Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• For You!

best handheld to get?

Hi all - I'm in need of all your expert advice again. My sons want to get gameboys. And, frankly, I'm fine with that. But, now I see the DS and PSP and stuff and wonder if they are still going to make gameboy games or is it all going to the ds?

What are your thoughts. My kids are only 5 and 7 and don't really care about graphic quality - they just want to play games in the car.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion

Re: best handheld to get?

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    Hi all - I'm in need of all your expert advice again. My sons want to get gameboys. And, frankly, I'm fine with that. But, now I see the DS and PSP and stuff and wonder if they are still going to make gameboy games or is it all going to the ds?

What are your thoughts. My kids are only 5 and 7 and don't really care about graphic quality - they just want to play games in the car.
    Don't get a PSP lol. I'd say go with the DS.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

At that age, I would start them out at the Gameboy SP level. See how they treat the handhelds before you make a major investment like a PSP. Get them good cases that will fit the handhelds and all accesories so everything is in one place.

Once they show that they are responsible enough with the more inexpensive handhelds, you can upgrade them to a PSP or a DS. The nice thing about growing from a Gameboy to a DS is that the Gameboy games can be played on the DS.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• I'm your huckleberry.

I agree with Mamabot. My daughter is 10 and she just got a DS at Xmas. I'm STILL nervous that she'll break it on accident. I would be a nervous wreck if she were the agres of your boys!

Stick with the gameboy SP... they'll have lots of fun with it, there are plenty of E rated games, and like Mamabot said, they can still be played on the DS when they get old enough for one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Is it wrong to laugh about the fact that the title of this thread was right under the thread about guys grabbing thier groin?
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• keep moving forward...

the ds's clamshell design makes it very indestructable...one tip though, replace the stylus wiht a good cue tip...i didnt realize that and i pushed too hard on the screen and its kind of scratched up from when i played the stylus intensive games...kids absolutely seem to adore nintendogs and a lot of other favorites, there are some really great games for ds and there are some things that will make the ds a best seller coming up...

• For You!

Now, the question is to get a used one or a new one? What do you think? I've seen a ton on ebay, are they reliable enough to get a used one?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'd also suggest the Gameboy. If they just want games for the car, it will be just fine and you'll be able to buy them more games to play, since the systems and games are both cheaper than the alternatives.

I almost bought a DS today at Frys. It was on sale with 5 free games, but they were sold out (like always) by the time I got there. I have a huge sack of gameboy games that I can also use on the DS, so I'm interested in an upgrade. For some reason, the PSP just doesn't have me interested.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    For some reason, the PSP just doesn't have me interested.
    I can see why. You see a game console as a 'game console'. However, if you look at the PSP as a media player, then you see the games as a bonus. That's how I use my PSP. It now plays my Media Center recorded television, MP3s, and Podcasts.
    -Monorail Man

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    I can see why. You see a game console as a 'game console'. However, if you look at the PSP as a media player, then you see the games as a bonus. That's how I use my PSP. It now plays my Media Center recorded television, MP3s, and Podcasts.
    But it is too big to be the perfect media player. My Windows Mobile Pocket PC does all that too and fits in my shirt pocket. I just think the PSP was poorly designed. Too big, too bulky, too dependent of Sony proprietary standards.
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

PSP was designed for gamera and added the media.. it's selling for the media and not the gamera.. lol

Nintendo DS is the way to go... I have to get mine replaced still.. screen cracked real bad.. (It is not indescrictable.. the force of accidently dropping it on bandroom floor last year had to go somewhere)

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    But it is too big to be the perfect media player. My Windows Mobile Pocket PC does all that too and fits in my shirt pocket.
    Well, to an extent. WM2003(SE)/WM5 still has it's limitations on how big movie files are, etc. But I see your point (I still own 4 [or is it 5?] WM devices). Still, I see as it as a less devices to carry around thing.
    -Monorail Man

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    Now, the question is to get a used one or a new one? What do you think? I've seen a ton on ebay, are they reliable enough to get a used one?
    Never waste time with a used one. New Gameboys are not too horrible in price at $79.99 and if things go wrong you can go to Nintendo, and Nintendo is pretty good about things. I don't know how kindly they are to fixing issues on a GBA bought off Ebay...

If they have never had a system before, start them off on the Gameboy SP. Simply put, if they don't have the video game thing down yet, before they go trying to figure out how to use two screens, start them on one. Even if you do a DS with SP games (just uses one screen), they'll still want to try to use the second screen. Just remove the temptation.

SPs are pretty solid, you have to do a whole lot to them to bust them up.

Gamewise, the SP allows you to not worry about content. Because name a game, it'll be rated "E" (well practically, there are a few "T" on GBA). Even games like Spiderman (which are "T" on the big systems) get rated "E". This way whether you have content fears or not you really are not limiting any of thier game choices.

GBA (the SP) is always my starting Game System recomendation, especially at 5 & 7.

• For You!

thanks so much - I think we'll be getting one before our next disney trip.

• Shh..

I think gameboys or DSL's they have better games ( i think )
    It's GREAT to be a Viking!

Were going down, down and a earlier round,
    And sugar, were going down swingin'
    I'll be your number one, with a bullet,
    A loaded god complex,
    Clock it and pull it.
    - Fall Out Boy, Sugar, Were Goin' Down

I'm to quarters and a heart down,
    And I don't wanna forget how your voice sounds,
    These words are all I have so I'll write them,
    So you need them just to get by,
    Dance, Dance, were falling apart to half time,
    Dance, Dance,
    And these are lives you'd love lead to lead,
    Dance,
    This is the way they'd love if they knew how, misery loved me.
    - Fall Out Boy, Dance Dance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast