Disney opening a game studio to develop for Nintendo systems

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZYiQeR40dlI

interesting news if I remeber right Disney already bought a development team or two

hopefully they do good developing for their own franchises now

Re: Disney opening a game studio to develop for Nintendo systems

Disney usualy sucks at Video Games but maybe this will help? All I can say is thank god they did not mention Kingdom Hearts even if they tried Square would sue hehe

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Magus View Post
    Disney usualy sucks at Video Games but maybe this will help? All I can say is thank god they did not mention Kingdom Hearts even if they tried Square would sue hehe
    Ditto. Buena Vista Games are synonymous with synergy craptastic lets-make-a-dollar-while-this-franchise-is-hot titles.

They have purchased a lot of development teams, so we'll see if they ma a turn around. My money's on no. There's only so much depth a That's So Raven game is going to have...

Quote Originally Posted by Magus View Post
    I haven't played anything recent honestly I remeber when I was a kid the Capcom liscence games would be hit and miss. Kind of like their handling of most of their IP's though Megaman is a good example of this being fresh at the start of a series then running itself thin with eight reinterations and heck DMC3 was only made because of the backlash they got for doing so poor in DMC2 (Capcom seems to only try hard if the fangroups push them to)

I have mixed feelings on this, Disney has been getting increasingly serious about investing in the gaming market which is probably a good thing

but on the other hand these are going to be games developed for marketing synergy, so you can't expect too much development time and therefore they are going to be very formulaic

and the games will be movie based which means you shouldn't expect much
    there

however there are also a few positives from what I've heard of this so far. one being that since it will all be developed within the same company we can expect to see the animators and writers working more closly with the videogame interpitations then before so that the animations and story's will tie together better. Disney is supposedly looking for the games to inter the relms of spinoffs or subplots to the movie rather then just linearly retelling the movie's story.

and supposedly Chicken Little for the Wii was a little bit more progressive then other film based games

as far as Beuna Vista itself goes didn't they copublish Kingdom Hearts with SquareEnix? I'm sure SquareEnix is going to have a much larger say in what system it gets released for unless something big happens in how the market gets divided up this time around.

also I'd swear that one of the studios Disney bought to create the whole Beuna Vista game publishing thing was the same studio that made Turrok o_O does that mean Turrok is a disney owned franchise?

The first turok was made by Acclaim. The 3rd turok which isnt being released till 2007 is being made byBuena Vista Games and Propaganda Games.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    however there are also a few positives from what I've heard of this so far. one being that since it will all be developed within the same company we can expect to see the animators and writers working more closly with the videogame interpitations then before so that the animations and story's will tie together better. Disney is supposedly looking for the games to inter the relms of spinoffs or subplots to the movie rather then just linearly retelling the movie's story.
    RARELY do the people from the film contribute anything to a videogame other than voices. It would cost a fortune to get all the people from an animated film to have a say so in a videogame...

as far as Beuna Vista itself goes didn't they copublish Kingdom Hearts with SquareEnix? I'm sure SquareEnix is going to have a much larger say in what system it gets released for unless something big happens in how the market gets divided up this time around.
    All Buena Vista did is tell Square how not to use Disney characters and licensed material. Everything else was purely Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    RARELY do the people from the film contribute anything to a videogame other than voices. It would cost a fortune to get all the people from an animated film to have a say so in a videogame...

All Buena Vista did is tell Square how not to use Disney characters and licensed material. Everything else was purely Square.

actualy most lisenced games DON'T use the voice actors they use imitators o_o I've heard Xplay slams this on many a movie based game review so I really don't think you can count voices in this unless it's stock footage (or would that be stock tracks?)

and I doubt that all the people from an animated film would have a say in the game but I do think that a few creative people might get more consultive rights (maybe a lesser role then whatever Role Peter Jackson had in the King Kong video game since Peter Jackson is so controling and likes putting Peter Jackson on everything)

I mean I know your never going to see the animators from a film make the cutscenes and character animations for the game that'd be rediculous (and heck it being on the Wii doesn't justify those costs either since the Wii's realtime rendering capabilities woudln't warrent that investment)

and yeah I'm aware of SquareEnix's influence on Kingdom Hearts, it is definatly mostly a SquareEnix creation in story and presentation but Disney does have a little say in it but ultimatly the console it appears on will be a SquareEnix decision

Disney's concerns are only going to lie with the presentation of their own IP's

Well said. It took 2 games to get Mickey out and talking more often but it still was not enough for me

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    and yeah I'm aware of SquareEnix's influence on Kingdom Hearts, it is definatly mostly a SquareEnix creation in story and presentation but Disney does have a little say in it but ultimatly the console it appears on will be a SquareEnix decision

Disney's concerns are only going to lie with the presentation of their own IP's
    The costs to develop KH for the Wii would be nuts. They'd have to dumb everything down to work within the Wii's specs. They'd also have to come up with a radically different control scheme.

Let's face it folks, the Wii is just not built for games that require multiple actions to be done at once. In KH, you're attacking while choosing spells, and calling summons. That's going to be REALLY hard to do while swinging a Wii-mote around and choosing options with the nunchuk.

And why would Disney have a say in what console KH comes out in? They just flat out don't know anything about games...

The costs to develop KH for the Wii would be nuts. They'd have to dumb everything down to work within the Wii's specs. They'd also have to come up with a radically different control scheme.

Let's face it folks, the Wii is just not built for games that require multiple actions to be done at once. In KH, you're attacking while choosing spells, and calling summons. That's going to be REALLY hard to do while swinging a Wii-mote around and choosing options with the nunchuk.

And why would Disney have a say in what console KH comes out in? They just flat out don't know anything about games...
    I do not get your cost thing at all o_O the Wii is cheaper to develop for then the PS3. How would they have to dumb anything down Kingdom Hearts has so far been only on PS2 and the GC was more powerful then the PS2 and the Wii has pretty much twice every stat that the GC has. The control scheme would have to be changed but not radicaly so.

the Wiimote has more then enough buttons along with the analog stick I don't see what the difficutly would be in swinging the controller and hitting a button or two, it's no different then how you already hit multiple buttons now. If the Zelda controls are any clue then it could be mapped out just fine the real question is weather or not Kingdom Hearts would benifit from it or not (it'd require more tweaks to the swordplay to make it a bit more entertaining and controlable then it is now)

because Disney is co publishing these things now and is taking a bigger interest in games? I said they'd have some say I didn't say they'd have any sort of huge control over it, obviously SquareEnix is the biggest controler and decision maker on how they design at least the gameplay parts of it. no matter what I really doubt the game would be multiconsole since that's ussualy not SquareEnix's style (though that could change)

I'm realitivly neutral on were Kingdom Hearts ends up in reality. SquareEnix knows what it's doing and they'll place it on whatever console they chose weather it be a Wii edition or weather it be a PS3 edition that uses the FFXIII attack engine (or whatever it's called). I think the best arguement for not moving it would be that they'd want to have the triology all fit together on one console (of course Sora's story is supposed to be finished in the second)

I don't really wanna turn this into a Kingdom Hearts discussion it's already got it's own thread

I just find Disney's expansion into the game market very interesting and I'll be curious about weather or not this improves the handling of their TVshows and movies into games and weather or not Disney can get their studios to produce good gamers games as well