• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

How can I mess around with the RCT2 Music files?

I know how to make the two custom made tracks on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and I do not want to delete the two I have made, but I wanted to know if there is any way I can screw around with any of the music files that came with the game?

I want to add the song "A Pirates Life for Me" from Peter Pan and "Yo-Ho" onto the Pirates song file and "Haunted Mansion" onto the Spooky song file.

Do you know If I can do this or has Atari made it impossible for me to change the song files RCT2 came with?

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Re: How can I mess around with the RCT2 Music files?

Not sure... I will check and find out and PM you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I tried it last night. I turned the file into a WAV file and added the stuff onto it and put it back in the RCT data folder, but that dit not work. I noticed that all songs in the data folder are .dat files. So I bet Atari made it so that no one can screw around with the songs.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Yes!

Most of the CSS##.dat files are actually .WAVs. If you rename them to wavs, you can hear them. So all you need to do is fnd the specific song you want to replace, and then give it that same file name.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    Yes!

Most of the CSS##.dat files are actually .WAVs. If you rename them to wavs, you can hear them. So all you need to do is fnd the specific song you want to replace, and then give it that same file name.
    I will try it. Thanks .

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I know how to make the two custom made tracks on Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and I do not want to delete the two I have made, but I wanted to know if there is any way I can screw around with any of the music files that came with the game?

I want to add the song "A Pirates Life for Me" from Peter Pan and "Yo-Ho" onto the Pirates song file and "Haunted Mansion" onto the Spooky song file.

Do you know If I can do this or has Atari made it impossible for me to change the song files RCT2 came with?
    That should prove to be an interesting file once you accomplish your plans, Wrassler.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Actually I did what Monorail Man said and it worked. I backed up the original Pirate themed music and replaced the original with Peter Pans "A Pirates Life" and "The Tic Toc Crocodile Song". But you cant make the new song files any longer in length than the one you are recording over that came with the game or else it will just cut off during the song and loop right back around to the beginning. So my whole POTC entrance spiel of "Keep your ruddy hands in board Matey, etc." got cut off . But I still like the new sound file .
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 01-21-2006 at 04:10 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Whhops...Double Post
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 01-21-2006 at 04:10 PM.

• Illuminated

So you are saying all you need to do is get any song file rename it as one of the other songs in the RCT2 folder e.g "Rock Style 1" and put .wav on the end?
    "I never miss the chance to have sex or appear on television."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Poof
    So you are saying all you need to do is get any song file rename it as one of the other songs in the RCT2 folder e.g "Rock Style 1" and put .wav on the end?
    Here is what you can do, some of the ride song files that came with the game can be recorded over with whatever song you want, as long as the song you are replacing the old RCT2 song is a Wav file, and the time lenght of the song you are recording over.

Or you can create two of your own custom song files with your favorite songs and both of those have to be Wav files. You name the two tracks you personally created custom1 and custom2. Then you must right click on both the files, click properties, click convert now, and make sure that their properties are 22kbps, 16 bit, 2 stereo. Then you have to click the start button at the bottom of your desktop, do a search for "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2" and a few RCT2 folders will pop up. click on each foler till you find the one that has the "Data folder" in it. Click on the data folder to open it, then put custom 1 & custom 2 in there. Then click out of all the folder, put on your RCT2 game, then when you have a ride, click on the music selection thing and on the tab that lists all the musics you can coose from, at the very bottom of the list should be your two custom files.

If you need any help with this, PM me .

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

However if you are going to record over any song files with the game here is what you do. Click start, search "Roller Coaster Tycoon 2", click on the same file with the data folder in it, and click on that data folder.

drag some of the css files out onto the desktop and see what songs they are. Then before you recorde any of them, copy each file, and paste the copy somewhere safe on your computer incase you need them for back up.

Then when you find a song you want to record over (some files you can record over and some you can not, the pirates song you can record over) open up that file with any Wav file recorder you may have (when you go to open the music file with wave recorder, you will not see it listed under wave files, so you need to click the pull-down tab and click "All Files"). Then when you open up the RCT music and record over it with the song you want, click file save, close the file, put it back into the RCT2 data file, close that all up and turn on the game.

NOTE: Some RCT2 music files, will not work correctly if you record over them and would then cause the game not to load correctly. That is where the copied back up files of the songs come into play.

Lets say if you recorded over css46, and the game will not load correctly because you did so, open up the RCT2 data file, remove that newly recorded css46 file, and replace it with the css46 copy of the original file that you should have made, then put that back into the RCT2 data file, and the game should load and work perfectly again.