• The Pumpkin King

Sad For Star Wars Fans: Thoughts on Disney canceling Star Wars 1313?

STAR WARS 1313 CANCELLED?! (ESCAPIST NEWS NOW) - YouTube

I am disappointed personally, I was looking forward to it.

Re: For Star Wars Fans: Thoughts on Disney canceling Star Wars 1313?

I was sad when I heard about the cancellation. However rumor suggests the game would have touched on topics which IMO are a bit inappropriate for Star Wars. Also it sounds like the game had a lot of issues and random executive choices, the most recent being George making the developers change the main character to Boba Fett for no real reason.

However the true loss is Star Wars First Assault. I miss it already.

• The Pumpkin King

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    I was sad when I heard about the cancellation. However rumor suggests the game would have touched on topics which IMO are a bit inappropriate for Star Wars. Also it sounds like the game had a lot of issues and random executive choices, the most recent being George making the developers change the main character to Boba Fett for no real reason.

However the true loss is Star Wars First Assault. I miss it already.
    I can agree with the rest of everything except for this.

Star Wars the old republic has Twi'lek strippers (Not fully naked of course)

But I mean, Star Wars is a place where there is intelligent beings, so of course there will be inappropriate actions going on. Star Wars 1313 could have been Rated M.

I personally don't see why Star Wars can't have more mature content. I would love to see darker stories and other such things that are part of the star wars universe. Because I'm sure not everything in star wars is airy fairy happy go lucky charms.

Come to think off it, it all depends on how mature content is presented. There are things which are TMI which I do not enjoy and cause me turn a game off. However I have played quiet a few M-Rated games such as Skyrim, Halo, and Call of Duty; all of which pack more violence than anything 1313 would probably bring to the table.

One example of TMI for me is Mass Effect, it looks like a great game; however I don't want to play it because I don't want to see some scenes in it. Yet, when I watched my roommate play a segment of Mass Effect (in a part which lacked the TMI segments) I noticed the game handled characters using swear words better than any game I had ever seen. It seemed as if the swear words were part of the story, while it seems most games shoe horn them in for shock value. I think if done right Star Wars could handle some of this stuff too, look at the content Republic Commando or the KOTOR games as games which have already touched dark subjects.

So that is the thing about 1313; had it handled the mature content without a) being something I feel is against my moral values, and b) bring the mature content in for solid story purposes and not shock value; I would have been fine with the game and I think many Star Wars fans would have been happy to see it. If anything seeing the dark underbelly could have helped contrast with the more moral citizens of Star Wars we are used to, creating a better sense of purpose for the good guy's causes.

However I think the reason I figured the game could be to inappropriate is because Star Wars is rather family friendly compared to CoD or Skyrim. I think some elements of 1313 could have been a brand issue for Disney, although as you mentioned Star Wars has already touched on elements which are more mature than Disney's core audience.

However it is most likely the exec's who shut down 1313 were not thinking about "is this game appropriate for our brand image," but more likely "how will we make the most money?" That is what is sad about the closure of LucasArts, it seemed as if money, not art; was the motive to close the game studio. I don't hate them for it, Disney and Lucas are for profit groups, and if they did not make the right fiscal choices we could lose them both. Still, I very much miss LucasArts and mourn the potential for great games which was lost when it closed.

At least The Clone Wars payed a visit to level 1313 before the game was canceled. But then Clone Wars was soon caned itself...