Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

PSP Outsells DS Again

It's the middle of the month and numbers for last month have finally surfaced. Obviously, the biggest "war" going on is the one between the Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, and Nintendo Game Boy Advance. Yeah, normally I wouldn't include the GBA but that thing is a beast. It refuses to lie down and die like most "last-generation" systems do. Then again, maybe you should see what went on last month for yourself!

Xbox 360: 295,381 [1,504,724]
    PlayStation 2: 206,995 [39,458,926]
    Game Boy Advance: 169,115 [37,455,961]
    PlayStation Portable: 162,438 [4,332,872]
    Nintendo DS: 138,427 [4,447,092]
    Xbox: 38,987 [15,737,984]
    GameCube: 38,028 [12,046,319]

Now that you've had a chance to look at the numbers, let's look at them a bit more closely. The handheld front is as close as ever. Yet again, like it has for the past nine or so months, the GBA has come out on top. This piece of last generation technology continues to outsell both the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP. The PSP and DS had some interesting points though. If I remember correctly, April was the month in which the PSP's core system was released in the United States. However, its sales are still lower than the month before it. The Nintendo DS also saw decreased sales, although I'd have expected worse for a system which should be replaced by the DS Lite in just a little bit. The PSP is catching up slowly but surely. Unlike Japan, where both handhelds launched in the same month, the DS had a head start in the US. Whether or not the PSP can take the lead with no killer app is a question though. New Super Mario Bros. launched today (Wednesday for Canadians). The DS Lite launches in June. If Brain Age takes off, the PSP is in trouble. Especially if Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is not ready in time to combat Pokemon: Diamond and Pokemon Pearl. The GBA... Well. I have no idea what to do about that thing. It's like the Energizer Rabbit... It just keeps going and going and going. It doesn't even have any major game releases left unless Nintendo localizes Mother 3. At least Japan has moved on. The GBA only sells around 15,000 weekly while the DS sells around 180,000 weekly and the PSP 35,000 weekly.

The Xbox 360 shortages are finally over! This has of course caused a small spike in sales and the 360 has beaten the PS2 for the month. Sales have been reportedly quite strong for the first two weeks of April, but weaker for the last two. With shortages over, the Xbox 360 will finally have the opportunity to grow. Of course, with the success of the Xbox 360 comes the death of last generation consoles such as the Xbox and Gamecube (the PlayStation 2 is like the GBA... freakin' rabbits). The Xbox has just about no exclusives left and the Gamecube has a few, like Super Paper Mario which was announced at E3, but nothing that will help it at this point in its life. Those who want it should likely be waiting for the backward compatible Wii.

The summer months usually see a drought in the game industry. So don't be surprised if you see few titles worth getting in the next couple of months. And stop screaming for US sales every time I post Japanese ones! These only come once a month, so you'll see more mid-June! Also remember these are only US sales. Canadian sales are not included.
    What is the deal with the GBA? lol, I have one and I never play it, I can't understand that there are still people buying that system lol.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: PSP Outsells DS Again

Which GBAs specifically? I would bet the ones that sell the best are the backward compatible ones. All those games from GB and GBC, plsu the GBA ones too.

• I'm your huckleberry.

GBA might be a good alternative for those people who can't afford the more expensive PSP and DS. My daughter still plays her old GBA games on her DS from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

at least the GBA is beginning to slow down a bit

Nintendo was still giving it a first party game or two for a while but now that seems to be over

SquareEnix still has two Final Fantasy ports to make to the GBA but otherwise it should be dead to the gamer at this point

the GBA had a good life with alot of good games out for it but it's way past it's lifetime at this point

by this Christmas I'm hoping to see the GBA sales slow down quite a bit more but who knows alot of parants still buy em for their kids cause it's so cheep and it IS still considerably smaller then the PSP or the DS which are both rather large

the launch of the DS lite should bring some interesting numbers to the table though since alot of people have been holding off buying a DS just because of this dual modle thing Nintendo does and Mario shall be great

there are alot of great handheld games coming out this year so the war shall be interesting to watch but I'm getting more amped up for the next gen consoles I really wanna own two this time around but I probably won't be able to save up as much

btw what's the launch date for the PSP metal gear game?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    btw what's the launch date for the PSP metal gear game?
    :shrugs:

I think the GBA is still doing well because it's marketed heavily to kids. It's cheap, there are a lot of kids movies that end up being games...

But MAN, that thing is a money making monster lol.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Working in a video game department of a toy store I can tell you the GBA won't die down as long as the DS and PSP stay as they are.
    PSP all the games are puzzles, sports, or violent. Its an adult system. The DS has kids games, but no parent wants to spend $150 on thier 6 year old's first game system, especially one that has a touch pad that can be wrecked when the kid smacks it too hard.
    The GBA has plenty of kid games and it is pretty tough. GBA's sales mostly go to people who are 12 and under, a demographic that PSP completely ignores and an age group that most parents don't deem ready for a $130 system yet.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't see how this is good for the PSP.

If you add the GBA and DS sales it is blowing the PSP out of the water.

Game Boy Advance: 169,115 + Nintendo DS: 138,427 = 307,542

That's more than double the PSP PlayStation Portable: 162,438

Plus the Nintendo DS has outsold the PSP in volume 4,447,092 to 4,332,872

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I don't see how this is good for the PSP.

If you add the GBA and DS sales it is blowing the PSP out of the water.
    The GBA is almost specifically a kids system. I count the GBA in one category, and the DS and PSP in another.

Plus the Nintendo DS has outsold the PSP in volume 4,447,092 to 4,332,872
    The DS came out about 4 months before the PSP. It was released right in the middle of the Christmas shopping season.

The PSP has more hurdles to break. The Handheld market has always been more or less for kids. Thousands of crappy movie ports and horrible platform games that didn't interest anyone over the age of 15 and hardcore Nintendo fans.

The PSP marketed to the adult much like the PS1 before it. It paved new ground. It's trying to make the public realize that you can play games on a handheld and not feel like a dorked out nerd. It doesn't have the benefit of over a decade of portable game development. Its publishers are used to making console games, and it's taking time to learn how to adjust the mindset. However, you can definitely see the change in the way we see portable gaming.

The PSP needs a killer app badly. It's selling just one features alone which is great (for Sony anyway), but without continual must have games, the DS Lite is going to take over.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    What is the deal with the GBA? lol, I have one and I never play it, I can't understand that there are still people buying that system lol.
    It's kind of like the PS2. It has the biggest and best library of games at the best price point.

And it's tons more portable than the PSP or DS. Its really easy to throw in a pocket. Much easier than DS anyway, I don't have a PSP to compare.

I like this from your cite:
    If Brain Age takes off, the PSP is in trouble.
    My wife is hooked on Brain Age. We picked it up on impulse at Costco because it had sukodu in it. Since then she spends an hour a night, four nights a week with that sucker. Totally hooked.

If my wife digs it, PSP is indeed in trouble.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• Big Member

Just wait until June 11th. Sales for the DS lite are going to crush all! woot!

• They wanna know, HO!

Brain Age won't kill the PSP, it's a lack of games and weak battery life. I want a PSP, but I'd much rather have a DS lite to actualy play fun games!
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyPete
    Just wait until June 11th. Sales for the DS lite are going to crush all! woot!
    I cant wait for
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Star Fox DS
    Diddy Kong Racing DS
    Yoshi's Island II
    Final Fantasy III
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
    DK: King of Swing
    Kirby DS
    Pokemon Diamond

DS just keeps getting better and better. And like you said, with the release of lite the sales are going to skyrocket.

• 'splosions

i love my DS to death.

goin to the store to go pick up New Super Mario Bros. right now anyway.

as for the PSP, i'm still waiting for a few more games that'll cater to me to come out for it. i don't care about sports games...or Grand Theft Auto games...or really anything else. Gimme Mega Man, Daxter and Metal Gear SOLID...not Ac!d

• We're number one!

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat
    i love my DS to death.

goin to the store to go pick up New Super Mario Bros. right now anyway.

as for the PSP, i'm still waiting for a few more games that'll cater to me to come out for it. i don't care about sports games...or Grand Theft Auto games...or really anything else. Gimme Mega Man, Daxter and Metal Gear SOLID...not Ac!d
    New Super Mario Bros came out today? I am so out of the loop considering I have been reading about the game for a while. lol

I agree with you though about the types of games the PSP has released. When it comes to handhelds I like games that are fun and just challenging enough. All the games that have been released for the PSP are sports games (which I don't care for at all) or games like GTA or Metal Gear Ac!d that I would much rather play on a TV.

I have a DS myself and I got it mainly because I thought the selections of games were better not to mention that the games themself were more reasonably priced for a handheld compared to a PSP. I'm going to trade in my DS soon though so I can get good value on it so I can buy a DS Lite!
    Last edited by SpookyBear; 05-16-2006 at 02:31 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

I pre-ordered our DS Lite Today. The guy at EB games said they are giving extra trade in $$ on your old DS if you trade it in for a Lite. I think the Lite will come out to about $60 after trade-in.

Not too bad if you ask me.

Also picked up NEW Super Mario Brothers and Brain Age (based on suggestions from this thread). We'll see what the woman thinks about me dropping $80 on games and pre-orders when she gets home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast