• RollerCoaster Tycoon 2

12 60.00%
  • RollerCoaster Tycoon 3

8 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCT2 vs. RCT3

• Circle of Ancients

RCT2 vs. RCT3

I've had RCT3 for about 5 months and I just can't seem to get into it. My computer is fast enough but the gameplay, for me leaves ALOT to be desired.

I have found myself lately going back to good old, tried and true RCT2. My disc is even getting a little scratched so instead of going and buying any RCT3 expansion packs I'm going to be getting another copy of RCT2.

Anybody else have the same thoughts???

•   
    • debating what to put here

Re: RCT2 vs. RCT3

I think both have their positive and negative aspects.

Sandbox mode is something that is sorely missing in RCT 1 and 2. The limitations of RCT 2 mean that you can never have all scenery and rides available to you at the same time. This is a major turn-off for me. I, like many others, am not in to scenario play. I just want to design theme parks. RCT3 is much more friendly in this regard.

However, unless you are playing in scenario mode in RCT3, you must have a lot of processing power to get even a medium-sized park to run smoothly.

Personally, it took me a long time before I got into RCT 3. Really, it was the ability to create custom signs and shops that got me to take a second look. There is a lot you can do with this feature, such as design the artwork for you park. This appeals to me. However, there is a somewhat steep learning curve compared to the original games that is frustrating at first. It does get easier though.

I think that all three are great games, with the first two being far more used friendly. When you outgrow them though and want to do more, RCT3 gives you a lot more flexibility.

Just my 2 cents ...
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Circle of Ancients

See but you can use the Scenario Editor in RCT2 and it's just like Sandbox mode. I love creating the scenery, etc for the parks. Granted you can't have all options at one time, but I can live with that.

The only other thing I hate is the time it takes to increase your finances in order to be able to do all you want to do.

I dunno, I guess I'm just not interested in taking the time to get into RCT3.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

See, I am all about the Scenarios. I love Goals and dislike open sandbox type parks. Talking about scenarios: I loved RCT2 for it's toughness. However, I love RCT3 for it's openness. If I want to play around (I like to make really big transportation systems), I can. In RCT2, most scenarios are so set, that I didn't have much time to screw around.

I have gotten used to the interface of RCT3, but still prefer the interface to RCT2. However, RCT3 is my main game now. However, RCT2 runs great on just about anything, so I use it for Laptop gaming (especially since tracks cary over).
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I've had RCT3 for about 5 months and I just can't seem to get into it. My computer is fast enough but the gameplay, for me leaves ALOT to be desired.

I have found myself lately going back to good old, tried and true RCT2. My disc is even getting a little scratched so instead of going and buying any RCT3 expansion packs I'm going to be getting another copy of RCT2.

Anybody else have the same thoughts???
    I never played RCT3 yet, but do plan on buying another RCT2 because my disc is getting scratched too.

• Illuminated

I bought RCT3 and was largely dissapointed. I don't understand why they changed the entire interface to 3D when 2D was just fine. They should of just made a RCT3 with the same interface as 1 & 2 but crammed alot more stuff in. Also I one day hope to see a feature where you can create your own parades and recreate stuff light Disney's Main Street Electical Parade and also have something where you can create your own scenery so you can build a huge white sphere and call it Spaceship Earth! *sigh*
    "I never miss the chance to have sex or appear on television."

•   
    • debating what to put here

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Poof
    I bought RCT3 and was largely dissapointed. I don't understand why they changed the entire interface to 3D when 2D was just fine. They should of just made a RCT3 with the same interface as 1 & 2 but crammed alot more stuff in.
    My understanding is that one the main requests they received from fans of the game was to ride the rides. I'm not sure how you would do that in 2D.

Also, I think the limitations of RCT2 were such that there simply wasn't a way to "cram more stuff in".

RCT3 is a very different game and certainly takes some getting used to. Once you get the hang of it though, I find it to be much more flexable. Granted, there are things about it that I don't like but it has been improved greatly since its original release, such as the adding of tunneling. That was really bugging me at first.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
    - Satchel Paige

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I personally think that RCT 2 is better, RCT3 has more realistic rides and scenery, it has realistic water, clouds, mountains, and plants. but all those kind of slow the game down, it will sometimes freeze in a certain spot for a few seconds, exspecially when a firework show is going on. so I would say RCT 2 is better, but RCT3 is a little funner I think minus the freezes and hour-long loading.

• Illuminated

Hmmm, I guess your right Motorboat. After all you can't have everything can you. All that stuff about tunneling annoyed me aswell but it seems that it's been sorted out now so I guess i'll give RCT3 another try.
    "I never miss the chance to have sex or appear on television."

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Poof
    I bought RCT3 and was largely dissapointed...
    You know, I was too. But since I have a Mac, I didn't have much choice but to play RCT3.
    I borrowed a friend's PC laptop and tried RCT2 and liked it. I really liked the Six Flags rides. It's too bad that they didn't include them in RCT3.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I would have liked for them to put the night feature and fireworks feature in RCT2. Sure you wouldn't see the fireworks from the ground, but it would still be pretty fun. I am not much of a parade guy, but having the option to make a parade would be cool too. And mybe the option to design your own entertainers.

• horsin' around!

DW...did u ever clean out your mailbox? :-)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

yup

• horsin' around!

okay

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I bought RCT3 the minute it hit the shelves and loved it right out of the box. That is untill I had about 5 coasters running in the park. Then my system sort of hit a wall and I couldn't get the game to run. I tried to pay a few more times and then put RCT on my bookshelf and didn't play again until Christmas of this year, when I got my new computer. I now have both expansion packs and the game runs great, even in my huge parks.

I'm so comfortable with the interface and user controls for RCT3 that I could never go back to RCT2. It is so easy to rotate the screen and zoom in and out on 3 that I just couldn't imagine giving them up.

You'll just have to upgrade your hardware. Admit it, you were looking for an excuse to do so anyway.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast