Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

• Why can't you tune a fish

Introduction

I looked around and this seems to be the correct place to post a hellow and a question in. If not, please move the thread.

I have been playing VMK for about 2-3 months now. I initaly played because I wanted to check it out for my 7 year old. Now I am hooked. I should mention that I go to Disney around once a year, and think it is indeed the Happiest Place on Earth and a wonderful vacation.

As you can tell from the above I am older (at least old enough to have a 7 year old). My question is, how do the rest of you who are "aged" deal with it when people ask you to be taken, or about if you thing they are cute, etc.

I would love to say, "look I will be glad to talk to you, but realize that I may be old enought to be your father" byt VMK will not let you type that. I tried once an got a warning because I was talking about age. (how is that for irony). I know I could just walk away, but part of the VMK fun is making friends and hanging out / playing games / and trading.

I do have the line "I don't do taken" in my sig, but its not as if that helps.

Anyway, hi, and thanks.

(And in VMK I am KingSuperDave - seems they did not like Phonedave. Its a shame because I have used that on the web for ages)

-dave

• More then a member.

Re: Introduction

Thats a good question dave.
    First off welcome to micechat. Here almost all of us don't enjoy the "taken" thing. Mostly the I dont do taken line in your signature helps some, but whenever somone asks you, just plain and simply you can answer "dont do taken" and if they ask you any further questions, why, or anything. You can just ignore them or leave. As for making friends, the best friends ive made on VMK i met on micechat, and the others. Were people i met who know i dont do taken and accept it. A lot of people when they ask you to be taken, and you say "dont do taken" will politely ask if you want to be friends anyway.
    Hope i helped
    Take a look at my past signatures and avatars! And maybe some extra stuff! http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...ris221&x=0&y=0

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Let's just say that if you have a seven-year-old, I'm probably old enough to be YOUR father! I play VMK everyday. I rarely speak to other players unless spoken to. If they start the "taken" thing, I just say, "I don't do taken." That usually stops it. If not, there are plenty of other rooms I can fly to.

Welcome to MiceChat!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Pilot EdForceOne

what is 'taken' btw?

1293.67 miles from WDW and 1628.52 miles to DL

Hello! I played against you earlier tonight in the fireworks game...you are good. I have an 8 year old daughter so I understand your position exactly. All you can do is be polite and watch what is said. It isn't difficult to tell after awhile who is more mature and who is to young. To repeat what Zaris said, most of my friends are from MiceChat. A word of caution for your son...be very careful. My daughter learned a very difficult lesson about trading when she loaned her blue dress and bat magic to a friend...who dissappeared shortly afterward. She still won't play VMK unless I am there....fine with me but it makes me sad. VMK is fun but I'm learning, as the game gets more popular that it really isn't for young children anymore.
    Kuzco: I can't believe this is happening.
    Yzma: Then I bet you weren't expecting *this*.
    [Yzma pulls up her dress. Kuzco and Pacha scream]
    Yzma: [Yzma revealing a knife attatched to her leg] Ah-ha.
    [Kuzco and Pacha sigh with relief]

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    I looked around and this seems to be the correct place to post a hellow and a question in. If not, please move the thread.

I have been playing VMK for about 2-3 months now. I initaly played because I wanted to check it out for my 7 year old. Now I am hooked. I should mention that I go to Disney around once a year, and think it is indeed the Happiest Place on Earth and a wonderful vacation.

As you can tell from the above I am older (at least old enough to have a 7 year old). My question is, how do the rest of you who are "aged" deal with it when people ask you to be taken, or about if you thing they are cute, etc.

I would love to say, "look I will be glad to talk to you, but realize that I may be old enought to be your father" byt VMK will not let you type that. I tried once an got a warning because I was talking about age. (how is that for irony). I know I could just walk away, but part of the VMK fun is making friends and hanging out / playing games / and trading.

I do have the line "I don't do taken" in my sig, but its not as if that helps.

Anyway, hi, and thanks.

(And in VMK I am KingSuperDave - seems they did not like Phonedave. Its a shame because I have used that on the web for ages)

-dave
    Welcome Dave!

I'm not fond of it. I, like Tom Chaney don't really talk to others unless they are friends, I'm in a trade room, to answer questions, or something like that.

I learned of VMK from MiceChat and started wondering around in beta days when most of us were not quite sure what we were doing besides finding mickeys and attempting to play games.

While I wouldn't say I'm "aged," I am past Disney's target audience with this game also and I am not fond of the taken thing myself. But beyond that the family, baby, and animal things bother me more. Go figure.

Welcome to MiceChat and we hope to hear more from you and see you in VMK!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    Let's just say that if you have a seven-year-old, I'm probably old enough to be YOUR father! I play VMK everyday.
    You could be my father? Want to be mine in VMK?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    If you ever call me "Duh Duh" you will be sooooooooo off my friends list!

"Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."

Quote Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
    Thats a good question dave.
    First off welcome to micechat. Here almost all of us don't enjoy the "taken" thing. Mostly the I dont do taken line in your signature helps some, but whenever somone asks you, just plain and simply you can answer "dont do taken" and if they ask you any further questions, why, or anything. You can just ignore them or leave. As for making friends, the best friends ive made on VMK i met on micechat, and the others. Were people i met who know i dont do taken and accept it. A lot of people when they ask you to be taken, and you say "dont do taken" will politely ask if you want to be friends anyway.
    Hope i helped
    Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Sometimes I get "So you don't do taken, why not?"

My stock answer is "this is a game and you do not always know the other person"

Thats about the best I can do with their limited vocabulary.

Thanks

-dave

Let's just say that if you have a seven-year-old, I'm probably old enough to be YOUR father! I play VMK everyday. I rarely speak to other players unless spoken to. If they start the "taken" thing, I just say, "I don't do taken." That usually stops it. If not, there are plenty of other rooms I can fly to.

Welcome to MiceChat!

Thanks

I get the impression that a lot of people are "needy". I have some friends who I have been friends with for a while (weeks) and being the fine helpful person I am I have helped them on quests, or sometimes given them money/stuff - hey its just a game and I seem to come by cash easily. All of a sudden now they want to do taken. It just irks me to no end. Here we were having fun on a MMOG. All very above board and plesant and now you have to drag this into it because somebody is nice to you. I am a social kind of person. I don't like to stand in the corner and do nothing. Oh well, I guess I am just venting here. Thanks for listening.

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    what is 'taken' btw?

Dating, but you cannot say dating or boyfriend or girlfriend in VMK

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeYzma View Post
    Hello! I played against you earlier tonight in the fireworks game...you are good. I have an 8 year old daughter so I understand your position exactly. All you can do is be polite and watch what is said. It isn't difficult to tell after awhile who is more mature and who is to young. To repeat what Zaris said, most of my friends are from MiceChat. A word of caution for your son...be very careful. My daughter learned a very difficult lesson about trading when she loaned her blue dress and bat magic to a friend...who dissappeared shortly afterward. She still won't play VMK unless I am there....fine with me but it makes me sad. VMK is fun but I'm learning, as the game gets more popular that it really isn't for young children anymore.

Cool. I think I remember seeing you up there. I am not THAT good. Around 250,000 is where I can hit consistently. Not nearly good enough for the leader board.

I never mentioned I had a son I have two daughters 7 and 5. Well for all intents and purposes my 7 year old is 8 - its that close.

I have not let my daughter play VMK. Honestly I think it may be too complex for her. She could do all the games and the pin collecting. But typing is not her strong suit. I also think the quests may be a bit much for her as well. She has not really expressed a strong interest in it anyway. She asked me where Animail Kingdom was. When I told her it was not in VMK she lost all interest. Her dream in life is to be a vet at Animal Kingdom.

-dave

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    Welcome Dave!

I'm not fond of it. I, like Tom Chaney don't really talk to others unless they are friends, I'm in a trade room, to answer questions, or something like that.

I learned of VMK from MiceChat and started wondering around in beta days when most of us were not quite sure what we were doing besides finding mickeys and attempting to play games.

While I wouldn't say I'm "aged," I am past Disney's target audience with this game also and I am not fond of the taken thing myself. But beyond that the family, baby, and animal things bother me more. Go figure.

Welcome to MiceChat and we hope to hear more from you and see you in VMK!

Oh geeze. That whole duh duh mummy and animal thing is just too weird. I would not consider myself aged in the normal sense of the word either, but well outside the VMK target age range. I have a guest room in there called "The House of the Rising Sun" with the description "you know the song". I get questions about what does it mean all the time. I guess I sort of date myself with that one.

I hope to be around here a bit. I'm no stranger to forums, but I tend to lurk a wile first. I like well modereated civil forums (which this does seem to be). I deal will too much crap in my real life to bring angst into my entertainmanet / leasure.

-dave

• I was deleted.

If you ever call me "Duh Duh" you will be sooooooooo off my friends list!

I hope that isn't a promise, Duh Duh.

Oh geeze. That whole duh duh mummy and animal thing is just too weird. I would not consider myself aged in the normal sense of the word either, but well outside the VMK target age range. I have a guest room in there called "The House of the Rising Sun" with the description "you know the song". I get questions about what does it mean all the time. I guess I sort of date myself with that one.

I hope to be around here a bit. I'm no stranger to forums, but I tend to lurk a wile first. I like well modereated civil forums (which this does seem to be). I deal will too much crap in my real life to bring angst into my entertainmanet / leasure.

-dave
    Oh yea, I see lots of things and I even say or notice that others don't pick up on and for lots there is only a 5-8 year age gap. That makes me think twice.

I understand the lurking, but MiceChat really is a unique forum. It's my first online Disney home and I encourage you to lurk to other areas of it as well, especially since you do visit Disney often. I'm sure you'll find the atmosphere a bit different and hopefully as welcoming and enjoyable as I do.

Psst... There is also a vbulletin new feature - a multi-quote button so that you can quote mulitple users and post less while still saying the same thing. (I'm slowly getting out of the habit of copying/pasting the old way myself.) PM me if you have any questions about it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

-dave
    You've found gold in MiceChat. This is a primo forum. Welcome.

• I was deleted.

You've found gold in MiceChat. This is a primo forum. Welcome.
    I guess that MiceChat Gold is a good part of MiceChat too, huh Tom? I think he means there's a lot on different levels. Welcome and see you around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast