Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Sony Business Blow out....

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    All the more reason not to buy a 360. There are no must have games, and no must have games have been announced.
    No, go play Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and try again.

And aside from MGS4, all huge PS3 games are about as "confirmed" as Halo 3.

Nintendo dropped the ball by not being consistant with videogame outputs. The PS1 was releasing over 10 games a month. The N64 was more like 10 every 3. Then they ignored the largest demographic (all the people that grew up on Nintendo) by making games that appealed to kids...
    Nintendo had an incredibly poor relationship with third parties, setting all kind of rules and expecting anyone to want to still make a game with them just because they were Nintendo. That's what bit them in the butt.

Third-parties are doing business with Sony, but they may be wishing they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    According to the latest issue of the official Playstation magazine, the PS3 will not be above $399.99.
    Pure baloney considering the price of the optical drive. Also, that magazine wasn't printed with the knowledge about the hard drive that was given to the press a few days ago.

All that tech and the optical drive were expensive enough already, then throw an HD on top of it.

All reports are showing that the PS3 will be the cheapest Blue-Ray player on the market.
    Standalone Blu-Ray players will start at $700. If you haven't noticed, however, DVD players are now much cheaper than PS2s, so as history will have shown us, standalones will reach the price of the "everyday Joe" before PS3 will.

Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD too while we're at it) is not even really likely to take off as a movie format until some time well after it's on shelves. Customers need an HDTV to see the difference from DVD, which will hinder Blu-Ray sales until those price drops at least, anyway. VHS to DVD, you could see the difference even on a crummy set. Here, no.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 03-18-2006 at 09:47 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    No, go play Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and try again.

I'm sorry. One game is worthy of buying. Everyone who spent 400+ on a new defect heavy system, you know have ONE game that the general gaming industry considers to be next gen.

A few days ago, the PS3 wasn't confirmed. What was the point behind that?

Nintendo had an incredibly poor relationship with third parties, setting all kind of rules and expecting anyone to want to still make a game with them just because they were Nintendo. That's what bit them in the butt.
    Like I said, they weren't releasing enough games.

Third-parties are doing business with Sony, but they may be wishing they weren't.
    Who told you that?

• Huh?

Although, in a way, I don't blame them... look at how many third party craptastic titles are released for Playstations all the time...

Not saying that Nintendo is lacking some. But at least they're making it a bit difficult for third parties in order for them to embrace as much of what their consoles are capable of instead of just cheapening out all the time.

I'm sure that PS2 online would've been more worth it if Sony was a little harder on third parties. (As well as being a little harder on themselves.)
    -Tim

• I am EvilHomer

The Springfield nuclear power plant sector 7G

I thought Devil may cry 4 and Resident Evil 5 were in development for the PS3?
    "Can't sleep, Clowns will eat me...Can't sleep Clowns will eat me...Can't sleep Clowns will eat me..."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer
    I thought Devil may cry 4 and Resident Evil 5 were in development for the PS3?
    There are a lot of titles in development, but we are talking about "confirmed" titles.

Everyone who spent 400+ on a new defect heavy system
    Just like everyone who will spend $600+ dollars on a new defect heavy system down the road?

There really ought to be some sort of law that you can only rag on the 360 defects if you're a Nintendo backer, since the Playstation has had so many issues and problems that the term "DREs" (Disc Read Errors) has become a gamer catchphrase by it's sheer number of problems.

Really, if the PS2 shows anything, it shows that you can have even MORE defects than the 360 does (which are located in the big but replaceable power supply) and still sell a billion.

Sony seriously needs to do more QA of their systems, and I hope pushing back to November will give them that.

you know have ONE game that the general gaming industry considers to be next gen.
    You said was worth buying, now you're saying is "next gen." There's more than that if you're looking for something that looks next gen. Fight Night, PGR3, DOA4. Yes, games that were developed towards lower-spec hardware like Burnout and Gun and most sports games won't look as flashy. Is that big news? The same was true of sports games when the PS2 first came out.

A few days ago, the PS3 wasn't confirmed. What was the point behind that?
    What the heck? It's been confirmed since E3, it's LAUNCH was the only thing confirmed here. We didn't know when it was going to appear, but we knew it was actually there. Much like the Subs at Disneyland right now, we don't know when they're going to open the gates, but we know they're not going to just leave it empty like that.

Who told you that?
    I just gave you some examples, but a recent one has appeared where Sony kept developers in the dark just as much as the rest of us as to the launch specifics, and even they supported the idea that Sony was blowing smoke with all their Spring release garbage.

Bloomberg chatted with Namco Bandai Holdings president Takeo Takasu about the machine, and his comments weren't surprising. "Without any announcements so far, the spring release is impossible," he said. "We are developing titles for PlayStation 3, but the release of the games depends on the timing of the hardware."
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148656&did=1

If they really knew what they were doing here, why even make the spring announcement they couldn't keep? And if it was just to remain competitive, to throw off 360's launch by convincing everyone to wait "Just a few months" for PS3, then why not tell developers so that they aren't actually panicing to have something done by the spring?

The last manufacturer to tug developers around by the necks like that was Sega, with their suprise early launch of Saturn. We all saw how much the third-parties enjoyed that.

Here's more proof of how little they have it together. Phil Harisson at GDC just now:
    "It is a key feature of the platform. Developers are designing their games to support a hard drive. Every single game will support a hard drive."

But, he refused to actually commit to saying a hard drive will be included.

Furthermore, there's only been a few demos, one game I don't know about, one Ratchet & Clank, and Warhawk dogfighting. At this point, Warhawk is the only thing that looks interesting to me as a person who does not like Metal Gear. Although 360 only has a couple games worth playing at current launch, it did have a bunch of games in development already at E3 time, a few of them even playable of dev kits (namely the Full Auto demo I saw being played on G4 during E3 last year.) PS3 will probably be behind at this point because they've jerked their third parties around with this launch date nonsense.

• Minion

[quote=MickeyMania]Just like everyone who will spend $600+ dollars on a new defect heavy system down the road?

There really ought to be some sort of law that you can only rag on the 360 defects if you're a Nintendo backer, since the Playstation has had so many issues and problems that the term "DREs" (Disc Read Errors) has become a gamer catchphrase by it's sheer number of problems.[/qupte]

PS2 Launch Issues:
    Disc Read Error/laser problems

X360 Launch Issues:
    Xbox Live crashes
    Disc Scractching rendering game unplayable
    Random error messages
    Overheating
    Freezing
    Onscreen Artifacts

Really, if the PS2 shows anything, it shows that you can have even MORE defects than the 360 does (which are located in the big but replaceable power supply) and still sell a billion.
    ? The recall was for the skinny PS2's. They haven't sold a million yet.

Sony seriously needs to do more QA of their systems, and I hope pushing back to November will give them that.
    That's what E3 is for.

You said was worth buying, now you're saying is "next gen." There's more than that if you're looking for something that looks next gen. Fight Night, PGR3, DOA4. Yes, games that were developed towards lower-spec hardware like Burnout and Gun and most sports games won't look as flashy. Is that big news? The same was true of sports games when the PS2 first came out.
    Next gen. is a reference to the overall experience. Not just graphics. Read the IGN review for further details.

• Minion

Here's more proof of how little they have it together. Phil Harisson at GDC just now:
    "It is a key feature of the platform. Developers are designing their games to support a hard drive. Every single game will support a hard drive."

But, he refused to actually commit to saying a hard drive will be included.
    The hard drive was already confirmed at the Business Conference...

Furthermore, there's only been a few demos, one game I don't know about, one Ratchet & Clank, and Warhawk dogfighting. At this point, Warhawk is the only thing that looks interesting to me as a person who does not like Metal Gear. Although 360 only has a couple games worth playing at current launch, it did have a bunch of games in development already at E3 time, a few of them even playable of dev kits (namely the Full Auto demo I saw being played on G4 during E3 last year.) PS3 will probably be behind at this point because they've jerked their third parties around with this launch date nonsense.
    Who cares about a bunch of playable demos? Especially when they suck? When I was at E3 the only 360 game I was impressed by was Need For Speed: Most Wanted. Everything else looked like nice XBOX1 games. I'm sure Sony will have plenty of demos ready, but honestly, I want quality over quantity.

Disc Scractching rendering game unplayable
    Random error messages
    PS2 has had both of these in it's lifetime, too. The former has a lot more to do with the vertical arrangement in both cases.

? The recall was for the skinny PS2's. They haven't sold a million yet.
    I don't know if you've been paying attention, but the PS2, no matter what generation or whether it's fat or skinny, has had one of the worst reliability track records of any gaming hardware in history. There's some people who are on their third.

Next gen. is a reference to the overall experience. Not just graphics. Read the IGN review for further details.
    So then Rev is the most next gen system?

Who cares about a bunch of playable demos? Especially when they suck?
    Well, considering if you're going to buy one at launch, you should be concerned because it gives you a chance to see what's closest to playable. With this stupid spring announcement that even many third parties thought was a bald-face lie, that then the change to winter, everyone's development roadmap is at a different place. Some games are practically ready to go right now, others may be now pushed back.

the only 360 game I was impressed by was Need For Speed: Most Wanted. Everything else looked like nice XBOX1 games.
    I thought next-gen was more than graphics?

I'm sure Sony will have plenty of demos ready, but honestly, I want quality over quantity.
    Well that's what I said. And so far I don't see anything since I'm not interested in playing Geriatric Solid Snake and most everything else put out by Sony thus far has been smoke and mirrors.

• Minion

PS2 has had both of these in it's lifetime, too. The former has a lot more to do with the vertical arrangement in both cases.

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but the PS2, no matter what generation or whether it's fat or skinny, has had one of the worst reliability track records of any gaming hardware in history. There's some people who are on their third.
    I'm not denying that, but the 360 still has a wider range of problems than the PS2. And even the original Xbox had problems reading DVDs...

So then Rev is the most next gen system?
    I don't understand what you mean.

Well, considering if you're going to buy one at launch, you should be concerned because it gives you a chance to see what's closest to playable. With this stupid spring announcement that even many third parties thought was a bald-face lie, that then the change to winter, everyone's development roadmap is at a different place. Some games are practically ready to go right now, others may be now pushed back.
    I'm not buying one at launch. Chances are, if you're buyig one at launch, you don't really care about quality anyway. Just ask all the people that overpaid for defective 360's with only one good game.

I thought next-gen was more than graphics?
    At E3, you're playing a demo. It's all about the graphics. When the system is available for purchase, I want to be more than just impressed by the way it looks. And since Microsoft when on for days about how good the graphics were going to be in the 360, I, like many other E3 goers were disappointed.

Well that's what I said. And so far I don't see anything since I'm not interested in playing Geriatric Solid Snake and most everything else put out by Sony thus far has been smoke and mirrors.
    Not quite... It looks like most of the "tech demos" shown at GDC were in Real Time... And guests could go and control them.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148958

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12