• The Unknown Princess

Sources: Sony PlayStation 3 launch delayed until August

Delay of PS3 until August

Sony will postpone the scheduled launch for its PlayStation 3 (PS3) game console from this spring until August, as the company is facing several issues with its production plans, especially concerning its inclusion of a Blu-ray Disc drive in the PS3, according to Sony’s Taiwan-based contract manufacturers.

According to Sony’s company spokesperson, although the AACS LA (advanced access content system license administrator) was expected to finalize its copy protection specifications this month, members of the Blu-ray Disc were not satisfied with the level of copy protection and the release of the standard has been postponed.

However, Reuters reported on February 17 that a temporary agreement has been reached, clearing the way for the release of the blue-laser drives. Though a temporary agreement has been reached, backers of the Blu-ray Disc format do not expect products to hit the market until this summer.
    Do you think it will be delayed? How much do you think that would drive the demand of the console?
    Always keep smiling because you never know who is falling in love with it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the Disney Ohana

--------------------------------------------------------

• Minion

Re: Sources: Sony PlayStation 3 launch delayed until August

Ahhh !!!

I knew they were going to delay it. I'd rather see it delayed than be rished and crap out like the 360's. As for driving demand... PS3 is already in a strong lead as far as Next Gen systems are concerned. In just about every non-biased survey, more people are likely to buy a PS3 than any other system..

Start saving your money! That Blu-Ray player is gonna make the system expensive!

• is confuzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    ...Start saving your money! That Blu-Ray player is gonna make the system expensive!
    I have a question about Blu-Ray. If the PS3 is going to have a Blu-ray player, will the PS3 cost more than a Blu-Ray player? or will it be the other way around?

an august launch seems kinda dumb to me

I'm thinking we'll probably see a Christmas Launch for this system since that is the most logical time to release it (especialy if your not launching in spring)

they'll get better hype around Christmas anyways

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland dude
    I have a question about Blu-Ray. If the PS3 is going to have a Blu-ray player, will the PS3 cost more than a Blu-Ray player? or will it be the other way around?
    It will definitely cost more as far as production goes. I suspect the price to float around $500 for the consumer. Sony's going to be eating a lot of costs...

The funny thing is... if Blu-Ray becomes the official new format for movies, it will for games too. That means that when Microsoft releases its next system, it may have to use Blu-Ray discs. Since Blu-Ray is a Sony product, Sony would be getting a little of every game Microsoft releases!

Crazy...

• Just this guy......

It will definitely cost more as far as production goes. I suspect the price to float around $500 for the consumer. Sony's going to be eating a lot of costs...

The funny thing is... if Blu-Ray becomes the official new format for movies, it will for games too. That means that when Microsoft releases its next system, it may have to use Blu-Ray discs. Since Blu-Ray is a Sony product, Sony would be getting a little of every game Microsoft releases!

Crazy...
    $500 for a playstation?????? I'll pass if the price is that high.

Looking at the cost of Blu-Ray, I'm not sure that the slightly higher quality is worth the price they have been talking about.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

mmmmm- PRICEY! I am "making" (according to him) my husband wait for the PS3 because I think the XBOX 360 is a waste of money. As expensive as this system will be, he is going to have to wait until Christmas I think before he gets one. He might divorce me if I tell him no again, but I agree that they shouldn't release it until its ready.

Does anyone know what the game lineup is going to look like? Will it be compatible with PS2 games? Hopefully a later release date will result in more and better games to go with the system.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Vehicle rotating backward

PS3 is already in a strong lead as far as Next Gen systems are concerned. In just about every non-biased survey, more people are likely to buy a PS3 than any other system..
    Yes, but nobody answering that survey has used a PS3. They have nothing but hype. And Ken Kutaragi and Co are great about releasing all kinds of incredible hype. Remember the claims about the PS2 making Pixar quality graphics in your living room? Remember all the fireworks about how the PSP was "the most beatiful thing in the world?"

So yes, the outlandish spin and promises sounds a lot better to people than the things they already have, what's new? Most people are expecting PS3 to be "PS2 with a lot of extra Pretty Stuff" at least and that spin they're getting from Sony at most.

Yes, every company makes ridiculous spin (Xbox 360 games will make you forget you're in your living room and will take you into a dreamworld! Peter Moore said so!) but market research based off spin is pretty, uh, unreliable.

Since Blu-Ray is a Sony product, Sony would be getting a little of every game Microsoft releases!
    This always has been the case with DVDs, Sony is a founding member of the DVD Consortium. However, just because something is the new format for video players, does not necessarily make it the next big thing for data.

I know that for some reason you're really jonesin' for Blu-Ray, because of our last discussions on this topic, but there are other alternatives too. And I'll say it again: Nobody has a problem maxing out DVD9s right now. Remember when RPGs spanned 4 CD-ROMs? That hasn't happened with DVDs yet, so almost nobody has had a problem fitting what they can do onto one disc, and anyone that does has certainly fit it onto two, and those cases are really rare.

The most I can see Blu-Ray doing at the moment, perhaps, is that Final Fantasy games can feel even more like a movie and less like an interactive game with all that space to fill up with FMVs that you can't control. *gag*

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    $500 for a playstation?????? I'll pass if the price is that high.

Looking at the cost of Blu-Ray, I'm not sure that the slightly higher quality is worth the price they have been talking about.
    But a bluray player will be around $800, so you actually save.
    And as far as the 360 being crap, thats total bull, I have one and it rules, I will get a ps3 as well, since it will be awesome too!!! and I cant wait to watch a bluray movie in 1080p.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Yes, but nobody answering that survey has used a PS3. They have nothing but hype. And Ken Kutaragi and Co are great about releasing all kinds of incredible hype. Remember the claims about the PS2 making Pixar quality graphics in your living room? Remember all the fireworks about how the PSP was "the most beatiful thing in the world?"
    True about the PS2 Pixar quality images, but the rest of the logic is sketchy... Take the PSP for instance... Absolutely freaking gorgeous. Play Ridge Racer on the level with the carnival/Ferris wheel with the fireworks going off in the sky... I crashed my car looking at the backgrounds!
    As for the PS3... One word. MGS4. Anyone who's seen the video from the Tokyo Game Convention cannot deny the beauty of the PS3. Hideo was actually INTERACTING with the demo, showing that the graphics were running in real time. The 360 hasn't come close to matching the quality images shown in that demo. Seeing is definitely believing folks...

So yes, the outlandish spin and promises sounds a lot better to people than the things they already have, what's new? Most people are expecting PS3 to be "PS2 with a lot of extra Pretty Stuff" at least and that spin they're getting from Sony at most.
    What? Perhaps you should head on over to IGN's PS3 section...

Yes, every company makes ridiculous spin (Xbox 360 games will make you forget you're in your living room and will take you into a dreamworld! Peter Moore said so!) but market research based off spin is pretty, uh, unreliable.
    Exactly, which is why I go with numbers. Sony has been the most consistent for two generations. They have sold more systems and have more variety than Nintendo and Microsoft. Why wouldn't the same happen for the PS3? Especially when Sony has more third party developers? Nintendo is flip flopping between being a game only company, a trendy company, and a NOOB company, and Microsoft can no longer claim the title of having the most powerful console. All the while Sony has almost a year to study the 360, and has the benefit of playing Blu-Ray discs out of the box...

This always has been the case with DVDs, Sony is a founding member of the DVD Consortium. However, just because something is the new format for video players, does not necessarily make it the next big thing for data.
    I work for Blockbuster and as a manager, I spend a lot of time researching the video industry. Believe me when I say Blu-Ray is the next format. There is no evidence to deny it. Even HD-DVD affiliates have begun idling the fence or switched over entirely.

I know that for some reason you're really jonesin' for Blu-Ray, because of our last discussions on this topic, but there are other alternatives too. And I'll say it again: Nobody has a problem maxing out DVD9s right now. Remember when RPGs spanned 4 CD-ROMs? That hasn't happened with DVDs yet, so almost nobody has had a problem fitting what they can do onto one disc, and anyone that does has certainly fit it onto two, and those cases are really rare.
    More space means more space to store information. If a console takes advantage of that, that allows us to see games with higher polygon counts and more detailed environments...