Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• keep moving forward...

dang nintendo with theyre dang...

i cant believe this... ive had my nintendo DS since the day it came out a little more then a year ago and now therye releasing a smaller, lighter, cooler version of it... why does nintendo do this... release a syestem then keep makeing improved versions so a lot of the people who already have one buy it again... why must they torture us!?!?!?!?!?!?

• Huh?

Re: dang nintendo with theyre dang...

Got a thread over in MC Gamers on this... you should join.

Me? I'm a console collector, so I don't mind too much. But I'll probably get it once they release an LE version of it.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by migitmouse88
    i cant believe this... ive had my nintendo DS since the day it came out a little more then a year ago and now therye releasing a smaller, lighter, cooler version of it... why does nintendo do this... release a syestem then keep makeing improved versions so a lot of the people who already have one buy it again... why must they torture us!?!?!?!?!?!?
    As long as people keep buying multiple versions of the same system with minor improvements, Nintendo will continue to sell them. At some point, you just have to step out of the fanboy mode and just say no. Of course, with most Nintendo fans, that's a moot point.

It does look nice though.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    As long as people keep buying multiple versions of the same system with minor improvements, Nintendo will continue to sell them. At some point, you just have to step out of the fanboy mode and just say no. Of course, with most Nintendo fans, that's a moot point.

It does look nice though.
    Same can be said about most Disney fans.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Same can be said about most Disney fans.
    True, but Disney movies don't cost about $100 a pop. And even if they were, at least we're getting a lot of bonus material!

• Huh?

True, but Disney movies don't cost about $100 a pop. And even if they were, at least we're getting a lot of bonus material!
    No, but the Disneyland events do cost $100+ and in the end, they're never topping the Mr. Toad event and each time they repeat the event, everybody likes the one before it even better. And so, therefore, they always go again the next year they have it.
    -Tim

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    No, but the Disneyland events do cost $100+ and in the end, they're never topping the Mr. Toad event and each time they repeat the event, everybody likes the one before it even better. And so, therefore, they always go again the next year they have it.
    I don't know anyone who goes to those, but I know a lot of people who will buy a new DS...

• Huh?

I don't know anyone who goes to those, but I know a lot of people who will buy a new DS...
    I would if I could!

But, at least they did a wise thing with the Gameboy Micro: planned to not be a continued line. Just an alternative for those that might want it. If I get one, probably either the 20th anniversary or the Final Fantasy one...
    -Tim

• враг народа

Blog Entries

What's amazing about Nintendo is that they have been able to keep doing this. They spin each "new" thing as something radically different and people just buy them. It's just amazes me the continued confidence people have in the company. I think Sega of America killed itself with its continued obcession with the Genesis.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    I think Sega of America killed itself with its continued obcession with the Genesis.
    Sega dies due to the Dreamcast. It was too ahead of it's time, and no one saw it as a serious competitor.
    -Monorail Man

• Huh?

Love the Dreamcast.... it was a great console for emulation.
    -Tim

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    Sega dies due to the Dreamcast. It was too ahead of it's time, and no one saw it as a serious competitor.
    It wasn't considered a competitor because Sega's internal structure destroyed itself. The split between Sega of America and Sega of Japan became too deep, and as a result consumers lost confidence.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    It wasn't considered a competitor because Sega's internal structure destroyed itself. The split between Sega of America and Sega of Japan became too deep, and as a result consumers lost confidence.
    I can foresee a similar thing happening at Nintendo. Nintendo is HUGE in Japan. In the states, it barely occupies 7% of the market...

I can foresee a similar thing happening at Nintendo. Nintendo is HUGE in Japan. In the states, it barely occupies 7% of the market...
    not true

it's still behind Microsoft by a negligable amount for now (both lag behind Sony by a huge amount though)

if you put in the handheld market though the Gameboy still tops the sales of anything dispite the fact that it's pretty much outdated (probably due to cheap games and cheap systems)

in Japan the DS is ruling (by huge margins heck when they sold out of DS's rumor has it some stores started charging PSP type prices for DS's) all in America it's neck and neck with the PSP right now

of course the handheld market has always been Nintendo's forte the console market has been a struggle for a while but who knows how the rev will do

as far as this new version goes I'm going to say it's a great deal for those who don't already own a DS and are buying it for all the new games that have been released (as well as all the releases planned for this year)

but it's not really that much of improvement to make those who already own one get another it's not too much smaller and doesn't really have new features (not quite the jump that the SP was over the origional advanced)

as far as strategy's go I think Nintendo's strategy on these products is quite a bit different then Sega's which were more of confusing add ons that developers couldn't really support, Nintendo seems to concentrait on creating new style but using the same hardware

it kinda makes it hard on early adopters though

I'm anticipating Nintendo to release another interation near the end just like the micro and I might consider getting that one if it upgrades alot

the thing to remeber with the DS especialy is the fact that your WiFi info is stored partialy on the system so that if you switch systems you'll loose your Mario Kart Wifi scores and have to redo all your friend codes (Animal Crossing requires your friends to change your ID)

I would say though that as the most profitable company on the market Nintendo probably won't be going the way of Sega for a while at least

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    not true
    And where's your basis for that conclusion? Nintendo holds a 7% share of the entire video game market. Handhelds included. This number is the official NPD number and is common knowledge among any video game retailer. I work for Blockbuster, and we just received all the numbers since the fiscal cycle switched. Nintendo in America is on life support with injections of Japanese fanboy-ism.

Handhelds historically appeal to two groups of people. Nintendo fans, and children. Sony has tried to embrace a market that Nintendo has rejected for nearly a decade... The adult market. I would definitely call the PSP a success in terms of versatility and as a media player, but it's not consistent enough with its game output. There are too many of the same genre, and not enough killer apps. The PSP is still trying to figure out what it's best at. A flaw that is costing it in Japan.

However, the handheld market IS changing. The PSP has taken the lead in sales as of December.

PSP: 1,120,000
    Nintendo DS: 1,070,000

The PSP already has 28% of the handheld market share. While I am sure that the new DS will have a nice boost in sales from people feeling the constant need to double dip, the PSP should continue to grow and eventually overtake the DS. Especially when the final word is out about connectivity with the PS3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast