• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Gametap. Any reviews?

I just caught on to Gametap. I'm already a RealArcade member, and have not been impressed with the latest offerings. Is Gametap a better choice?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Re: Gametap. Any reviews?

I love GameTap. Between the 700+ games it offers now, Sam & Max, GameTap TV, and the upcoming MMOAG* Uru Live, I have been loving GameTap. Not many issues, and well worth the $10 (or less if you buy ahead) a month. I own alot of these old games, but GameTap is one easy place to play them all.

Full list of games here. If you join through this special link, you can also help support Uru Live even more!

*(Massively Multiplayer Online Adventure Game)
    -Monorail Man

For full PC games, how many times do you have to download? Once or every time you play? What's the time to load up?

• Earth Intruder

I love Gametap also!!! Lots of the old games do not work without hours and hours of PC tweaking (i.e. the old Kings Quest/Space Quest games), but gametap runs them perfectly. Revisiting those old games is like revisiting old childhood friends!

I played through the Sam and Max Episode I which was FANTASTIC. (I just wish they had some of the old Lucasarts SCUMM games up there... Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, the original Sam and Max game, etc.) but perhaps they will in the future.

And they REALLY need Ms. Pac Man on there -- the original Pac Man is fun, but Ms Pac is my FAVORITE arcade game ever (the original Ms. Pac Man, not all these cheapo crappy Flash versions haunting the Web).

The only game I ran into big problems with so far was Riven -- Gametap told me there were issues when one had Quicktime 7 installed, and lo and behold, the game did not load.

Other things I'd like to see with Gametap are the additions of Cheat Codes (Game Genie-style). Yeah, there are times you just want to fool around on those old games and not be frustrated so often, ya know! Most game system emulators have some method of doing those.

Did I mention they have wonderful customer service at Gametap? Yeah I had an audio problem with Kings Quest 5, called up their tech support, talked to a really helpful guy, and got a date. Errr... I mean my problem fixed. But he sounded cute.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

I was hoping on more Intellivision games, but what the have seems pretty good.

• Earth Intruder

Nana for old games it takes seconds to load up. For newer games (since it needs to download the entire game) it can take a while. It is on broadband, at least.

Basically after the gametap software loads, each game you can choose has its own "card", which has controls, instructions, downloads, extras, add to favorites etc. You click on "download", which downloads it to your drive. Then every time you go back to that game's card, it's already downloaded in your computer. It's not like it streams all the data from a server each time you play, if that was what you were wondering.

Also you can chat with people via AIM while in the Gametap program, there's some limited "Gametap TV" options (cartoon network, space ghost, etc.).

I am trying it for two months before deciding how much I like it (and so far I like it a lot). I think they are having a "second month free" special. So that works out to $5 a month for the first two months just to check it out, and I seem to be using it often. Already played through the Kings Quest series, and I am working on Sword of Vermillion! Havent played that in years.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

I see you can have multiple accounts for family members. Could my wife and I go head to head on a game online, ie using 2 computers on the same network?

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Basically after the gametap software loads, each game you can choose has its own "card", which has controls, instructions, downloads, extras, add to favorites etc. You click on "download", which downloads it to your drive. Then every time you go back to that game's card, it's already downloaded in your computer. It's not like it streams all the data from a server each time you play, if that was what you were wondering.
    Yes, that's exactly what I was wondering, Thank you.