Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Wii outsells PS3 by a long shot!!!!

nexgenwars.com

its sold more than 460,000 in one day!!!

• no flash photography...

Re: Wii outsells PS3 by a long shot!!!!

is that because there were more wii's produced than ps3's?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

As I understand, only 400,000 PS3s were shipped to the US to start with.

As this article points out, over 1 million Wii's were shipped to North America, as opposed to less than half of that for PS3.

The lower price point on the Wii may also have something to do with it. I've preordered my Wii, at any rate, just no a PS3 (yet). Waiting to see if the local price drops before the March 2007 (alleged) release date.

Still, good to see the Wii doing well!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Vehicle rotating backward

So, when you manufacture a product with parts that allow for better yields and sell it at a lower price, you'll move more units?!

Wow!

• Circle of Ancients

^ LOL!!!

You mean when you make enough units to satisfy demand you will sell alot??? SHOCKER!!!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ LOL!!!

You mean when you make enough units to satisfy demand you will sell alot??? SHOCKER!!!
    But what makes the news? That people showed up, purchased the items they desired and went home happy consumers or that some guy shot up a video game store trying to get the latest must have item. It worked pretty well with PlayStation 2, why not try it with 3?

• Pilot EdForceOne

well obviously Nintendo is focusing on a different demographic.. hoping to expand the gamer 'core audience'. Its a risk, but as much as Nintendo isn't the favorite of the hard core gamer.. Nintendo does quite well for itself.

Basically you don't have to appease the hard-core types to be successful. Just look at the success of the DS. Run away hit..

Or Nintendogs.. how many IGN readers would be fans of that?

• Minion

There were less than 100,000 PS3's shipped to the U.S.

It's kind of a "duh" factor that the Wii would sell more.

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I've heard more hype for the Wii, then I have for the PS3...I think Sony dropped the ball this time around.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    I've heard more hype for the Wii, then I have for the PS3...I think Sony dropped the ball this time around.
    Meh, they both appeal to two vastly different markets. The hardcore gamers are going to go with Sony, and players who like a more simplisitic gameplay experience will take interest in the Wii.

Nintendo's primary focus is to pull in non-gamers and create a new piece of market share. I don't think it will happen, non-gamers are going to spontaneously become avid gamers over the span of a console's life, and even if they did, they're not likely to cross over into the likes of Halo type games. It's all going to boil down to who has the best software.

While the PS3 seems to be needlessly expensive, over the course of the console's life, HD content will become more and more prevalent. Many of us will have HDTV's, and soon television will be broadcast primarily in HD. With the PS3 being able to update itself with new features, it ensure's it's relevancy.

The Wii borders on gimmicky novelty, and true innovation. If they fail to deliver quality third party games on a consistent basis, they'll "lose" this generation.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Actually, estimates have been rolling in that Sony didn't even make their 400,000 target... more like 200,000 now.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Meh, they both appeal to two vastly different markets. The hardcore gamers are going to go with Sony, and players who like a more simplisitic gameplay experience will take interest in the Wii.
    From what I've seen at college (and I think college is a great place to see video gaming in society) Hardcore gamers are going with the 360, I've hardly heard any Playstation talk. The most I've heard about playstation is concerning the Guitar Hero games, and that will soon be available on the 360. If it wasn't for that games popularity on campus, I don't think I would have heard the word playstation in the last month.

The Wii, however...I've heard a lot of people talking about it.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    From what I've seen at college (and I think college is a great place to see video gaming in society) Hardcore gamers are going with the 360, I've hardly heard any Playstation talk. The most I've heard about playstation is concerning the Guitar Hero games, and that will soon be available on the 360. If it wasn't for that games popularity on campus, I don't think I would have heard the word playstation in the last month.

The Wii, however...I've heard a lot of people talking about it.
    I think that's a given. With the PS3, initially all we had to go by was graphics. It's not until gamers get a chance to experience it first hand that talk will circulate.

With the Wii however, the drastically different change in Nintendo's control scheme made it the console of interest for everyone in the gaming industry, as well as make the average gamer consider all the new possibilities that the controller could enable.

Personally, I think it's risky to bank a console's success on a controller. Each of Nintendo's controllers have added something new to gaming. But shortly after launch, no one cared. The analog stick was a big deal, and everyone talked about how much fun it was to play FPS games with it... But the Playstation continued to lead. I think it's a novelty that will wear off. Every FPS is going to be point and shoot. Sports games will involve the same motions as well...

I think the control scheme is going to get really old, really fast.

That having been said, Red Steel looks like a LOT of fun, and I can't wait to play it!

There were less than 100,000 PS3's shipped to the U.S.

It's kind of a "duh" factor that the Wii would sell more.
    It was more than that but if there were one million Wii's and only 400000 or so sold that means the PS3 out sold considering that all of them sold basicly.

I think that's a given. With the PS3, initially all we had to go by was graphics. It's not until gamers get a chance to experience it first hand that talk will circulate.

With the Wii however, the drastically different change in Nintendo's control scheme made it the console of interest for everyone in the gaming industry, as well as make the average gamer consider all the new possibilities that the controller could enable.

Personally, I think it's risky to bank a console's success on a controller. Each of Nintendo's controllers have added something new to gaming. But shortly after launch, no one cared. The analog stick was a big deal, and everyone talked about how much fun it was to play FPS games with it... But the Playstation continued to lead. I think it's a novelty that will wear off. Every FPS is going to be point and shoot. Sports games will involve the same motions as well...

I think the control scheme is going to get really old, really fast.

That having been said, Red Steel looks like a LOT of fun, and I can't wait to play it!
    Red Steel got a 5.something on Gamespot out of 10 not looking good for them lol.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast