking of Rainbow Caverns, a LOT of the Disney Gultch (at least, what has been shown) seems to be taking much from the land that the Rainbow Caverns Mine Train/Mine Train through Nature’s Wonderland took back when it was still in operation. The Living Desert, the various geysers, Rainbow Caverns... mayhaps we'll see some "mighty waterfalls" (Cascade Peak) soon enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dog View Post
    mayhaps we'll see some "mighty waterfalls" (Cascade Peak) soon enough?
    Well, there WAS a level in the level select menu titled RAINBOW FALLS. Maybe that could have something to do with the Cascade Peak?

• Minion

Got a new level to pick apart: Fort Wasteland

Disney Epic Mickey 2 Fort Wasteland Gameplay Footage - YouTube
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast