Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I am dragon hear me roar!

How LittleDragonErin plays Haunted Mansion...

When I first started VMK, the first game I was taught to play was the Haunted Mansion. I was a terrible Fireworks player and didn't get Jungle Cruise at all. I was decent in Pirates, but that's a story for another day. Mansion was my first big thing. I remember early on, I got into a game with a CL and staff member (can't remember who because at the time, I had no idea that was a staff member). After the game, I just remember them saying that I was TOO GOOD. And the people in the lobby hearing that from both a leader and staff member generated quite a bit of excitement. They wanted to play me and see if I was really that good. For a while after that, nobody would play against me again. Lol. I haven't played in a while, but I still do when it is required in quests. I average about 35-40 ghosts a around. 45+ if I'm playing by myself against 2 or more. Here's a few pointers about how I play...

As always, the faster the computer the better. You want to be able to move smoothly across the playing field. If graphics are choppy or game play is slow, you will not do very well.

There are four different rooms to play in. In every room, there is an exit at the top and bottom of the screen that lead to the other. Know where these are. In every room there is an upper and lower level. In the attic, know how to use the elevator to get between floors. And in every room, there are doors you come out of to start with. Know where these are, so that when the round ends, you know where to run to get that head start.

Movement is the key to the game. I use the arrowkeys personally because the mouse just isn't accurate enough or responsive enough. When your character runs about, it's sort of like running on ice. They don't exactly stop or turn perfectly. They kind of slide a bit. I think that's where I had the advantage over most players before. I learned how to run around first before I started working on my aim. Learning to move is the key to the game.

You must be aware that you ALWAYS move faster than the ghosts. Yup, that's right, you can outrun any ghost. Even when you are ghosted yourself.

Always play through till the end, even if you are losing. And even if you are about to win the round or game, keep catching those ghosts because they add up in the end.

Other players that get caught by ghosts (ghosted) will give you double points. This is great when playing for credits. But this does not count towards quest quotas.

If you shake up the coffins, it's a 3:4 chance your ghost will come out...BUT only if you have less ghosts on the playing field.

If a player on one side stops catching ghosts, and you clear all of yours out. Only one or two of your ghosts will come out until the opposing player catches a few of their own. This is why it is not good for them to stop playing if they've reached their quota for a quest or what not. Because you get messed up in the end.

If you are on pink and are playing solo, you have a huge upper hand. The first round will not seem like it because there are actually more green ghosts that come out in this round. But the second and third round, I would hate to be green. Especially a 1 on 3/4 match. For some reason pink ghosts just swarm out of those coffins in the 2nd and 3rd round.
    Anytime you are a ghost and want to avoid being cleaned, stay with your ghosts. Almost all other players do not know how to hit you when you are behind a ghost of your color. And if you are ghost, that is also a good time to either, herd your ghosts all into one spot or shake those coffins.

Now for a tricks that is for winning and probably not nice to use against people you are friends with. This is how I got high catch scores before. So a lot of times players think smart and figure if an opposite ghost is blocking them from their ghosts, they can just follow an opponent in and let him/her clear the path, or wait for them to come running past. So if you are said opponent and know your range of your gun, you run towards ghost, fire gun off a little too early or late. 90% of the time the other player does not wait and they follow right in and get hit. 3 ghosts with one shot. Yeah, evil, I know.

Speaking of knowing your range...you can actually shoot past a ghost and hit another behind it. So if your ghost is behind an opposing ghost, or if your opponent is hiding behind his ghosts, it is possible to hit them without being ghosted yourself. You just have to know how to stop on a dime and run the other way in time. To shoot through a ghost you have to fire your gun off a little early and the other ghost has to be right behind the ghost in front. The tip of the shot is what you hit him with. You have to fire early because the second you are next to the first ghost you have to turn around and run or you will get ghosted.

Okay, so now the big question most people have is...how do you catch 85 ghosts? Well, if you're good enough, you just have to hope your opponents don't quit on you and you may have to lose one round on purpose. But then again, if you're good enough, you probably wouldn't be reading this. So here's how the average player can accomplish this feat...

First off, you need at least 5 friends to play with you. They must be friends because they will have to play exactly how you tell them to. You need 4 of them to play against you and 1 of them to play on your team. You must win 2 rounds and lose 1 round. You go around catching all the ghosts you can, avoiding catching ghosted opponents and getting ghosted yourself. Your team mate should do nothing but shake up some coffins. This will keep your ghosts flowing. 1 person on the opposing team should be catching their ghosts. Only 1, to keep from winning on accident. This will keep the field level so you don't have to worry about a shortage of your ghosts. Another person on the other team should also be shaking up some coffins. This person is your "safety" in case 1 of the 4 on the opposing team disconnects. This person will take their place. The other 2 people on the opposite team shadow you. The clear any opposing ghosts in your way, and "clean" you if you get ghosted, so you don't waste time. VERY IMPORTANT...when the timer hits 30 seconds, whoever is supposed to lose, MUST STOP CATCHING GHOSTS. 30 seconds is a long time, but remember, it only takes 1 ghost to end the game prematurely. If you play in this style, 85 ghosts should be no problem.

Well, that's it for this game. As always, have fun! See you on VMK! ^_^

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Re: How LittleDragonErin plays Haunted Mansion...

I always use the arrow keys to guide my player. Learn to use the key combinations that allow your player to move diagonally. Somehow, you move faster this way... and! ...for some reason, when you are moving in the diagonal fashion, you won't be "converted" by enemy ghosts as often.

I've had some close calls with enemy ghosts, but when moving diagonally, often avoid being turned into a ghost against all odds.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Paint the Roses Red

I have actually gotten 75 ghosts on that game

• Paint the Roses Red

typically my average is about 35-40 (same as yours it seems)
    but i have gotten really high scores like my 75 lol

• Me and Ilovevmk as elves

Wow! Great guide! Once again you do it again with these excellent ways to play the games! These have always improved my score, so I must try this once I get back home!

• Why am I here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Ivory_Rocks View Post
    typically my average is about 35-40 (same as yours it seems)
    but i have gotten really high scores like my 75 lol
    The game isnt really about talent..if you play 1 vs 4 and on the 1 side you will get tons mroe ghosts..it is literally impossible to get that amount on a big team or even team.

Quote Originally Posted by FlAmMaBle View Post
    The game isnt really about talent..if you play 1 vs 4 and on the 1 side you will get tons mroe ghosts..it is literally impossible to get that amount on a big team or even team.
    I beg to differ slightly on this...if you can move better than the other players on your team, and are quick enough, you can still pull these numbers with 2-3 team mates. I don't recommend doing this, though, as it's not very nice to mess your team mates over like that. :P

• Ray's Evil Cookie Baker

I've played a game of one on one and we both had over 80 ghosts, now this has only happened once to me, lol, but I find if you have someone that plays the same way I do, I tend to do better. By that I mean, just watching each other and where you both are and where the ghost are, if they get turned and your near by, clean them off, rattle the coffins when ever you go by them. Now if I can only get that score next time I try for the last car quest..

Thanks for the tips Dragon, seems that the arrow keys are the way to go, guess I'm going to have to practice with them.

take that jediMihawk

Quote Originally Posted by halifax_girl View Post
    I've played a game of one on one and we both had over 80 ghosts, now this has only happened once to me, lol, but I find if you have someone that plays the same way I do, I tend to do better. By that I mean, just watching each other and where you both are and where the ghost are, if they get turned and your near by, clean them off, rattle the coffins when ever you go by them. Now if I can only get that score next time I try for the last car quest..

Thanks for the tips Dragon, seems that the arrow keys are the way to go, guess I'm going to have to practice with them.
    Y'know, I think that's true with any competitive sport. If you play with/against somebody who's better, it raises your ability more (assuming you play your best to keep up and not sit there complaining about being worse than them). I always play much better in pirates or mansion when I'm with capable players. For me, I think the competitiveness drives me to be better and better.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I will generally score my best when playing with a skilled opponent. They will keep their ghosts cleared and out of my way. When playing with a novice who just can't keep up, I find myself swarmed with their ghosts. This makes it difficult for me to get around.

There is one configuration of the "Stretching Room" that is just impossible! It's the one with the zig-zag balustrades on the ground floor. The barriers make it really tricky to avoid the enemy.

Is it just me or does it seem that even when you get the 5-second head start for getting the right door... in the next room there's either an opposite-color ghost just waiting to convert you or all your ghosts are a million miles away? The net result is, your 5-second advantage is wasted.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Ray's Evil Cookie Baker

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    Is it just me or does it seem that even when you get the 5-second head start for getting the right door... in the next room there's either an opposite-color ghost just waiting to convert you or all your ghosts are a million miles away? The net result is, your 5-second advantage is wasted.

lol, have to say that as I've been playing the mansion game more I've started to notice this, have also found that (this may just be my computer) but when using the mouse to move, I don't have that head start, my player won't go until the clock is gone.

take that jediMihawk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    I will generally score my best when playing with a skilled opponent. They will keep their ghosts cleared and out of my way. When playing with a novice who just can't keep up, I find myself swarmed with their ghosts. This makes it difficult for me to get around.

There is one configuration of the "Stretching Room" that is just impossible! It's the one with the zig-zag balustrades on the ground floor. The barriers make it really tricky to avoid the enemy.

I know which configuration you're talking about. You have to be quick on the move in that one. There's still two "lines" of play. Meaning you can walk down one line and the ghost can be on the other. You just have to know when to switch lines to avoid them.

And yes, it seems like 90% of the time you are surrounded by opposing ghosts with a head start. If you can get past them, it's no big deal. If you get caught, then yeah, the head start is wasted.

As always LittleDragonErin, GREAT GUIDE! I think my best score so far is exactly 70 so I still have a little ways to go. I was playing against another competitve player and we scored exactly the same. We had similar styles of play which helped kept the ghosts flowing. I'm sure I can get better scores once I get a new computer (this one keeps freezing in the middle of all the games exept fireworks). But again just out of curiosity, what type of computer do you use?

I am not a bad player but I like reading your guide :-)
    Just a thing :
    "Other players that get caught by ghosts (ghosted) will give you double points. This is great when playing for credits. But this does not count towards quest quotas."

Catching an opponent as a ghost does not count in the credits
    Last edited by Kasiks; 09-30-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    =)

• Senior Minion

thanks for the tips
    but i can't seem to figure out the arrows when playing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast