Main Street, Western Disneyland, and Splash Mountain Recreated in Left 4 Dead 2

If anyone knows me as a close online friend, you would know that I love my games, especially PC games, and to be more specific than that, Steam Games. For those who don't know, Steam is a store/app where you can purchase PC games, download them onto your computer, and then play them straight away. It is also a place to find and chat with friends, make forum posts, vote for new indie games to be released, and with a recent addition, mod games. Modding games happens through 'The Steam Workshop'. How the Workshop works is that there are certain games that have applied to be on the workshop, open for modders to use. Modders create mods for the games, ranging from different skins to better quality textures, new game elements, and in some cases, whole game levels themselves. A person 'Subscribes' to these Workshop items, and the next time the person opens up that game, the mod is immediately downloaded, and then updated regularly as long as the person is still subscribed to the item.

Anyways, while browsing the Left 4 Dead 2 Workshop to see if anything fancied my mind (L4D2 is a zombie survival game where a team of 4 players must travel from point A to B in a campaign The player encounters zombies and other obstacles in their way as they travel). I came across this while browsing recently, and I knew I just had to share it with you guys: Journey to Splash Mountain.

The Survivors head to Disneyland after hearing it is a military evacuation zone, only to find it completely overrun by zombies. Might as well have some fun while we're here.
    In the campaign, you work your way from the entrance of Disneyland, up Main Street USA, take a left into Adventureland, head on through New Orleans Square, ride Splash Mountain, and make a final escape of the park in Critter Country, all the while making detours into the nooks and crannies of the park, and even some of the park's most famous ride's queues.

I subscribed and played the campaign, and I must say, I absolutely love it. On a Disneyland level, the park is very nicely recreated. There were some liberties taken for development or gameplay purposes, but for the most part it is very accurate. If one has been to Disneyland many times, like me, you'll know the map by the back of your hand. True, you have to take detours backstage because the main walkways are blocked, but still, by the back of your hand. And on a gamer level, the map itself is pretty good. If one has used the map editing software before (Source SDK and Hammer), you will know how difficult it is to create a simple map, let alone something as complicated as this, so that adds a level of appreciation.

There are only two minor complaints I have about the map. For one thing, some of the textures don't look too spot on, and can be a bit flat, and some of the objects look a little blocky and could some improvement. And the campaign as a whole was a bit easy, even on the most advance difficulty the game offers. The zombies are a bit far in between, even when a bunch come swarming at you which happens seldomly. And the ending climax I don't like that much mostly because of the mechanic. How it usually happens in a L4D game is that you have to wait for rescue to arrive, and you must survive until then. In L4D2, they introduced two new climaxes; where you have to travel to the rescue vehicle without dying along the way, or having to fuel up the escape vehicle with gas cans scattered around the map. The campaign's climax is like the latter with the gas cans, but has a small twist to it. While innovative, I still really dislike that kind of climax.

So if you too own Left 4 Dead 2 and are a Disneyland fan, I recommend you subscribe to this Workshop item, which can be found here (You need all 5 parts for the campaign to work properly):

Steam Workshop :: Journey to Splash Mountain collection

If you prefer the more traditional way of downloading maps, check out this link instead:

Journey to Splash Mountain (L4D2) - L4Dmaps.com

And if you don't own Left 4 Dead 2, but want to see the map regardless, I recommend watching a Let's Play on Youtube, which there are already a few of them.

I hope you enjoy this, because I surely did enjoy trying it out myself!

(Spoilers ahead. Skip over this if you want to avoid spoilers)

For anyone who has tried out the map, you will know that the only attractions you can really *experience* are Splash Mountain and the Enchanted Tiki Room. The Jungle Cruise is blocked by a capsized boat, Indiana Jones Adventure is just a means of translating to the backstage area, and then into New Orleans Square, Pirates is completely inaccessible altogether, The Haunted Mansion goes all the way up to the loading station, and Winnie the Pooh is all boarded up. But there is no need to fear, for there are other versions of those attractions available out there created by different games.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye is available as a seperate campaign for Left 4 Dead 2 and Garry's Mod:

Pirates of the Caribbean is available as a seperate campaign for Left 4 Dead 2:

The Haunted Mansion is available for Garry's Mod (Only as the WDW version though. Sorry):

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• No Disassemble!

Re: Main Street, Western Disneyland, and Splash Mountain Recreated in Left 4 Dead 2

Thanks for sharing all the different campaigns! I'm postponing my BF4 pre-order to get a copy of L4D2 this evening.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.