Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Sony Business Blow out....

The King is back...

Quote Originally Posted by 1up.com
    Sony held its PlayStation Business conference in Tokyo today and 1UP's correspondents were on hand to report back all of the details.

Ken Kutaragi, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, took center stage and delivered the big news: PlayStation 3 will not release until November 2006, as previously reported earlier today.

However, he also revealed that Sony plans to release the system in Japan, North America, and Europe simultaneously this November. That's right, the PS3 will be in stores before the end of the year - within the first 10 days of November, to be exact. According to the company, it will have a production capacity of 1 million units a month to attempt to keep up with the demand. 6 million units are estimated to be shipped by the end of March 2007.

Kutaragi stated that the purpose of today's meeting was not to show any new hardware or games, it was to offer an apology. He wanted to give the world an update since it was now Spring. He stated issues over the finalization of copy protection technology related to the Blu-ray disc drive were the cause for the delay. But Kutaragi also mentioned that the delay would allow for the latest HDMI (high-definition connection, essentially) support.

He did offer some tantalizing new details about the system, though. PS3 will include a 60GB hard drive (which is upgradeable) with Linux preinstalled. According to Kutaragi, developers should create games for the PS3 with assumption the hard drive will be present in the system (his slide was titled "HDD is required!"). He also revealed that the system will be backwards compatible with the entire PS1 and PS2 libraries, and that games will be displayed in high-definition resolutions when played on the PS3 (similar to what the Xbox 360 does with compatible Xbox 1 titles).

Kutaragi described the shift to the PS3 as a move into the 4D world. The 8/16 bit era with 2D sprites was refered to as "Plane", the PS1/PS2 era with 3D graphics was described as "Space", and the PS3 era was with its, according to him, 4D worlds, was described as "Live" (Space + Time). Some of this concept is surely lost in translation. http://www.1up.com/media?id=2756739 http://www.1up.com/media?id=2756741
    (Images courtesy of Watch Impress)

Kutaragi also revealed details on the online service Sony is planning for the PS3 called the "PlayStation Network Platform". Beginning at the system's November launch, the service will feature such functions as matchmaking, messaging, rankings, friends lists, voice/video chat, in-game shopping, and game downloads to the hard drive. Best of all, the service will be free (as of right now, it isn't clear on whether there will also be a paid tier of service similar to Xbox Live Gold). The service will also allow for publishers to connect their own game servers. Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), makers of such online games as EverQuest and Star Wars Galaxies, is provided the infrastructure and GameSpy is providing tools and middleware. Kutaragi also mentioned that the PS3 can serve as a wireless access point for the PSP.

Final PS3 controllers and development kits are going to be sent to the development community by May. This will include the final specs for Cell, the final RSX graphics chip, the final Blu-ray specs, and will be at a cost close to that of a PS2 development kit.
    Kutaragi also had a few big announcements that pertained to the PSP, the most immediate being a price drop to $199 for the basic pack at the end of March in the U.S. This spring will also see a browser upgrade that will include Macromedia Flash 6.0 support. Kutaragi gave details on some later technology enhancements to look forward to this fall as well: RSS support, video and voice-over-IP, and a USB GPS receiver that will interface with new games (a version of Hot Shots Golf was mentioned for this). A PSP EyeToy camera will release in September and will feature a version of EyeToy Play and video chat.

Interestingly, Kutaragi also discussed an "E-Distribution" strategy for the PSP which will include downloading classic PS1 games to a PSP's Memory Stick. Users will be able to boot games directly off of the Memory Stick and the games will play under emulation.
    Good:

More PSP features including PS1 emulator.
    Definite PS3 launch date
    HDD included and required!
    PS3 online service
    Hi-Def and Blu-Ray support

Bad:

Worldwide launch. Sony has never had enough systems to please one region, let alone the world. And what if the first batch has technical problems like the 360's? There's no test region to limit defective units.

Overall:
    Sony says, "It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!"

• Huh?

Re: Sony Business Blow out....

Oooo... Linux preinstalled?! Nice.

Not surprising, tho. Sony's been a big supporter with their official linux pack for PS2 for a long time now.
    -Tim

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Does this mean I could install a hacked copy of OSX onto my new PS3?
    -Monorail Man

• Huh?

No!

Linux good enough as it is.

Linux is your friend.

Linux. It's what penguins have for breakfast.

Linux. It does a body good.

Linux.
    -Tim

pretty good news for the Playstation

I like the inclusion of linux

seems like everyone is questioning Sony's ability to do a global launch

then again seeing how Microsoft managed to screw themselves over with the whole global launch thing they tried (not enough units in the US too many in Japan)

and then the DS also didn't come off to well with it's global launch either it took a few months for good games to hit in Japan and it took a year for them to reach the states

maybe companies should skip the global launch idea and just release it when they have the stock and games to actualy back up the system

Sony seems to enjoy the hype they get from having shortages though so I don't see this hurting them any

it's also good to hear that Sony is getting on board with a more cohesive online package then what was given out this past generation

if they can just make the service look streemlined I think most people will be happy

PSP PS1 downloads sound pretty interesting too but I'm curious about how they'll work I mean the PSP is lacking the L2 R2 buttons which would make it a pain to play some games (though fortionatly Megaman Legends has already been ported and thus will be aclimated to the PSP's controls) and also wouldn't it take a LONG time to download a PS1 game? I mean if they got rid of the cinemas I guess it'd be doable but otherwise it seems like it'd be annoying (I'd almost perfer the feature on the PS3 if only because at this point the PS1 is pretty much completly off the market so it'd be nice to have some downloadable access to some of those games)

the eyetoy PSP also sounds pretty darn interesting though I'm curious what they'll do with it. It's not like it's something you'd wanna set on the floor and dance in front of. Maybe it's games will be like a better version of the old Gameboy Camera or something. Video chat is a deffinate plus though

oh yeah and I'm finding the 4D comment a little strange since time has always been present in gaming

maybe texture or something would be a better word or um fuzzy? the kinda details that were there before but are now being enhanced upon

• Vehicle rotating backward

I suspect it will be some special PS3 version of Linux that works with the hardware and has certain limitations. I don't think they'll be releasing anything to allow people to run unsigned code, for instance.

I predicted the last console war with fairly good accuracy (the GameCube did better than I thought it would, but still placed #3.) This time around I think the PS3 is at the disadvantage. It's launching last and is probably only arriving this year because if they don't Nintendo will destroy their chances. They're the most traditional of the consoles, looking a lot like the original Xbox with much prettier graphics. In fact "Same ____, prettier graphics" kind of sums up the whole system.

The online service sounds like a knee-jerk response since they went out and paid GameSpy to make it for them. The DS online network had the same deal, and it doesn't work nearly as well as XBL does.

Overall, weak. There is no reason to get one of these aside from needing one to play MGS4, and only people interested in being let down by yet another MGS sequel need apply.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Overall, weak. There is no reason to get one of these aside from needing one to play MGS4, and only people interested in being let down by yet another MGS sequel need apply.
    As opposed to Halo 3

I think the PS3 has the biggest advantage. For one, they have been the leader in the industry for two generations. In almost every poll I've seen, more people planned to buy a PS3 over any other system. The Blu-Ray player also puts the system at an advantage by making it the only next gen system to play a new format out of the box.

Don't forget a stellar lineup of third party developers....

Honestly, I think the only think the 360 has over the PS3 is XBL. The PS3 Online Service sounds good on paper, but with Sony, you can't go by hype alone

• Huh?

Though, polls show that those that are buying more than one of the next gens, 85% of them will be buying a Revolution. That number is pretty good... looks like Nintendo will be the second place this time.
    -Tim

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    Does this mean I could install a hacked copy of OSX onto my new PS3?
    I am so drooling at the mere prospect of this...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Though, polls show that those that are buying more than one of the next gens, 85% of them will be buying a Revolution. That number is pretty good... looks like Nintendo will be the second place this time.
    I'll be in the other 15%. I'll have a 360 and a PS3 right next to my PS2 and XBox. I've lost all faith in Nintendo.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    As opposed to Halo 3
    That hasn't even benn announced yet. Bill Gates confirmed that he was just shooting the bull with Time when he even brought up the possibility.

I think the PS3 has the biggest advantage. For one, they have been the leader in the industry for two generations.
    So it was Nintendo.

In almost every poll I've seen, more people planned to buy a PS3 over any other system.
    So it was with Nintendo.

The Blu-Ray player also puts the system at an advantage by making it the only next gen system to play a new format out of the box.
    No, and here's why:
    The Blu-Ray player and the hard drive is going to push this device up towards the price of a stand-alone Blu-Ray player. The PS2 was the cheapest DVD player at it's time, it won't be the case with PS3. By the time the PS3 price drops to something competitive, standalone Blu-Ray players will have already dropped far further than that and will be affordable by anyone. Not to mention the fact that with the worldwide launch planned, just like 360, it's going to be hard for gamers to be able to get one, let alone "regular people."

The PS3 will not be a gateway to Blu-Ray for average folk like the PS2. It will simply spare wealthy folks from having to buy a second player while convincing them to buy a second (or third, if they're into Revolution) system. Any chance that this would cost substantially less than a standalone player was dashed with the hard drive announcement.

Don't forget a stellar lineup of third party developers....
    That may be eager to jump ship. Third-parties have been complaining more and more about Sony's policies. Their content approval board has caused plenty of gnashing of teeth amongst developers. Check out this interview with the creator of the Castlevania series. At the end he says Sony would likely nix his idea.

Sony was also pretty responsible for the implosion of Working Designs, if you were to believe the guy who ran that firm, who had quite a few legitimate reasons to be upset.

If either of the other two consoles can prove to become profitable, there is every possibility third parties will jump. Just because you're the most the most popular girl at the ball does not mean that all your friends really love you. Right now, third parties do business with Sony simply because production costs mean they have to.

• Reaver of Souls

This whole Blu-Ray/HD DVD format squabble is going to be a huge issue. We simply can't have people releasing movies strictly on one format, leaving the other unavailable. The market can't sustain forcing people to buy 2 new DVD players. Someone's going to have to give...

• Huh?

According to the latest issue of the official Playstation magazine, the PS3 will not be above $399.99.

All reports are showing that the PS3 will be the cheapest Blue-Ray player on the market.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    This whole Blu-Ray/HD DVD format squabble is going to be a huge issue. We simply can't have people releasing movies strictly on one format, leaving the other unavailable. The market can't sustain forcing people to buy 2 new DVD players. Someone's going to have to give...
    not really

people will by one or the other and the market will move on

it happens with format issues all the time

of course last time Sony lost to VHS

a few people will end up with a strange format and there might be some sort of weird thing were some other country ends up with a different format then us

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    That hasn't even benn announced yet. Bill Gates confirmed that he was just shooting the bull with Time when he even brought up the possibility.
    All the more reason not to buy a 360. There are no must have games, and no must have games have been announced. Halo is the only reason we're even talking about Xbox anyway...

So it was Nintendo.
    Nintendo dropped the ball by not being consistant with videogame outputs. The PS1 was releasing over 10 games a month. The N64 was more like 10 every 3. Then they ignored the largest demographic (all the people that grew up on Nintendo) by making games that appealed to kids...

So it was with Nintendo.
    We're clearly looking at different polls...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast