Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP's UMD = DUD

• Vehicle rotating backward

PSP's UMD = DUD

Looks like what everybody expected to happen with those PSP-based movies has proven out to be true:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060330/...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

Sony's Universal Media Disc facing last rites

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Exactly a year after it was launched in the United States, the Sony PlayStation Portable's days as a hand-held movie-viewing device might be numbered.

Disappointing sales have slowed the flow of movies on the proprietary Universal Media Disc to a mere trickle. At least two major studios have completely stopped releasing movies on UMD, while others are either toying with the idea or drastically cutting back.

And retailers also are cutting the amount of shelf space they've been devoting to UMD movies, amid talk that Wal-Mart is about to dump the category entirely.

Wal-Mart representative Jolanda Stewart declined comment on reports that the retailer is getting out of the UMD business. But studio sources say such a move is imminent, and a check Wednesday of a Wal-Mart store in Santa Ana, Calif., revealed a drastic shrinkage of UMD inventory. Several shelves of movies in the PSP section were gone; all that remained were seven UMD titles sitting bookshelf-style on the top of the PSP section, with no prices or other information.

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has completely stopped producing UMD movies, according to executives who asked not to be identified by name. Said one high-ranking exec: "It's awful. Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb -- like Blu-ray."

(Sony, in fact, vowed Wednesday to stick by the announced May 23 street date for the studio's first batch of Blu-ray Disc titles despite reports that the next-generation hardware needed to play the discs likely won't arrive in U.S. stores until the following month at the earliest.)

Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment also is said to be out of the UMD business. "We continue to evaluate the PSP platform for each title, and if it makes sense for business reasons and the target audience, we will release them," spokeswoman Brenda Ciccone said. "Our focus right now is much more aimed at HD (high-definition) at the moment, though."

A high-ranking executive was more blunt: "We are on hiatus with UMD," he said. "Releasing titles on UMD is the exception rather than the rule. No one's even breaking even on them."

Also out of the UMD business is Image Entertainment, while other studios -- including 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Buena Vista Home Entertainment -- have drastically slashed release schedules.

"No one's watching movies on PSP," said the president of one of the six major studios' home entertainment divisions. "It's a game player, period."

Observers speculate the studios released too many movies, too fast. Within five months of the PSP's March 2005 launch, 239 movie and TV titles already were either in the market or in the pipeline -- a significantly higher tally than games, according to the DVD Release Report.

But while sales were initially strong -- two Sony Pictures titles even crossed the 100,000-unit threshold after just two months -- the novelty quickly wore off, observers say. The arrival last fall of Apple's video iPod only hastened the PSP's decline as a movie-watching platform.

Benjamin Feingold, president of Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, was a big believer in PSP as a movie-watching platform. He still is, even though he concedes retail shelf space for UMD movies is on a sharp decline and his own studio is being "more selective" in choosing movies for UMD release.

Feingold believes the PSP's biggest drawback as a movie-watching device was the inability to connect the gadget to TV sets for big-screen viewing, "which would have made it more compelling," as well as the inclusion of memory stick capability.

"I think a lot of people are ripping content and sticking it onto the device rather than purchasing," he said.

But next week, Sony Computer Entertainment executives will begin making the rounds of the Hollywood studios to discuss plans for making the PSP able to connect to TV sets.

"We're hoping the format's going to be reinvigorated with next-generation capability that may include living-room or normal television playback," he said.
    I don't know about you, but I'm just so excited at the thought of watching LOW-RES UMD movies on my TV! UMDs don't hold that much in the first place, which is why a TV connection is dumb. Why would I want to watch that when I could use a DVD and rip it to a format watchable on the Memory Stick if I really wanted to stare at the PSP screen?

I also enjoy the Sony guy trying to salvage the product and shame the customer at once by saying that the only people using it for video playback are running converted movies on the Memory Stick. Gee, think that'd happen when you decided to compete with DVD!?

• Huh?

Re: PSP's UMD = DUD

Well, I think what may or may not save the format is how the DVD/UMD bundles that are coming soon will do.

The problem hasn't been that people don't want them, it's the price. Why pay $20-$30 for a new release UMD when you can buy the DVD for $15 and rip the DVD to a memory stick? Since the double packs only cost a little more than the DVD, it'll be much more worth the price than a UMD alone.
    -Tim

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Well, I think what may or may not save the format is how the DVD/UMD bundles that are coming soon will do.

The problem hasn't been that people don't want them, it's the price. Why pay $20-$30 for a new release UMD when you can buy the DVD for $15 and rip the DVD to a memory stick? Since the double packs only cost a little more than the DVD, it'll be much more worth the price than a UMD alone.
    I can see this option working and it beats just dumping the idea compleatly.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

i got mr. pixie chick the PSP for christmas. he has a couple of movies on UMD, but usually the ones he knows i won't watch or aren't "family" movies. he was finally able to buy the software that always seemed to be out of stock, so now he can just rip the DVD to the memory stick.

FB's right. the cost of the UMD's don't make sense compared to DVD's.
    <o>

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Plus, I'd rather have 5+ movies on a Memory Stick Duo, than carry around 5 UMDs.
    -Monorail Man

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I don't know about you, but I'm just so excited at the thought of watching LOW-RES UMD movies on my TV! UMDs don't hold that much in the first place, which is why a TV connection is dumb. Why would I want to watch that when I could use a DVD and rip it to a format watchable on the Memory Stick if I really wanted to stare at the PSP screen?
    Many UMD's actually have better transfers than their DVD counterparts. Take the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD and UMD. I have both, and the UMD is much sharper and the colors more vivid. The above statement is just not true, at least not for all UMDs.

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum

You nailed it. The price point is what prevents most people from buying UMD's. Converting movies gets to be a hassle, and I'd definitely buy UMD's if they were cheaper. I can't wait for the DVD/UMD bundles.

• Reaver of Souls

The one issue not mentioned is battery life - and Sony isn't going to bring it up. Watch a UMD, your standard battery will last you maybe 2 1/2 hours. Watch a movie from a memory stick, and you might get 8 or 9. I actually like the UMD format, and all the UMDs I have are crisp and clear (especially the Buena Vista releases), and I think if the rumored set-top UMD player ever makes it to market, the public's view of UMDs will change. I'm not counting the little buggers out just yet...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

I don't really see how TV playability will save the UMD really

I'm sure it'd help but I don't think it'd be that great

isn't part of the reason the movies look so well because they're created specificaly for that screen resolution?

DVD movies hold more space so the potential for better transfers still lies on the DVD and the UMD will only look worse in comparison on TV once you get into the high definition footage

if you ask me I think Sony should just axe the UMD and concentrait on games for the PSP as well as pushing Blue Ray

at least Blue ray is a good technology that makes decent market since

UMD's have never been that great a deal and I'm sure download services will take over like with Apples new system

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    I don't really see how TV playability will save the UMD really
    UMD's don't need saving. They need a price drop.

I'm sure it'd help but I don't think it'd be that great

isn't part of the reason the movies look so well because they're created specificaly for that screen resolution?
    Why do people keep saying that? UMD's hold about 1GB of information. The more extras and whatnot that you put on a UMD the more you have to compress everything. Buena Vista UMD's often have better transfers than DVDs...

if you ask me I think Sony should just axe the UMD and concentrait on games for the PSP as well as pushing Blue Ray
    Sony is a multi-billion dollar company that makes products ranging from cameras, to TV's, to music. It's pretty dumb to say that they should "concentrate" on games and Blu-Ray. They are not a one trick pony like Nintendo.

UMD's have never been that great a deal and I'm sure download services will take over like with Apples new system
    Sony has already announced a download movie service for the PSP. Several in fact.

• Reaver of Souls

Actually, I think UMDs technically hold 1.4GB. That's a lot of space, really. and more than enough room for DVD-quality video, unless you're tring to fit the Lord of the Rings extednded editions on UMD. But then those took 5 DVDs for each movie already...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

The specs say that a UMD holds about 1.8GB. Lose about .2 for formatting, and copy protection. Still, an impressive amount for such a low format.
    -Monorail Man

I agree. There are some Divx codexs that almost give DVD quality a run for it's money when considering the compression ratios/file sizes. That said, who wants to watch a full movie on their PSP. I can understand iPod video a little bit more, but not the PSP. It will be interesting to see if these disks become collectors items somewhere down the line (most likely not, but...).

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    The specs say that a UMD holds about 1.8GB. Lose about .2 for formatting, and copy protection. Still, an impressive amount for such a low format.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    I agree. There are some Divx codexs that almost give DVD quality a run for it's money when considering the compression ratios/file sizes. That said, who wants to watch a full movie on their PSP. I can understand iPod video a little bit more, but not the PSP. It will be interesting to see if these disks become collectors items somewhere down the line (most likely not, but...).
    Wow... That made no sense...

I have an iPod video and a PSP, and I never use my ipod video for movie watching.

1) iPod Video lasts 2 hours when watching video. PSP is around 2 also when watching a UMD, but if you're watching movies off of a memory stick, you're looking at 7 or 8 hours...

2) PSP has a higher resolution screen

3) PSP is widescreen

4) More media are available for the PSP

• is confuzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I have an iPod video and a PSP, and I never use my ipod video for movie watching.
    Is it your first iPod? If it isn't and assuming you had a functioning iPod before the iPod Video it seems redundant to buy one with a feature you choose not to use.

[/off topicness]

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Sony is a multi-billion dollar company that makes products ranging from cameras, to TV's, to music. It's pretty dumb to say that they should "concentrate" on games and Blu-Ray. They are not a one trick pony like Nintendo.
    The world doesn't need another optical media format, especially one that picks up the pieces of minidisc that were left behind.

Both Blu-Ray and HDDVD are stillborns but they're far out there and still too vapor for most people to understand what they do. It should be obvious, however, that people aren't interested in paying DVD prices to watch movies on their PSP, or pay any prices when they can buy the DVD and convert to memory stick for free.

I don't think people at Sony either expected this to do well, or they wouldn't have the whole thing about playing movies from flash media. I don't think many people would want to watch movies on this, though, the screen refresh is too low and causes distortions when a lot is happening on screen.

Not to mention, Sony doesn't let you encode your own movies to use the full screen resolution of the display. 16:9 widescreen videos appear as a rectangular little box in the very center of the screen. Lame!
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 04-01-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast