Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PSP's UMD = DUD

• Huh?

Re: PSP's UMD = DUD

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Not to mention, Sony doesn't let you encode your own movies to use the full screen resolution of the display. 16:9 widescreen videos appear as a rectangular little box in the very center of the screen. Lame!
    Uhm... you know you're supposed to adjust the screen accordingly? There's zoom, full, and normal (43) modes on there...

I've never had a problem watching a 169 movie fullscreen on the PSP from the stick.
    -Tim

• Minion

Re: PSP's UMD = DUD

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland dude
    Is it your first iPod? If it isn't and assuming you had a functioning iPod before the iPod Video it seems redundant to buy one with a feature you choose not to use.

[/off topicness]
    A friend gave me her third generation iPod as a gift, afterwards, I gave it to my mom and bought an iPod video primarily for the extra 10GB of space. Plus, it matches the interior of my new Scion tC :P

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    The world doesn't need another optical media format, especially one that picks up the pieces of minidisc that were left behind.

Both Blu-Ray and HDDVD are stillborns but they're far out there and still too vapor for most people to understand what they do. It should be obvious, however, that people aren't interested in paying DVD prices to watch movies on their PSP, or pay any prices when they can buy the DVD and convert to memory stick for free.
    Not true. Amazon had a sale for one weekend on all its UMD's. They were $10 - $15 a piece, and they sold out by Saturday night! It's all about the price. And the new DVD/UMD bundles (which were supposed to be introduced months ago) should see renewed interest in the format.

I don't think people at Sony either expected this to do well, or they wouldn't have the whole thing about playing movies from flash media. I don't think many people would want to watch movies on this, though, the screen refresh is too low and causes distortions when a lot is happening on screen.
    How can you say people don't want to watch movies on their PSP, when UMD's were the fastest growing format? In 3 months, UMD's sold more than DVD's did during their entire first year...

Not to mention, Sony doesn't let you encode your own movies to use the full screen resolution of the display. 16:9 widescreen videos appear as a rectangular little box in the very center of the screen. Lame!
    Also not true. An update was released months ago that allowed you to encode to the highest degree. It came with the AVC format.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12